CX-5 Diesel--worth the price premium?

Yeah, I get that, that's why as someone who lives overseas and travels a lot, I always introduce myself as a New Yorker, rather than an American... that subtle difference colors almost every conversation that I have with most non Americans (and Americans as well, actually, although often non coastal Americans have some sort of bias against us - LOL).

Interesting! As someone who doesn't travel, I could really give a s*** about other people's opinions in other countries about my country. When I DO travel, as in, go to Mexico, I speak Spanish, and I abide by their laws, and their customs, and I do not expect them to go one inch out of their way for the gringo. Their house, their rules. Similarly, I do not expect them to care one bit about my opinion of their country when in MY country, nor do I feel like it's my problem to accommodate them unless I'm at work, and then that falls under my job description.

That said, I enjoy reading about your view, as someone who is opposite of myself.

VW's newer TDI engines are far from trouble free. Cracked DPF's, failing high pressure fuel pumps, intercooler icing, some very costly repairs. The older TDI engines were a different story, mostly very reliable but some were still problem engines especially the ones used in the B5.5 Passat with the balance shaft and camshaft failures.

TDIs also had/have an issue with oil dilution, particularly while using biodiesel. VW sent out letters to some owners warning (me included) of this and recommended changing the oil if it got above a certain level.

Yeah, I get that, that's why as someone who lives overseas and travels a lot, I always introduce myself as a New Yorker, rather than an American... that subtle difference colors almost every conversation that I have with most non Americans (and Americans as well, actually, although often non coastal Americans have some sort of bias against us - LOL).

I worked in Saudi Arabia for 53 days - yeah I counted days. I used to live in a compound for foreigners - this is what we had for security to get to our own apartments:
One Gate - similar to railway crossing ones - two guards with AK47s.
Followed by a bunker of sort with sand bags and a mounted machine gun with a man on it - 24 hours. Followed by a Wall - with a gate - this had a normal blue shirt security (not armed used for small fixes like plumbing etc.) they controlled the gate.
Finally a Ford or some sort of truck circling the Wall - with a manned machine gun in the back again 24 hours.

In a mall there - if you switched your Bluetooth on - there were tons of youngsters trying to socialize who cannot do so openly and they have something called a religious police - you dont screw around with them - you actually get out of the way if your blocking them, god forbid if they bump into you, you better have some deep pockets and connections to get out of their alive.

Cultures man. Having said that I saw one of most beautiful women in a McD there. Her was skin was almost like a layer of milk - didnt feel like skin :D

I've been interested in a diesel CX-5 since 2013

[*] MPG estimates? I've read some out there getting 40 - 50 mpg? (eek2)

I have a late 2014 2.2 diesel AWD 175bhp with automatic transmission and get around 40mpg (UK imperial gals) over the last 3000 miles, on mainly highway roads. I calculate that to be about 33.33mpg (US gals). Generally I've found diesels get a bit better with warmer weather so, although I haven't owned my car for long, I expect to get maybe 5% better in summer. The car has covered 28000 miles since new, so it's 'worn in'.

The route to work is in the middle of the night on empty roads at maybe 65mph, and the way home during the afternoon is in busier traffic but I'm more tempted to sit around 5-10mph faster. It's a bit hilly which eats away at the economy. On a flat road with a light foot I can get the computer to read over 55mpg but it always settles down to my aforesaid average 40 ish (actual) over a tankful. I'd assume the lower 150bhp output engine, or the fwd versions, or the manual transmission versions (particularly the 150bhp fwd manual) would fare better. BTW my computer reads about 10% high, but my figures are 'actual', calculated by brim to brim calculations.

Hope this helps :)

It will be interesting to see the real world experience here once it makes it here. I am a huge diesel fan and my daily drivers for the last 11 yrs has been 3/4 Dodge diesel trucks but now I no longer need to drive one everyday I bought the cx5 to be my daily driver. I love the way diesels tend to drive with the extra torque but the diesel fuel here in VA is about 20% higher than gas so it takes some much better mpg to really pay for its self. I tend to average about 25 in my 2.5 AWD but generally I am either I. The city running around or I and on the interstate doing 80 so it's not conducive to great economy. My 2011 truck has been completely decluttered of all emissions stuff but my 2014 still has everything and probably will stay that way. It seems like the newer ones that use DEF( 2011 did not use it) get better mileage and have tended to be more reliable but I only put about 85k on the 2014 and now something one else is driving it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So you have this sleek looking new CX-5. Forget the cost savings in fuel. Do you want to add 310 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm to it or not? Keep it simple as that.

Or do you want a quite engine or a rattley one? Its not that simple.
Or should you ask " do I want a complicated engine covered in emissions equipment, or a simple NA petrol engine with more CC".

And the 310 is only a peak figure not available for long.

I do a fair number of shoet journies and then 400 miles 1 weekend in 4. I'm averaging 46 miles to the uk gallon.

And I average 36mpg UK if I'm lucky, and the average read out is at least 2.5mpg optimistic.
3 mpg goes for the auto, and 3 mpg for AWD.

Its illegal now in the UK to remove one.

Contrary to what I've heard from diesel owners. Honestly I'd have the dpf disable via tune, and remove amd bypass the def. Diesel dont get smog in texas (and some other state) so all that equip is unneeded and rob performance.

It's illegal everywhere in the states just some states don't actually look for it because there's no emissions testing. EPA regs trump all state laws when it comes to emissions.

