CX-5 Diesel--worth the price premium?

slydog39

:
Subaru Forester
The new diesel CX-5 is being released later this year-maybe. I like the idea of a diesel, but basing it just on fuel $ savings does not seem to be enough.
I ran the numbers--at todays prices in my area (2.05 gas 2.27 diesel), running the diesel (probable 35 mpg average) vs a gas version (26 mpg average)
over 20,000 miles only saves you about $280.

I would assume the diesel option will raise the price of the CX-5 by $1,500?

lots of speculation on my part, but I wanted to see some numbers

So you have this sleek looking new CX-5. Forget the cost savings in fuel. Do you want to add 310 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm to it or not? Keep it simple as that.

We could get a bit of data about the price premium by looking at the other countries where it has been available for several years.

However we still will not have any concrete msrp's until the spec sheets are released by Mazda North America.

All we can do for now is estimate, and looking at your numbers, I do not see anything that looks odd or out of range. (except comparing your AL prices to CALIFORNIA avg prices) ($3.01 reg, and $2.94 diesel as of 3/13/17) From this site https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_sca_w.htm

Add in a DPF replacement along the way, that will offset your savings even more. Your real gain will be torque, don't even consider a monetary savings because they're non-existent. New age diesels in the states just aren't money saving anymore with all the emissions crap. This coming from an owner/former owner of an older Cummins Dodge and now a newer Jetta TDI that were actually selling back to VW tomorrow.

I do a fair number of shoet journies and then 400 miles 1 weekend in 4. I'm averaging 46 miles to the uk gallon.

The new diesel CX-5 is being released later this year-maybe. I like the idea of a diesel, but basing it just on fuel $ savings does not seem to be enough.

In my part of Canada diesel runs 4 - 10 cents a litre cheaper than regular. I expect a 30% economy increase with the diesel. I would not be surprised even with these numbers that with the additional cost of acquisition and the kms I drive in a year, that the diesel still will never pay for itself over the decade I expect to keep the truck. I will likely replace my '13 with one anyway.

Hardly a tree-hugger, I still insist on every vehicle I buy being more efficient than the one it replaces. I waited an additional 3.5 years before the CX-5 buy 'cause I had decided on an AWD CUV and Mazda was the first to the Canadian market with one offering better consumption numbers than the Volvo. If the diesel does arrive, and the new CX-5 proves markedly quieter, and has a drivers seat memory then I 'm in. I'd be happier too, as I had visited my local Mercedes dealer last May to discuss a GLC 300 to be told the diesel would be available later in '16, but it's not here yet. Mazda would be a whole lot easier on the wallet.

Brian

Add in a DPF replacement along the way, that will offset your savings even more. Your real gain will be torque, don't even consider a monetary savings because they're non-existent. New age diesels in the states just aren't money saving anymore with all the emissions crap. This coming from an owner/former owner of an older Cummins Dodge and now a newer Jetta TDI that were actually selling back to VW tomorrow.
Exactly! Also remember Mazda's SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel requiires specified engine oil and high quality diesel fuel. With newly added urea injection system in addition to problematic DPF Regeneration system, CX-5 diesel is simply not worth it with the price premium! I believe Mazda pushes CX-5 diesel out at the wrong place and wrong time; should have been in 2013 may be!

Exactly! Also remember Mazda's SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel requiires specified engine oil and high quality diesel fuel. With newly added urea injection system in addition to problematic DPF Regeneration system, CX-5 diesel is simply not worth it with the price premium! I believe Mazda pushes CX-5 diesel out at the wrong place and wrong time; should have been in 2013 may be!
Mazda could not meet the emission standards back then. Today they can. If they don't make it available today, when should they sell it here in North America?

Maybe we need to define what "worth" is. I think the 310 lb-ft of torque and above 30 combined MPG is worth the price premium.

Until you have to pay for that DPF.... Because the day will come if you plan on keeping it for a while.

Yeah the question should not be how much money do I save but rather do I want a higher torque spec'd engine....and the additional maintenance that comes with it.

Mazda could not meet the emission standards back then. Today they can. If they don't make it available today, when should they sell it here in North America?

Maybe we need to define what "worth" is. I think the 310 lb-ft of torque and above 30 combined MPG is worth the price premium.

Nice way to put it. Not many 310 lb-ft of torque and above 30 combined MPG with good handling exist at this price range.

Until you have to pay for that DPF.... Because the day will come if you plan on keeping it for a while.
Are you saying a DPF is one time use only and will have to be replaced once it is worn out? Can they not be maintained? How much would it cost replace the old DPF?

Are you saying a DPF is one time use only and will have to be replaced once it is worn out? Can they not be maintained? How much would it cost replace the old DPF?
Yes, it's one time only. The vehicle goes through a regen process where it super heats the filter to burn out the contaminants but after a while it can no longer be cleaned, at that point if throws a check engine light and will need to be replaced.

Like a said in an earlier post, the VW DPF was $1400 just for the part, not labor.

Hard to say on the Mazda. For the VW just the part alone was $1400 not including labor.

Hopefully Mazda would take a similar approach as their cabin filter replacement. Cheap and easy to DIY. VW's cabin filters were unnecessarily harder to DIY.

Hopefully Mazda would take a similar approach as their cabin filter replacement. Cheap and easy to DIY. VW's cabin filters were unnecessarily harder to DIY.
It's in the exhaust system, sort of like a catalytic converter with sensors and other things going into it.

No, Mazda could meet US diesel emission standard in 2013 if MazdA was willing to add urea injection. Somehow they didn't want to back then but now they're willing. I believe the reliability issues were also part of reason Mazda didn't make diesel available in US market earlier when diesel market was still stable.

(boom07)

Just wanted to register and chime in here that no offence to anyone I really don't feel represented by the majority of sentiment in this thread today, although I see folks doing math it doesnt indicate where it will break even just throwing their hands up and going 'who's this for again?! Not me...'. That's fine it's not for you but this thread makes it sound like there's no need for these.

In two years of my Jetta TDI's ownership put 178,000KM's down and driving at highway speeds that'll mean some 40mpg's depending how spirited one chooses to be.

I owned 14mpg real world highway suv's and trucks, they're not affordable or environmental to drive.

The main reason I will seriously entertain this diesel is because the driving experience, combined with higher ride height, traditional transmission and fuel economy are all factors one can't ignore.

There's also no CVT in it which pleases me but everyone is different. Give me an FWD CX5 diesel with reasonable highway numbers and a reasonable maintenance schedule and that'll work nicely. Also the Chevy Equinox will have a diesel CUV coming out this summer according to their website, I'm paying close attention to that vehicles comfort, reviews and expect it to be cross researching the two for who gets the most reliable and comfortable ride.

Also if unobtainium is listening I've read all your most recent work in the past 1/mo it's wonderful to have vocal forum members such as yourself. There's a gentlemen who's owned like a dozen Mazda's (in his signature) so I know I'm in the right place here when he spends time on the CX5 forums mostly.

Back