Engine power In elevation

Orod390

:
Honda
I'm interested in a new CX-5, but I'm concerned with a lack of power. It sounds like I'd have fun on the twisty roads in Colorado though. What are members thoughts on the cx-5 in the mountains in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming?

My thoughts are that unless it has a turbo, any vehicle will be affected pretty equally.
This means that the CX-5 is still a leader in its class, except that the Turbo forester 2.0XT, and new 1.5T CR-V would absolutely demolish it. All other non-turbo econo CUV's though, would be as proportionately behind it as they are at SL.

Anyway, here is a video you may find relevant:
CX5 AWD 2.5L @ 1 mile elevation, 0-60 11.88s.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a new CX-5, but I'm concerned with a lack of power. It sounds like I'd have fun on the twisty roads in Colorado though. What are members thoughts on the cx-5 in the mountains in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming?

Honestly, I've always felt like I've never had any issues driving I70, or 285 or similar roads/highways in the Colorado mountains. I've never felt like I've had issues in the city either.

Lack of power is not a phrase I've really used with my CX-5. I punch it and it goes. Occasionally it might take it a moment to respond to my punching the gas (depending on the incline), but for the most part it responds well, and accelerates well. Could it be more powerful? Sure. But I tend to have a lead foot and CX-5 works just fine for me. I pass people no problem, I go fast, etc.

Anyway, take a test drive and see for yourself. Granted this was 4 years ago, but Mazda of Lakewood let me take it up I70 a bit as part of my test drive.

Last edited:
Used to drive on I25 from CoS to Denver to catch a flight in a 10 year old Corolla - it would hit 90 on certain sections. Never felt less power. You really need to test drive. I can think of certain inclines on CO 115 etc. that are really steep grade and single lane. So it can be slow at times but overall - it should be fine. Now if you go above CoS - which is 6000 ft above? then you may see problems. At 7500 ft. above - If i stayed there a test drive should really answer my question.

Back to the competition - Tucson has 1.6T - its less wide, short and has a DCT - which may not be bad in mountains, but city folks cant drive well with it.
CRV now has a turbo - but it also has CVT - so loss of fun is a factor.
Rav4, Kia etc. will be bad on FE but will do equally or poorly as a CX-5.

Another huge factor against Turbo's is their torque curve. Not very linear and not confidence boosting. Folks driving VW 2.0T in Tiguan have said about nervousness during left turns since there is a turbo lag and if you have oncoming traffic you really need quick throttle response to sandwich in between. Finally long term reliability with Turbo's is suspect.

I can think of certain engine options in the Volvo that compensate the turbo lag - but bargain brands like Honda and Hyundai wont. Good luck.

Yeah, I've driven the I80 stretch in Wyoming to get to SLC from Denver, and back, and I've had no problems with my CX-5 going 90-110ish MPH (don't tell the cops shhhh). I have different tires now that I won't go up to 110 these days, but on the old set, sure.

I'm with UnOb on this. If you spend a lot of time at altitude, consider a turbo.

Well the cx5 has an advatnage over comparable output NAs because of the higher compression.

Latest posts

Back