Fuel cut problem

Turbomike

:
Mazdaspeed protege
So I just bought a 03 msp with 131000 miles on it when I get into boost it seems like it's either fuel cutting or having spark issues it cuts the power completely wondering if any one has had these problems before thanks?

Have you replaced the coil packs, wires and spark plugs? NGK ZFR6F plugs are the proper plugs, gapped to .028-.032". If you are in colder weather, at WOT over 9psi or so it can hit fuel cut (actually ignition cut but everyone calls it fuel cut) because the MAF maxes out at 5v. You may also have a bad wastegate causing overboost or a boost controller that is raising the boost to cause fuel cut. I would start with a new ignition setup, at least spark plugs. If the incorrect plugs are installed it can cause the symptoms you describe. Interestingly enough when I bought my first MSP 7 years ago it had that exact problem (incorrectly gapped spark plugs).

Have you replaced the coil packs, wires and spark plugs? NGK ZFR6F plugs are the proper plugs, gapped to .028-.032". If you are in colder weather, at WOT over 9psi or so it can hit fuel cut (actually ignition cut but everyone calls it fuel cut) because the MAF maxes out at 5v. You may also have a bad wastegate causing overboost or a boost controller that is raising the boost to cause fuel cut. I would start with a new ignition setup, at least spark plugs. If the incorrect plugs are installed it can cause the symptoms you describe. Interestingly enough when I bought my first MSP 7 years ago it had that exact problem (incorrectly

Ok I will start with plugs and coils wires etc, thanks for the info!

I also started having this issue. I'm swamped with schoolwork right now, but I plan on seeing what's up this summer. I'd like to know what fix works for you.

I'm going to guess its a bad wastegate. Seems to be a common problem with MSP's lately (mine included).

Well the plugs and coils and wires seem to help a little but it's still having fuel cutting issues, it is over boosting I put the boost gauge out of my rx7 and it shows it's hitting 7 to 8lbs that's obviously the prblm!

7-8psi is normal, that's what they run with the stock wastegate. You should not be hitting fuel cut until you are over 11 psi or so.

i've gone through this problem, and it came back aswell..multiple times.. changed the coilpack tubes and wires like 3 times..changed maf 3 times..spark plugs changed every oil change since im using copper ngk's..gone through 2 wastegates so far. smoked my manifold and found the egr gasket leaking-gonna look into getting a block off plate.

Back