CX-5 Diesel--worth the price premium?

The new diesel CX-5 is being released later this year-maybe. I like the idea of a diesel, but basing it just on fuel $ savings does not seem to be enough.
I ran the numbers--at todays prices in my area (2.05 gas 2.27 diesel), running the diesel (probable 35 mpg average) vs a gas version (26 mpg average)
over 20,000 miles only saves you about $280.

I would assume the diesel option will raise the price of the CX-5 by $1,500?

lots of speculation on my part, but I wanted to see some numbers

DO you tow?

Diesel is $0.50 a gallon more or so. (Does it also get 25% better mileage? Why not compare it to the 2.0 that it competes with for acceleration, then, vs. the faster 2.5? Unless you tow...)
Diesel requires more maintenance.
Mazda sucks at making compliant AND reliable diesel.
Why are you driving a CUV if you tow? Don't you have a truck or something that you used for that before the CUV?
The diesel isn't any faster.

Last edited:
Just wanted to register and chime in here that no offence to anyone I really don't feel represented by the majority of sentiment in this thread today, although I see folks doing math it doesnt indicate where it will break even just throwing their hands up and going 'who's this for again?! Not me...'. That's fine it's not for you but this thread makes it sound like there's no need for these.

In two years of my Jetta TDI's ownership put 178,000KM's down and driving at highway speeds that'll mean some 40mpg's depending how spirited one chooses to be.

I owned 14mpg real world highway suv's and trucks, they're not affordable or environmental to drive.

The main reason I will seriously entertain this diesel is because the driving experience, combined with higher ride height, traditional transmission and fuel economy are all factors one can't ignore.

There's also no CVT in it which pleases me but everyone is different. Give me an FWD CX5 diesel with reasonable highway numbers and a reasonable maintenance schedule and that'll work nicely. Also the Chevy Equinox will have a diesel CUV coming out this summer according to their website, I'm paying close attention to that vehicles comfort, reviews and expect it to be cross researching the two for who gets the most reliable and comfortable ride.

Also if unobtainium is listening I've read all your most recent work in the past 1/mo it's wonderful to have vocal forum members such as yourself. There's a gentlemen who's owned like a dozen Mazda's (in his signature) so I know I'm in the right place here when he spends time on the CX5 forums mostly.

Thanks. Some people love me, some people hate (dislike?) me. That's great, I think. If everyone loves me, then either I'm lying to someone, or they are lying to themselves, lol!

No, Mazda could meet US diesel emission standard in 2013 if MazdA was willing to add urea injection. Somehow they didn't want to back then but now they're willing. I believe the reliability issues were also part of reason Mazda didn't make diesel available in US market earlier when diesel market was still stable.

Urea injection equipment is costly. At the time VW's were not using it and so they would have been at a price/performance disadvantage. Of course now we know how VW was using illegal means to improve performance while avoiding DEF.

I have a 2014 diesel CX-5 and we are trading it in for the 2017 model. We didn't even discuss it, in Japan it saves us a sh!tload of money (remember, it costs about four times as much for fuel here), the government sends us an annual check for it, that subsidizes the extra cost of the engine. Regarding oil, filters, and other added service costs, I wouldn't know, our dealer handles everything on the service checks, I never see a bill for anything. Regarding fuel, I just fill it at any gas station in the country and I've never had a problem with it.
The engine is nearly silent (the new one is quieter), no louder than the gasoline engine version. It's nearly odorless, there is no diesel stink. And the car moves really well, plenty of pep, and as I've mentioned elsewhere, my previous car was a fast MINI Cooper.
I vote yes for the CX-5 diesel.

Oh and I've got just under 40,000km on it, and I've filled the tank about five times over the three years. ;)

Great Topic thus far as I believe this could be an enticing option for some of us. Speaking for myself, I've been interested in a diesel CX-5 since 2013 when Mazda first spoke of it but couldn't get the performance they wanted without the Urea injection and they were convinced that it was possible due to VW's TDI's. Yeahhhhh.... about that...

• What are we estimating the premium to be on the Diesel?
  • Here in CA, Diesel is consistently cheaper than even regular 87 octane so there's a cost savings there for me (even if minnimal)
  • Never having owned a Diesel before, I'm more curious on the 'more maintenance' aspect of ownership. Can someone clarify how it's different than standard fuel cars? (I'll read that DPF thread in a few mins)
  • MPG estimates? I've read some out there getting 40 - 50 mpg? (eek2)

No, Mazda could meet US diesel emission standard in 2013 if MazdA was willing to add urea injection. Somehow they didn't want to back then but now they're willing. I believe the reliability issues were also part of reason Mazda didn't make diesel available in US market earlier when diesel market was still stable.
If I'm not mistaken, they didn't want to add urea injection to it because their diesel engines sold globally didn't need one. So they were trying to figure out a way to not use urea injection and still meet emissions standards here. They failed because what they ended up with was a diesel engine that did not have enough "zoom-zoom". I'm pretty sure they've just given up on not adding urea injection because they could not meet the emissions standards otherwise.

