Rear brakes have started squeaking @ 20k miles

Is it the pad wear scraper, telling you the pads need replacing?

Check the rear brake pads. The CX5 has an electronic brake distribution that puts more bias to the back brakes. They will wear out before the front. Many people are reporting 20-40k on the rear brake pads.

That being said, brakes are always squeaky this time of year. The salt and dirt from the roads, humidity and wet roads during the day, condensation overnight means the rotors have that little layer of rust every morning.

Check the rear brake pads. The CX5 has an electronic brake distribution that puts more bias to the back brakes. They will wear out before the front. Many people are reporting 20-40k on the rear brake pads.

That being said, brakes are always squeaky this time of year. The salt and dirt from the roads, humidity and wet roads during the day, condensation overnight means the rotors have that little layer of rust every morning.

Yeah, I'm aware of the rear-bias in the newer braking systems... but 20k is absurd. 40k I could probably handle, but I expect 60k. I ran it through the automated car wash 2 weeks back. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until a few days ago. Now the squeaking seems to be more frequent.

I have the same issue on my Mazda6 25k miles with electronic e-brake. I get an irritating high pitched squeak when braking. It goes away when I drive in an empty lot at 20mph then quickly slow down (not stop). I do this 3-4x and the squeak goes away. It returns the next day or so :(. The break pads have a lot of beef in them and I stop good. It may be break deposits stuck on rotors although I suspect the deposits are formed after excessive heat. I don't get the squeak sound as much in the winter months. In contrast, the manual e-brake equipped CX-5 at 65k+ miles never had squeaky brakes.

Do you do a lot of city stop and go braking?

I have the same issue on my Mazda6 25k miles with electronic e-brake. I get an irritating high pitched squeak when braking. It goes away when I drive in an empty lot at 20mph then quickly slow down (not stop). I do this 3-4x and the squeak goes away. It returns the next day or so :(. The break pads have a lot of beef in them and I stop good. It may be break deposits stuck on rotors although I suspect the deposits are formed after excessive heat. I don't get the squeak sound as much in the winter months. In contrast, the manual e-brake equipped CX-5 at 65k+ miles never had squeaky brakes.

Do you do a lot of city stop and go braking?

I guess what it depends upon what you'd consider "a lot". I do usually go out for lunch while at work, so that entails a few miles of short slow trips. But I usually start and finish my days with my 17 mile commute.

We're in the middle of a Nor'easter, so it'll be a few days before I'm able to get around to inspecting them visually. But kind of like you've stated, its usually only noticeable right after start-up, and goes away within the first few instances of braking, except for last night, when I could still hear the high pitched squeaking when I was just about home. That's what finally prompted me to post this thread.

Wasn't there a TSB about premature rear brake wear on some 2016's?

I've never had rusty brake disks *squeak*. They made a loud grinding noise.

Well, its seems like the squealing is now intermittent. Some days I notice it, some days I don't. Didn't hear it for a few days, assumed whatever it was had cleared itself up, but then whola, back again.

The only thing I can think of is I have been using the parking brake a bit more recently on days when the temps are appropriate. I'm due for a new inspection sticker next month... so I might just have the Mazda boys look at it when its in. Will mention the problem of under lubed caliper pins noted by other owners as well.

Update- so I dropped it off for an inspection sticker this morning. Asked them to check out the pads. Dealer called and said that all 4 (front and rear) appear to be about half worn at this point... @21,000 miles.

I definitely don't ride the brakes, and rarely ever need to apply them aggressively. Not really sure how to feel at the moment... but they said not to be overly concerned with the minor squealing I've been hearing.

(shrug)

Update- so I dropped it off for an inspection sticker this morning. Asked them to check out the pads. Dealer called and said that all 4 (front and rear) appear to be about half worn at this point... @21,000 miles.

I definitely don't ride the brakes, and rarely ever need to apply them aggressively. Not really sure how to feel at the moment... but they said not to be overly concerned with the minor squealing I've been hearing.

(shrug)
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it right now and simply turn up the music a bit louder and ignore the squeaks if your dealer reported the pad wear correctly. ;) There's not much they can do unless they're willing to replace the pads and rotors. Did your dealer say they checked the caliper pins for lack of lub according to many forum members here who checked them by themselves?

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it right now and simply turn up the music a bit louder and ignore the squeaks if your dealer reported the pad wear correctly. ;) There's not much they can do unless they're willing to replace the pads and rotors. Did your dealer say they checked the caliper pins for lack of lub according to many forum members here who checked them by themselves?

I'll have to check the paperwork later on this afternoon. First off, I've never done any brake work before, and secondly, my driveway is in the process of melting (spring thaw), so its awfully muddy, uneven and certainly unstable for jack purposes for the time being.

Having said that, has anyone put together a DIY thread for lubing the caliper pins in the "How To" section?

I'll have to check the paperwork later on this afternoon. First off, I've never done any brake work before, and secondly, my driveway is in the process of melting (spring thaw), so its awfully muddy, uneven and certainly unstable for jack purposes for the time being.

Having said that, has anyone put together a DIY thread for lubing the caliper pins in the "How To" section?
Haven't seen any "How To" on checking brake caliper pins as it pretty much straight forward for those who did it. You need to loose 2 bolts/nuts to pull the pin out and check. Re-torque the bolt/nut to the spec after you applied rubber grease.

Lube those caliper bolt pins!

Check this thread out and see you have any similarities:

Rear Brake Pad Wear and Electronic Parking Brake Service Bulletin

Here is the TSB provided by Anchorman:

TSB - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Thanks yrwei52. Good stuff. As long as I don't have to mess with brake fluid while checking out the caliper pins, I think I should be all set. Just need to find a good opportunity to change out the winter tires/wheels.

Oh yeah, forgot to add dealer said the "squealing was normal". If that's true, why did it only start around 21,000 miles?

(uhm)

Back