ECU's interchangable?

Izimo

:
Mazda Protege5
Hi guys,

I wanted to do the famous MP3 flashed ECU, but came to the conclusion that the Europese P5 (323F) use the 3 seperate connectors on the ECU instead of the big one connector you guys have.

So I went researching about the JDM ECU's whom also use the 3 seperate ones.

I have a Denso ECU while the FS-ZE's run Mitsubishi Electronics ones.

Can these ones be used as the upgrade because of the same connector or totally won't?

Thanks for reading :)

You'd like to swap your FSDE ECU for a FSZE ECU in hope of an upgrade to engine performance. Is that correct?

TheMAN replied to my pm: "FS-ZE ECU will not connect to your car
It is possible to use it by switching the engine harness to the FP-DE one (Euro version), but some wiring changes needs to be made."

TheMAN replied to my pm: "FS-ZE ECU will not connect to your car
It is possible to use it by switching the engine harness to the FP-DE one (Euro version), but some wiring changes needs to be made."

His 323F is the Euro version of the P5.

I have actually plugged in the fs-ze ecu from a manual all wheel drive sport20 to my car (1.8L fp-de with 3 ecu plugs)
the motor cranked but no go, but it plugs in, as The Man said some work is required.

Last edited:
This is interesting. So the US/Canada ECU is different to the Japan, Euro and Australia ECU. And the Japan FSZE ECU plugs straight into the Jap, Euro, Aus ECU harness. Wonder why then the Jap FSZE ECU won't work with the Euro (323F) and AUS (SP20) Protgs?? Something to do with the immobiliser perhaps?

I have read where guys in Australia have swapped FSDE to a FSZE, but kept the FSDE ECU. Not 100% sure why they did that.

I did further research after the reply, and came to the conclusion that the Euro FS-DE connectors are slightly different as you can see in the pic below, that's my ECU.

DSC_0305.jpg
[/URL]

I did further research after the reply, and came to the conclusion that the Euro FS-DE connectors are slightly different as you can see in the pic below, that's my ECU.

DSC_0305.jpg
[/URL]

Different to what?

Your photo shows exactly the same ECU (Denso FS7E) I have in my BJ2 SP20 5spd. And as JDM323J48 confirmed the Japan FSZE ECU does plug straight into the Australia (and likely the Euro too) BJ2 ECU harness. So if the FSZE ECU plugs straight in, then what's stopping it from working?

Different to what?

Your photo shows exactly the same ECU (Denso FS7E) I have in my BJ2 SP20 5spd. And as JDM323J48 confirmed the Japan FSZE ECU does plug straight into the Australia (and likely the Euro too) BJ2 ECU harness. So if the FSZE ECU plugs straight in, then what's stopping it from working?

The Sp20 ecu is obd2 and different style to the fp-de 1.8L ecu which is obd1 with plastic housing.

Exactly that. The FS-ZE ECU I've seen had the black housing and nr FS7B 18 881A and is Mitsubishi Electronics and not Denso.

Different to what?
And as JDM323J48 confirmed the Japan FSZE ECU does plug straight into the Australia (and likely the Euro too) BJ2 ECU harness. So if the FSZE ECU plugs straight in, then what's stopping it from working?

He has the 1.8 FP-DE and that uses the same connectors as the FS-ZE ECU I'm talking about :)

Been digging around and found some info. Posted by TheMAN on another forum.

TheMan said:
ok.... firstly, please DO NOT confuse the SP20 with the "Sport20"... they are completely different cars. "SP20" is not a shortform for "Sport20". They are exclusive to each other. SP20 is Aussie only and those cars have the same FS-DE as you blokes do in the UK. The Sport20 is the one with the FS-ZE and have many subtle trim/equipment differences. Please use the correct terms to avoid confusion because some people will think you're referring to the Aussie SP20. If anything, you can consider your cars "SP20s" as they are essentially the same as the Aussie ones, save for brakes and interior differences. Furthermore, the Sport20 was available both in PFL and FL. The SP20 was FL only.

As for the swap... here is what I know:
You can easily swap the engine into the car and use the FS-ZE ECU as long as you swapped the engine wire loom with the one off the 1.8. The wiring scheme is nearly the same and just takes a few modifications to make it work. It's a near match!