As far as the DPF goes, thanks to the people who brought that up. It seems to be something that a buyer will need to consider and research.

Another issue with diesels is miss-fueling. After getting our VW diesel and joining the TDI forum it was shocking to me how many careless folks filled their TDIs with gas instead of diesel. In the VW this can be a VERY costly mistake, possibly to the tune of ~$6k.

You folks overseas with a diesel, have you seen any of this?

Another issue with diesels is miss-fueling. After getting our VW diesel and joining the TDI forum it was shocking to me how many careless folks filled their TDIs with gas instead of diesel. In the VW this can be a VERY costly mistake, possibly to the tune of ~$6k.

You folks overseas with a diesel, have you seen any of this?
USA here, but we had a sales rep fill a diesel truck with gas once when I worked for Ford. They had to drop/siphon the tank. I forget which.

I don't know what to say about the issue of putting in gas instead of diesel, other than, user error...

Interesting that other areas of the county have lower prices at the pump for diesel than for gas. For years diesel has been more expensive around here than gas. At the moment diesel is about 30 cents more/gallon. ~$2.30 vs. $2.50

If a diesel vehicle is miss-fueled and the mistake is noted right away without the engine ever being started, that's one thing and a fairly easy fix. Drain the tank and refill with diesel for the most part. But if that vehicle is started and driven till the engine dies. That's a different kettle of fish and it's going to be very expensive.

If a diesel vehicle is miss-fueled and the mistake is noted right away without the engine ever being started, that's one thing and a fairly easy fix. Drain the tank and refill with diesel for the most part. But if that vehicle is started and driven till the engine dies. That's a different kettle of fish and it's going to be very expensive.
I can see it being very expensive. However I don't know how you solve that issue with an inattentive driver/owner. The best solution seems to be, to not drive a diesel at all, which isn't really a solution. I mean how else can you forcibly stop someone from filling up with gas instead of diesel. I'm not criticizing your post, I'm seriously trying to find a way to solve the misfueling issue.

I have never had an issue with misfiling here (whether myself or with an attendant). A million years ago (the '80's) my dad had a diesel VW Rabbit in the US (slowest car ever) and the tank had a different nozzle size (smaller than gas, iirc), so again, not a problem.
I'm never had any maintenance issues related to my 2014 CX-5 diesel. Nothing. At. All. Non-issue.

I know my diesel Jettas fill pipe was designed to not let a gas nozzle fit. I have literally tried it just for fun while at a multi gas/diesel pump.

I know my diesel Jettas fill pipe was designed to not let a gas nozzle fit. I have literally tried it just for fun while at a multi gas/diesel pump.

I haven't tried it, but am pretty certain the Japanese ones wouldn't fit mine either.

Interesting that other areas of the county have lower prices at the pump for diesel than for gas. For years diesel has been more expensive around here than gas. At the moment diesel is about 30 cents more/gallon. ~$2.30 vs. $2.50

Gas prices here in Orange County, CA

• Regular 87 - $3.09
  • Midgrade 89 - $3.25
  • Premium 91 - $3.35
  • Diesel - $2.95

Over the last 6 months or so, it appears that diesel is consistently 10 - 15 cents a gallon cheaper.

I want a diesel badly. I've done the research. DEF fillups aren't bad. The filter looks to be not all that hard to access

It's easy to replace fuel filter for Mazda6 diesel. Remove two bolts that holds filter box, remove two hoses (in/out) and cable. Take "box" out, replace new filter, put back and connect everything again. Operate manual fuel pump till it gets stiffen. And that's all.. Main fuel filter is "under hood", not in tank..

YMMV if the Mazda6 diesel will be the same as the CX-5. Yet to figure out the cost of a DEF filter replacement. Looked into additives that are already in winterized D1 D2 fuel. So I shouldn't need to add anything more to the gas unless we are talking -10 or worse, which does happen in Minnesota.
All of that is all well and fine. The problem is the damn thing won't be out until fall / end of year, and no price tag associated with it yet. After losing my car in Dec I've been running an Enterprise rent-a-car for the last few months which is starting to get spendy. I suppose I could spend a grand and a half on a beater to last me 8 month but I had a road trip planned with friends for June and I'm not driving a beater 1600 miles. I really wish Mazda hadn't delayed this until end of year. I know they have their reasons. But it sucks.

If you want a "mazdaspeed" it's the closest thkng your going to get right now. Awd and a tune is a great start. Bigger intercooler amd you'll start embarrassing people. Just too bad it comes to the us in the uglier body style

Back