Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5T Pings/Knocks w/87 Octane...please try to hear your engine if you have the same

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT

Most modern engines have a knock sensor that the ECU uses to monitor fuel quality - the ECU constantly adjusts the ignition timing and other parameters (boost pressure, etc.) to be right at the threshold of knock.

It isn't surprising that you started hearing pinging when you switched to 91 from 87 - the engine was running with parameters that the ECU found that worked with 91 octane gas. If it doesn't stop, you either have a problem with the engine, or the gasoline you are using is <87 octane and the ECU can't pull enough timing to fix the issue.

Personally, I'd stop buying gas from whatever station you bought the "87" octane gas from and try another. I have a Subaru that needs 93 octane gas or it pings like crazy - some gas that is "93" octane works fine while gas from other stations results in mild detonation. It's possible that for whatever reason, your engine is slightly more sensitive to fuel quality than others on here.
    Last edited by jal142; 03-20-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Registered Member

CX-9

Can always disconnect the battery for a few hours to reset the ECU.

Maybe it'll relearn the fuel parameters.

Still sounds like bad fuel. Put some octane booster in it with 87 or fill up with 91 or higher. I bet it the noise goes away.

If it doesn't you tell Mazda you've tried everything and the noise persists. Don't leave until it's fixed.

Ping / Knock is not good. Detonation on a forced induction can do harm after time.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX9 Signature, 2013 Merc GLK350 4Matic, 2001 S2000

Thanks to all for the replies.....I recently burned off that tank of 87 from Esso and filled up with 87 Shell.... will report later

Registered Member

CX-9 Azami Auspec

Did this rectify itself? I am having a similar issue with 33 degree celsius heat and 91 ron unleaded..... only shown up since the heat.

Registered Member

2 Maxx, CX-9 Azami

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy25 View Post
    Did this rectify itself? I am having a similar issue with 33 degree celsius heat and 91 ron unleaded..... only shown up since the heat.
    Hey Foxy,

We bought our Azami in Feb this year and it was pretty bl00dy hot for the first few weeks we had her. There was no no pinging or knocking in our car when running on 91. Having said that, I noticed that on 98 octane the fuel consumption improved sufficiently to cover the extra cost of the premium fuel so we only ever fill her up on 98 these days.

Its possible that the fuel economy was going to improve anyway as the engine ticked over 5K km, but from what I understand fuel quality in Australia isn't the best so I figured we might as well not risk the lessor fuel on the 9.

Good luck.

BMW &amp; Mazda Enthusiast GJ-Molestor's Avatar

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6

Why is everyone using 87 octane fuel?

As long as you are using ethanol free 91 fuel, youíre going to save on fuel to the point where the extra cost for 91 is almost completely negated, especially considering that you get an extra 40 HP from switching. This helps get the car up to speed more effortlessly with less throttle and the car will run better.

Itís either you people stick to one type of fuel or the other, try not to switch back and forth too much

Registered Member

2016 cx9

NYC no 91gas!

BMW &amp; Mazda Enthusiast GJ-Molestor's Avatar

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
    1. Can always disconnect the battery for a few hours to reset the ECU.

2. Maybe it'll relearn the fuel parameters.

Still sounds like bad fuel. Put some octane booster in it with 87 or fill up with 91 or higher. I bet it the noise goes away.

If it doesn't you tell Mazda you've tried everything and the noise persists. Don't leave until it's fixed.

Ping / Knock is not good. Detonation on a forced induction can do harm after time.
    1. No. never reset your ECU like this.

2. The ECU will adapt and change parameters on it's own within 400KM

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

U.S. & Canada gasoline octane numbers are 4 to 6 numbers lower than other parts of the world, because a different measuring scale is used. Australian 91 is very similar to U.S. & Canadian 87.

Registered Member

CX-9 Azami Auspec

Any update Thugsy?? When mine does this the clicking noise is very obvious and loud, from centre RHS of the car......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12