My 2015 car still has the same oil rise as my 2013 car, so none of the updates have made any difference, it doesn't help when you interrupt a regen, which I have done twice this year.
This dumps more diesel into the oil sump, alternative is to get back in the car and drive round until the regen concludes.

High tech isn't it.

TDIs also had/have an issue with oil dilution, particularly while using biodiesel. VW sent out letters to some owners warning (me included) of this and recommended changing the oil if it got above a certain level.

Engine are rated 175ps and 150ps, not Bhp.

I have a late 2014 2.2 diesel AWD 175bhp with automatic transmission and get around 40mpg (UK imperial gals) over the last 3000 miles, on mainly highway roads. I calculate that to be about 33.33mpg (US gals). Generally I've found diesels get a bit better with warmer weather so, although I haven't owned my car for long, I expect to get maybe 5% better in summer. The car has covered 28000 miles since new, so it's 'worn in'.

The route to work is in the middle of the night on empty roads at maybe 65mph, and the way home during the afternoon is in busier traffic but I'm more tempted to sit around 5-10mph faster. It's a bit hilly which eats away at the economy. On a flat road with a light foot I can get the computer to read over 55mpg but it always settles down to my aforesaid average 40 ish (actual) over a tankful. I'd assume the lower 150bhp output engine, or the fwd versions, or the manual transmission versions (particularly the 150bhp fwd manual) would fare better. BTW my computer reads about 10% high, but my figures are 'actual', calculated by brim to brim calculations.

Hope this helps :)

Or should you ask " do I want a complicated engine covered in emissions equipment, or a simple NA petrol engine with more CC".

By most accounts, the Mazda 2.2L diesel isn't particularly noisier than the petrol. Granted I haven't yet heard one myself obviously being in Canada.

I'll give you the more complicated emissions equipment, it is what it is.

Yes, that's the peak. If I recall I think it's still North of 275 lb ft from something like 1700-3800 RPM though which is still pretty darn good.

So are the diesel owners here saying not to get the diesel CX-5 when it becomes available later this year here in the US? It seems to be a popular option in Japan and Australia.

No I'm giving you the facts of my own experience, once you are aware of the issues you can be prepared for them. checking oil levels really is a must do at least weekly, or you can end up being towed to the garage, I recommend oil changes no longer than 7K miles.

In Australia lots of owners have had replacement engines, look at whirlpool cx-5 forum.

I would not own one with out a Mazda warranty, which means Mazda servicing in the uk.

An example.
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?board=14.0

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=618.0

The performance is excellent, and the engine quiet when in the cabin.
Torque spread is good, but the BMW 2L, Volvo 2L, Landrover 2L, all have a better spread of torque and lower down the rev range, that was not the case in 2013, it took the opposition some time to catch up.

By most accounts, the Mazda 2.2L diesel isn't particularly noisier than the petrol. Granted I haven't yet heard one myself obviously being in Canada.

I'll give you the more complicated emissions equipment, it is what it is.

Yes, that's the peak. If I recall I think it's still North of 275 lb ft from something like 1700-3800 RPM though which is still pretty darn good.

I have the 2014 CX5 diesel. My engine doesn't rattle at all. It's as quiet as the gasoline. I've compared them. Elsewhere you claim that there's lots of other maintenance issues. Umm, really? Weekly oil checks? I never check mine. Period. Ever. The dealer maintenance light comes on about 300km before it's due for service and I bring it in. Living in Hiroshima where they are made, I'd say, safely about 5 to 10% of the cars on the road are CX-5's and nearly half of them diesel, and I've never heard of any of the troubles you describe. If you don't want a diesel, don't get one, but I suggest that others go to the dealer and compare them in person when they become available in their region.

I have the 2014 CX5 diesel. My engine doesn't rattle at all. It's as quiet as the gasoline. I've compared them. Elsewhere you claim that there's lots of other maintenance issues. Umm, really? Weekly oil checks? I never check mine. Period. Ever. The dealer maintenance light comes on about 300km before it's due for service and I bring it in. Living in Hiroshima where they are made, I'd say, safely about 5 to 10% of the cars on the road are CX-5's and nearly half of them diesel, and I've never heard of any of the troubles you describe. If you don't want a diesel, don't get one, but I suggest that others go to the dealer and compare them in person when they become available in their region.
Based on this video, his 2017 Mazda CX-5 XD L Package 4WD diesel is not only noisy, but also having plenty of smoke when he revved the engine. :)

Based on this video, his 2017 Mazda CX-5 XD L Package 4WD diesel is not only noisy, but also having plenty of smoke when he revved the engine. :)

I'm not going to fight with you. I have one. I've compared it. Go by whatever you want to believe.

I have a late 2014 2.2 diesel AWD 175bhp with automatic transmission and get around 40mpg (UK imperial gals) over the last 3000 miles, on mainly highway roads. I calculate that to be about 33.33mpg (US gals).
that would put it only about 2mpg above the regular 2.5L gas engine.
dang.

I was hoping for much better than that. (at least 35+ to make it worth the cost premium)

So, with that in mind we should take guesses on what it ends up averaging (per EPA)
I'm putting the over/under at 36 mpg on the highway.

Any takers?

That looked like oil smoke which isn't surprising considering revving a just started and unheated turbo engine. Look how much h20 came out.

Back