Snow with my 2016 CX-9 issues

Just an FYI. I was at my local Mazda dealer, bs'ing with my parts guy after picking up a few things and he pointed to 3 2017 xfer cases on the shelf he was replacing and already had done 6 or 7 already. They overheated, puked all the oil out the breather and fried...

I've been looking all over the internet regarding this claim that 2nd gen CX-9's have this problem and can't find one complaint. I did see numerous cases regarding the first gen presumably containing Ford parts. If one dealer says he's done 6 or 7 already, that means it would be a widespread design flaw affecting most CX-9's. Yet nothing on the internet. 6 or 7 is a lot considering the low sales volumes of the CX-9.

Yeah, I guess me seeing it in person and talking directly with my parts and service guy isn't as credible as you finding it on the Internet. Go figure!?

Yeah, I guess me seeing it in person and talking directly with my parts and service guy isn't as credible as you finding it on the Internet. Go figure!?

Not saying you're lying, just that I can't find anything on this. We all know the first things that pop up on the internet about products is problems and negative reviews. This would be talked about everywhere just as if the transmission was needing replacement in a large portion of units. A new transfer case supposedly costs thousands though the dealer to replace. No small thing.

Not saying you're lying, just that I can't find anything on this. We all know the first things that pop up on the internet about products is problems and negative reviews. This would be talked about everywhere just as if the transmission was needing replacement in a large portion of units. A new transfer case supposedly costs thousands though the dealer to replace. No small thing.

All I know is that the lead tech at our local dealer says the 16+ CX-9 Transfer Case looks identical (as far as he can tell) to the CX-5 transfer case. If they are using the same drivetrain as the CX-5 with all of that additional weight, I have to imagine it's a problem.

It might be fine for folks living in the south, but as a New Englander I expect my 4WD/AWD system to take a beating during the winter. If it can't handle sustained load for long periods of time, the car won't last.

It makes me feel odd when you try to make your story more creditable on the internet than other internet stories.

Don't take it personally. I am not saying what you said was not what you saw and heard. Your local tech buddy may have just slipped these numbers out of his mouth to maintain an casual conversation. The 3 2017 transfer cases on the shelf apparently covers 2016 model as well since it is hard to imagine Mazda would use a different transfer case 9 months after their 2nd gen cx-9 went on market. It also not a wise decision for a local dealer stock 3 2017 transfer cases when the 2017 model came to the market in Feb 2017 with total of 2,157 cx-9s sold across the continental US. Even taking the 2016 cx-9 into the equation, 6 or 7 have been replaced at one local dealership still doesn't make it proportionally reasonable when you consider 18,638 total new cx-9s have been sold as of the end of Feb 2017 over 616 Mazda dealerships across the US.

Nonetheless to say, the widespread cx-9 diagonal off-road test video and what the cx-9 owner snapbox has experienced have brought some serious concerns about the weakness of the so called all new cx-9 i-Activ AWD system. But when most new cx-9s are still under 10,000 miles, 6 or 7 transfer failures reported at one shop just doesn't sound real to me.

Last edited:
Just an FYI. I was at my local Mazda dealer, bs'ing with my parts guy after picking up a few things and he pointed to 3 2017 xfer cases on the shelf he was replacing and already had done 6 or 7 already. They overheated, puked all the oil out the breather and fried. The CX-5 xfer case is fine for the weight and power it has, but is way under engineered for the weight and torque of the new CX9. The diff in the 1st Gen is actually a better piece than the 2nd Gen, especially if you change the crap Mazda oil with a high quality synthetic. By the way these were all low mile jobs, anywhere from 700 to 3,500 miles. I'll keep my low mile (<17,000) 2012 GT AWD over the 2nd Gen all day long. YMMV! BTW, I test drove a signature when they first came out and the torque steer, wind noise, lack of top end power, less storage, styling, etc made me love mine even more! My wife's 2015 CX5 GT AWD is about to turn 70,000 miles and going strong. I did change the xfer, rear diff to RL very early, drain and replace the tranny with MZ, changed plugs, cabin and engine air filters regularly, etc.

I searched everywhere about 2016-2017 2.5L turbo CX-9's having bad transfer cases, can't find a single post about it, the mechanic must be mistaken and talking about 2015 and previous V6 CX-9's, those have failing transfer cases left and right, all over the internet, including Ford Flex, Edge failures,

not a peep about the new CX-9 or any current 2016-17 CX-9 AWD owners on this forum. If there a was an extremely high failure rate (per mechanic, qty. 10 2016-2017 all bad at the same time, we would be hearing from members all day)

Last edited:
I did a lot of winter mountain driving last winter with no problems. The car was not heavily loaded. Snapbox, can you estimate how much weight your car was carrying when the parts overheated?

I notice on that diagonal test video the following was posted about a week ago:

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-03%20at%2011.00.49%20AM.png

I notice on that diagonal test video the following was posted about a week ago:

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-03%20at%2011.00.49%20AM.png

The explanation video of the CX9 failed diagonal test has been posted. There is a rather detailed written explanation in the comments by a Mazda USA Engineer, Dave Coleman. Basically stating CX9's AWD and traction control system sucks if you ever get into situation similar to the test. For example, in slippery snowy condition going up a slope where you have one wheel spinning in the front and rear axle. I'll probably get to test that out this winter on my steep driveway after a snow storm before I get a chance to shovel the driveway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6nRPD_xyM&feature=push-u&attr_tag=rIoBQp8IJFNr6eCg-6

Back