CX-5 Diesel--worth the price premium?

I've read some of the reports, as I am planning on buying the Skyactiv-D myself when it becomes available in the U.S. in the fall. I'm not even a Mazda owner at this point and have never owned one. From my perspective, there is zero evidence that the 2.2 liter diesel engine is less reliable overall than any other diesel engine. Certainly some owners have had issues with oil level, but again, no evidence that those issues are an inherent flaw in the basic engine design that affects anything but a small minority of vehicles and/or ones that are operated under unusual usage patterns. The people who don't have issues with their engines don't post on forums, so even if 200 separate people have posted about this issue (and that's probably a stretch), there are literally hundreds of thousands of people who aren't having the issue or it isn't a big enough problem to warrant internet posting.
Exactly this. When it gets closer to your purchase time, please feel free to ask any questions about the new one. I'm getting mine in a few weeks.

Exactly this. When it gets closer to your purchase time, please feel free to ask any questions about the new one. I'm getting mine in a few weeks.

Is the Japanese diesel going to have a urea system as well?

It would sure be nice to get more information on what exactly is coming to North America. Mileage, HP and torque numbers etc.

j.r.: I would think Mazda isn't installing that pisser tank unless they absolutely have to.
not sure what Japan's emission laws are but I would venture to guess they're not as mental....err... 'stringent' as ours here in the US

j.r.: I would think Mazda isn't installing that pisser tank unless they absolutely have to.
not sure what Japan's emission laws are but I would venture to guess they're not as mental....err... 'stringent' as ours here in the US
If you think Japanese laws aren't as stringent as US laws, you don't know Japan. ;)

Yet another fault that doesn't exist, updated today. (scratch)

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=598.msg4583;topicseen#msg4583

Looks like the same faults that have already been covered and largely dealt with (recall)... Second post on your link:

Firstly welcome to the forum. Sad to hear of your situation, but I'm afraid it is a well known problem that has been extremely well documented on this forum, going back for many years. These are some of the benefits of joining a forum early in your ownership of the car, instead of waiting until something dire happens.

Thank you for your warning, but some research here might have warned you earlier of the problems and the experiences of other members with this situation. This included a recall for vehicles of the same age as yours. Were you not informed of this by your dealership ?
Mazda knew about the camshaft heads disintegrating because of faulty hardening and the results of this including shedding of filings into the oil and ultimate Turbo failure.
It's all documented here. Have a search though the forum. There might be a snippet of information regarding communications with Mazda and other members, that might be of some use to you.

Xtrailman

If you're referring to the post by dcli001, according to his signature it is the petrol version he's got not the diesel version. (Unless it means that the petrol version now also suffers from filings from camshaft wear). If this is the case this issue is more widespread than originally thought (unamused)

That's usually the default settings which a newbie doesn't alter, yes I did notice, but a petrol car doesn't have a brake vacuum pump.

Xtrailman

If you're referring to the post by dcli001, according to his signature it is the petrol version he's got not the diesel version. (Unless it means that the petrol version now also suffers from filings from camshaft wear). If this is the case this issue is more widespread than originally thought (unamused)

Eh imo this is more of a do you wan't a mazdaspeed3 vs mazda3. More performance, more novelty/maintenance items.. (turbohs and associated systems.)

annnnnnd, California just ****** me.

Sponsored by Sen. Jim Beall, D-San Jose, SB 1 would raise $52.4 billion over 10 years for transportation by raising California’s gas excise tax 12 cents to 30 cents a gallon, with annual adjustments for inflation. Also, the diesel excise tax will go up 20 cents to 36 cents a gallon and the diesel sales tax will rise from 1.75 percent to 5.75 percent.
any fuel cost savings that MIGHT have been had by diesel owners is now gone. just like that...
for reference, Disel fuel is consistently 15-20 cents cheaper than 87 octane here in SoCal.

any fuel cost savings that MIGHT have been had by diesel owners is now gone. just like that...
for reference, Disel fuel is consistently 15-20 cents cheaper than 87 octane here in SoCal.
Damn that sucks.

Time to move Jedi? That sucks bruh.

California eh? Not surprised.

That sucks though.

finch: yup
jr: I'm SoCal born and raised but trust me, it's something I've contemplated quite a bit over the last few years. Problem is I own multiple properties in CA and I've got a great career here so it makes it difficult to just up and move.

Colorado: yeah, it shouldn't surprise me one bit to see them tax us more to maintain roads we're already being taxed to maintain. But... I was hoping that tax wouldn't hit diesels.
Plus the "adjustments for inflation" could be the real killer for everyone the next few years.

finch: yup
jr: I'm SoCal born and raised but trust me, it's something I've contemplated quite a bit over the last few years. Problem is I own multiple properties in CA and I've got a great career here so it makes it difficult to just up and move.

Colorado: yeah, it shouldn't surprise me one bit to see them tax us more to maintain roads we're already being taxed to maintain. But... I was hoping that tax wouldn't hit diesels.
Plus the "adjustments for inflation" could be the real killer for everyone the next few years.

Well you'd still have the fuel savings and extra torque!

For me California started off the emission controls, being known for stringent limits, and good for them, everyone wants clean air don't they?

Just take a look at the china F1 race, unable to even fly in the crap there breath in. Last year the race was a farce for me with the smog never really lifting.

Back