All FWD Sport20s are automatic
4WD Sport20s were available in manual and automatic... the 4WD system robs a lot of power, and the car probably isn't much quicker than your UK 2.0 Sport.

You can use the 4WD Sport20 manual ECU with a FWD gearbox. That is how Mazda did it with their limited run MazdaSpeed Familia back in 2001. It had a specially modified FS-ZE that pumped out 5 more horses, had a FWD manual transmission that's exactly the same as the UK 2.0 Sport, and used the 4WD Sport20 manual ECU. One bloke in Australia got lucky and found a Mazdaspeed FS-ZE and swapped it into his FL 1.8 not long ago. Dyno results with the FS-ZE ECU was pretty impressive. He recently buggered up his 1.8 gearbox (he reused it because he ran out of money) so he is in the process of swapping in the much better 2.0l gearbox, but he's running over budget as he never realised how many parts he has to change to make it all work!

Best to get the 4WD engines with the manual ECU. The FWD Sport20 engine has a different crankshaft girdle/"upper oil pan block" (as mazda calls it) because it's designed to be used with the automatic gearbox. It has one less mounting hole for the starter. That is the only difference but really doesn't matter though.

Some FS-ZEs come from the JDM 626... called the Capella, some others comes from the JDM Premacy. The difference between the Capella and Sport20/Premacy FS-ZEs are easy to spot. Instead of the plastic "black box" over the top of the Sport20's/Premacy's inlet manifold, it is a cast aluminium piece on the Capella FS-ZE. What's the true difference? I don't know. Engine internals all the same and it's fine either way. Capella ECU is different though, as is the Premacy ECU. Like the Sport20, the Premacy FWD FS-ZE is limited to automatic, the 4WD Premacy was automatic only too.

Only the Sport20s built after August 2002 have OBD2 diagnosis, but still more limited than the UK/Europe or US ones. The older Sport20s don't have OBD2, but the datastream signal lines are there in the ECU for you to tap into to get limited OBD2 codes (only a dozen) and engine data monitoring. ECU wiring is similar between the older and newer Sport20s in any case, therefore, you cannot plug a newer FS-ZE into your UK loom. Just won't work.

TheMAN said:
I forgot to mention that your UK cams are the same as the FS-ZE's
and if you swapped the UK FP-DE (1.8l) pistons into the UK FS-DE, you get the same 10.4:1 compression ratio as the FS-ZE.... the UK FP-DE pistons are the same thing as the FS-ZE

what's missing from there is the much better inlet manifold.... the "black box" is a helmholtz resonator, it's primary function is to improve low rpm air velocity and high rpm air velocity to MUCH improve engine performance.... its effects are multiplied with forced induction (I'm using the FS-ZE inlet manifold with a factory turbo.... max power is at 6700rpm! )

TheMAN said:
our US FS-DE has 9.1 compression and crappy cams
your Euro version has 9.7 compression and the same cams as the FS-ZE

the only difference for you from the FS-ZE are the pistons and inlet manifold... FS-ZE has either 10.4 or 10.7 compression.... most of the extra power comes from the pistons, inlet manifold, and more aggressive ECU tune designed to run on 98 RON petrol

So if I read that correctly, Izimo's BJ2 323F manual (UK/Euro), and my BJ2 SP20 manual (AUS) have the same driveline and ECU. So if I was to locate a post August 2002 4WD Sport20 manual (JAP) ECU, it would plug into my BJ2 SP20 with no mods and still OBD2. Issues I see here are 1) finding the exact ECU, 2) will it give a performance upgrade? Key question being whether there's a performance advantage over the stock ECU.

Ahh.. where's TheMAN when you need him? (attn)

Been digging around and found some info. Posted by TheMAN on another forum.

So if I read that correctly, Izimo's BJ2 323F manual (UK/Euro), and my BJ2 SP20 manual (AUS) have the same driveline and ECU. So if I was to locate a post August 2002 4WD Sport20 manual (JAP) ECU, it would plug into my BJ2 SP20 with no mods and still OBD2. Issues I see here are 1) finding the exact ECU, 2) will it give a performance upgrade? Key question being whether there's a performance advantage over the stock ECU.

Ahh.. where's TheMAN when you need him? (attn)

sport20 awd fs-ze ecu will not plug into an Australian sp20 at all.

Back