Nice write up on Ars Technica

It just dawned on me that Mazda will axe short term goals of offering a racer boy "Speed" version for the Mazda3/6/CX-5 chassis. In its place would be the "Signature" versions with the higher output engines. This falls in line with everything Mazda has been hinting lately. So by 2020-2021 I forsee Skyactiv2 2.5, Skyactiv2 2.0 (international models), and Skyactiv2 2.5T for Signature versions.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Mazda wants to move up market and away from the zoom-zoom image of it past.

Yet, they ditched the manual...

No manual for the U.S. spec only. Moving upmarket plays a part in that. I wonder if the the X1, Lexus (NX is it?), and Audi small SUVs come with manual in the U.S?

That is what I've read as well. I think one review pointed it out. They can't make a move to upmarket, without a more powerful engine. Otherwise, they will always be looked on as a mainstream manufacturer with good looking cars. I think, I hope, they use the 2.5T engine for this move to upmarket. Maybe they will sell a Signature trim CX-5/Mazda6 in the future with the 2.5T engine.

This post has aged very well.

Latest posts

Back