CX-5 Diesel--worth the price premium?

I want a diesel badly. I've done the research. DEF fillups aren't bad. The filter looks to be not all that hard to access

It's easy to replace fuel filter for Mazda6 diesel. Remove two bolts that holds filter box, remove two hoses (in/out) and cable. Take "box" out, replace new filter, put back and connect everything again. Operate manual fuel pump till it gets stiffen. And that's all.. Main fuel filter is "under hood", not in tank..

YMMV if the Mazda6 diesel will be the same as the CX-5. Yet to figure out the cost of a DEF filter replacement. Looked into additives that are already in winterized D1 D2 fuel. So I shouldn't need to add anything more to the gas unless we are talking -10 or worse, which does happen in Minnesota.
All of that is all well and fine. The problem is the damn thing won't be out until fall / end of year, and no price tag associated with it yet. After losing my car in Dec I've been running an Enterprise rent-a-car for the last few months which is starting to get spendy. I suppose I could spend a grand and a half on a beater to last me 8 month but I had a road trip planned with friends for June and I'm not driving a beater 1600 miles. I really wish Mazda hadn't delayed this until end of year. I know they have their reasons. But it sucks.
DEF filter? DEF is Diesel Exhaust Fluid such as urea. The quote you have is for fuel filter replacement. DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) is entirely different thing.

⋯ in Japan it saves us a sh!tload of money (remember, it costs about four times as much for fuel here), the government sends us an annual check for it, that subsidizes the extra cost of the engine.

I vote yes for the CX-5 diesel.
In Asia it's common diesel fuel is subsidized by the government due to the need by the public transportation which uses diesel fuel. Low diesel price is a big incentive for consumers there buying more expensive diesel vehicles. But producing diesel fuel does require more processes and the diesel price at the US pump will be higher most of time!

I can see it being very expensive. However I don't know how you solve that issue with an inattentive driver/owner. The best solution seems to be, to not drive a diesel at all, which isn't really a solution. I mean how else can you forcibly stop someone from filling up with gas instead of diesel. I'm not criticizing your post, I'm seriously trying to find a way to solve the misfueling issue.

I agree, it's on the driver to put the right fuel in the tank. VW tried to keep people from getting it wrong by using what they called a 'miss-fueling device'. It worked mostly but when you try to idiot proof something...

I never had an issue getting the right fuel. I have a diesel pick-up and never had any problem with that either.

Over the last 6 months or so, it appears that diesel is consistently 10 - 15 cents a gallon cheaper.

I'm in Vancouver and diesel prices are presently ~$0.18CDN/Liter (or ~$0.72CDN/Gal) less than 'regular' gas.

I for one am planning on getting the diesel. The mileage will be good for commuting, the torque for 'zoom-zooming' and for towing our small trailer.

I thought there was a component of DEF that needs to be replaced from time to time? Not a filter, then something else? The quote I had WAS for the fuel filter. I was listing off some of the additional complexities that diesel brings to the table.

Last edited:
that's a good cost savings for you guys up North.
It's doubtful I'll ever tow much but it'll be nice to have the option to do so if needed. :)

I mainly just want the diesel for the added torque and fuel mileage as I tend to put a lot of miles on my cars.

Last edited:
⋯ In two years of my Jetta TDI's ownership put 178,000KM's down
I think it'd be a mistake if you're trying to compare the longevity of proven VW TDI to Mazda's SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel and thinking all diesels are the same. If you care about diesel dilution problem on SA-D, you can read through thousands of the posts and many of them are related to this problem. Although Mazda claimed the problem has been fixed via software updates, but I still see people are having this problem with less severity. Leaving an additional "X" mark at higher position on oil level dipstick for mandatory oil change is the indication that the oil rising problem is still there!

Engine Oil Rise

How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Cx5 lost compression - oil, turbo camshaft, EGR issue???

The 2.2 turbo diesel requires a oil that meets certain specifications, here in Aus they specify one that meets the Japansese JASO DL-1 specifications in a 5W30 or the APEA C1 equivalent. Full synthetic.

I would say there is a fair chance that the UK version would have the same spec for oil. Your manual will state the requirements, and it won't just be for any old 5W30 oil. Apart from anything else the DPF will be damaged or destroyed by using the wrong oil.

There are many 5W30 synthetic oils for diesels out there that do not meet the DL-1 or C1 specification. Ones that are certified and specced for VW's, for example, do not meet the specs for the Mazda 2.2 turbo diesel. You need to be very careful on your oil selections.

Apart from Mazda's own version, I could only find two here in Aus that meet the specs - one is a VALVOLINE Synpower Enviro C1 and the other is a PENRITE Enviro+ DL-1.

If the oil that's been used doesn't meet the Mazda specs then it's likely to be a contributing factor to a engine failure and Mazda will, with some justification, walk away. In that case I'd be going back to the local garage who did the servicing using the wrong spec oil and be having firm words with them. They would be paying the costs of repair.
Im afraid that the oil may well be part of your problem. It is important that these engines run on C2 or C3 oil which has a low ash content. Couple not using low ash oil with supermarket diesel and there is your problem. Supermarket diesel has little or none of the detergents that branded fuel has. The combination of poor fuel and the wrong oil wrecks many diesels in the UK.

Mazda do make it clear that the right oil should be used so a garage not using the right oil should be your first port of call. Take them to court if necessary.
European diesels have particulate filters in the exhaust as well as cats. They are very sensitive to the correct oil and fuel.

VW's newer TDI engines are far from trouble free. Cracked DPF's, failing high pressure fuel pumps, intercooler icing, some very costly repairs. The older TDI engines were a different story, mostly very reliable but some were still problem engines especially the ones used in the B5.5 Passat with the balance shaft and camshaft failures.

that's a good cost savings for you guys up North.
It's doubtful I'll ever tow much but it'll be nice to have the option to do so if needed. :)

I mainly just want the diesel for the added torque and fuel mileage as I tend to put a lot of miles on my cars.

The prices do fluctuate. I've seen diesel slightly above or on par with regular gas here and below. I'd say on average, it's about $0.10 less per liter most of the time though.

But yeah, I'm personally mostly interested for torque for daily driving (fun) and ability to tow. Any added fuel savings via price or MPG are a nice bonus.

Nah, it will only get 14 MPG at 90 MPG...

;)

Contrary to what I've heard from diesel owners. Honestly I'd have the dpf disable via tune, and remove amd bypass the def. Diesel dont get smog in texas (and some other state) so all that equip is unneeded and rob performance.

Contrary to what I've heard from diesel owners. Honestly I'd have the dpf disable via tune, and remove amd bypass the def. Diesel dont get smog in texas (and some other state) so all that equip is unneeded and rob performance.

Honestly, as much as I'm pro environment... If I get to 120k miles or whatever and the DPF does shart itself, I'd probably go that route at that point as well.

In Asia it's common diesel fuel is subsidized by the government due to the need by the public transportation which uses diesel fuel. Low diesel price is a big incentive for consumers there buying more expensive diesel vehicles. But producing diesel fuel does require more processes and the diesel price at the US pump will be higher most of time!
You say Asia as if it's one country. The policies on fuel vary greatly from country to country. I am not even talking about the price of fuel at the pump. I am talking about a specific government program that sends us an annual rebate of roughly $1000 USD for using the particular sort of efficient diesel engine that is in many Mazda cars. I sincerely doubt that this program is in effect in India, China, Mongolia, Nepal, Vietnam, Malaysia, Pakistan, and on and on.

Once Im out of warranty - if the DPF fails, then this is what will be happening:

https://chiptuning.com.au/dpf-removal-service/

As Chris said, DPF removed and a custom tune uploaded. Problem solved.

I would add to those considering a diesel CX5. Dont get one if you are just going to only do short trips around town. It is simply not intended for that kind of use. Our local auto organisations say the same and the Mazda dealers will tell you that as well.

If you want/need the extra torque (I tow a 1250kg boat with mine and launch and retrieve from some steep, slippery boat ramps so the petrol engine wasnt going to cut the mustard) or you intend to do longer daily communtes (more than half an hour drive each way including some 80km/hr stretches) and some reasonably regular longer trips, then the diesel is great.

I am a firm believer in good clean oil being an engine's lifeblood. The recommended change interval here from Mazda is every 10,000km. But I am doing mine at half that - every 5000km.

I'm using the Penrite 5W30 DL-1 full syn that fully complies with the Mazda specs (I pick it up on sale for $40 for 5 litres) and I am also supplying a container of it to the dealer to use when they do the 10k services (this saved me nearly $90 on my last service) so the cost compared to the dealer service every 10K is the same.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, but am pretty certain the Japanese ones wouldn't fit mine either.

The pump nozzles are different sizes here but only on the high volume diesel pumps used by trucks.

There are special caps you can get for diesel car fuel fillers that prevent the use of unleaded pump nozzles.

Where I worked, the commuter car fleet there was a mix of diesel and petrol engines. There were occasional mis-fuelling incidents, mostly unleaded being added to a diesel vehicle tanks. If realised quickly and the car not started, a drain and flush of the tanks and rails was enough.

But it really comes down to paying attention. There is a "diesel only" label on the inside of the fuel filler door on the CX5 to remind you.

You say Asia as if it's one country. The policies on fuel vary greatly from country to country. I am not even talking about the price of fuel at the pump. I am talking about a specific government program that sends us an annual rebate of roughly $1000 USD for using the particular sort of efficient diesel engine that is in many Mazda cars. I sincerely doubt that this program is in effect in India, China, Mongolia, Nepal, Vietnam, Malaysia, Pakistan, and on and on.

For Americans - Asia is one country. Its separated from another country Africa by sea.

For Americans - Asia is one country. Its separated from another country Africa by sea.
Yeah, I get that, that's why as someone who lives overseas and travels a lot, I always introduce myself as a New Yorker, rather than an American... that subtle difference colors almost every conversation that I have with most non Americans (and Americans as well, actually, although often non coastal Americans have some sort of bias against us - LOL).

Back