Nice write up on Ars Technica

That could be true, but the availability of the 2.5T engine will get customers into dealerships. It will also stop the reviewers from complaining of not having a more powerful engine, which every reviewer seems to do. (I don't blame them, the CX-5 is slow above 70 MPH). That in turn will also help get customers into dealerships, I think. They might leave the dealership in a CX-5 with a 2.5 NA engine, but it was the 2.5T engine that got them there. Almost like a halo car effect.

If Mazda won't put the 2.5T engine into the CX-5 and the diesel engine won't alleviate the highway passing power issue that I have, I will most likely save my money and upgrade to a BMW X3 when the time comes.

I have a different view - with Toyota having a large stake in Mazda, hybrids is the next step for them. But unlike the CVTs in Civic / Prius etc. - it could be a hybrid mated with the amazing transmission mazda already has. Sell it more on the power front than fuel efficiency - the FE is added bonus. If Mazda is able to push hp / torque by 10% on the CX-5 - and FE by 20% - that would be a good natural way forward.

If Mazda won't put the 2.5T engine into the CX-5 and the diesel engine won't alleviate the highway passing power issue that I have, I will most likely save my money and upgrade to a BMW X3 when the time comes.

I can't see how that would be the case. That's one of diesel's strengths.

I can't see how that would be the case. That's one of diesel's strengths.
The diesel still only makes up to 175 hp and redlines at 5k RPM. From the dyno graphs I've seen of the current 2.2 SkyActivD engine, torque peaks at around 2k RPM and it's all downhill from there. That will limit its strong acceleration at higher speeds. Which means the highway passing power difference between the diesel engine and the 2.5 NA engine with sport mode on, might not be as significant. Of course, I am only speculating here. I will be test driving the diesel version when it comes out later this year to verify this.

I have a different view - with Toyota having a large stake in Mazda, hybrids is the next step for them. But unlike the CVTs in Civic / Prius etc. - it could be a hybrid mated with the amazing transmission mazda already has. Sell it more on the power front than fuel efficiency - the FE is added bonus. If Mazda is able to push hp / torque by 10% on the CX-5 - and FE by 20% - that would be a good natural way forward.
Mazda already has a hybrid Mazda3 running around in Japan. I wonder when they'll bring that over here.

The diesel still only makes up to 175 hp and redlines at 5k RPM. From the dyno graphs I've seen of the current 2.2 SkyActivD engine, torque peaks at around 2k RPM and it's all downhill from there. That will limit its strong acceleration at higher speeds. Which means the highway passing power difference between the diesel engine and the 2.5 NA engine with sport mode on, might not be as significant. Of course, I am only speculating here. I will be test driving the diesel version when it comes out later this year to verify this.

But it has around 300lb ft of torque, which is far more important for passing at speed and with less gearing down/high rpm. I think you'll change your mind after that test drive ;)

https://www.autogo.ca/en/articles/41725/mazda-cx-5-diesel-we-drove-mazda's-future-engine/
That generous amount of torque means two things. We get pushed against the seatbacks during launches, and it provides lots of passing power if we feel the need to double a slower-moving vehicle ahead of us.

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...the-mazda-cx-5-diesel-the-cx-5-of-the-future/
You barely have to touch the CX-5’s accelerator and you’re propelled forward with conviction. On the highway, the torque lets you pass other vehicles safely and confidently.

Being a turbo, it will also be prone to less power loss at altitude than the NA gas motor.

Last edited:
But it has around 300lb ft of torque, which is far more important for passing at speed and with less gearing down/high rpm. I think you'll change your mind after that test drive ;)
I'm with you on that man, I really want to believe it has enough passing power for my driving style. It's just that my experience has taught me that high torque is great for city driving, but high horsepower is what you want when you want to quickly pass a big rig at 70 MPH. Texas highways are long and straight and have 70 MPH speed limits. I have found that the higher the horsepower rating of a car, the higher the speed at which the car's torque is available. This is why the 2.5 NA engine can be slow at highway speeds, because it only has 184 hp. But as you said, only a test drive can answer that and I'm hoping that test drive will change my mind.

I'm with you on that man, I really want to believe it has enough passing power for my driving style. It's just that my experience has taught me that high torque is great for city driving, but high horsepower is what you want when you want to quickly pass a big rig at 70 MPH. Texas highways are long and straight and have 70 MPH speed limits. I have found that the higher the horsepower rating of a car, the higher the speed at which the car's torque is available. This is why the 2.5 NA engine can be slow at highway speeds, because it only has 184 hp. But as you said, only a test drive can answer that and I'm hoping that test drive will change my mind.

I guess I've never had issues passing people on the highway? What speeds are we talking about here? I feel my CX-5 has plenty of punch for passing.

And I tend to be a lead-foot.

Edit: But don't get me wrong, would always love more power. :)

I guess I've never had issues passing people on the highway? What speeds are we talking about here? I feel my CX-5 has plenty of punch for passing.

And I tend to be a lead-foot.

Edit: But don't get me wrong, would always love more power. :)
Less than 70 MPH I think the CX-5 acceleration is adequate. Above 70 MPH and I find it lacking. Of course my perspective is biased considering I daily drive a Mazdaspeed3. While I don't have times for highway speed passing, my 45-65 MPH time on my Speed3 is around 2.3 seconds (stock Speed3s tested by Motor Trend do around 2.6-2.7 seconds). The 2016 CX-5 based on Motor Trend data, does 45-65 MPH at around 4.3 seconds.

To make it clear, I'm not looking for a CX-5 with 263 horsepower, I'm just looking for more horsepower for highway passing. I think 210-220 would be a big improvement. And we all know the 2.5T engine can provide that even with just 87 octane gas.

Horsepower corrupts. If you don't feel your CX-5 is slow when passing at highway speeds, don't mind me and just carry on :)

Less than 70 MPH I think the CX-5 acceleration is adequate. Above 70 MPH and I find it lacking. Of course my perspective is biased considering I daily drive a Mazdaspeed3. While I don't have times for highway speed passing, my 45-65 MPH time on my Speed3 is around 2.3 seconds (stock Speed3s tested by Motor Trend do around 2.6-2.7 seconds). The 2016 CX-5 based on Motor Trend data, does 45-65 MPH at around 4.3 seconds.

To make it clear, I'm not looking for a CX-5 with 263 horsepower, I'm just looking for more horsepower for highway passing. I think 210-220 would be a big improvement. And we all know the 2.5T engine can provide that even with just 87 octane gas.

Horsepower corrupts. If you don't feel your CX-5 is slow when passing at highway speeds, don't mind me and just carry on :)

I gotcha. :)

Yeah, I agree, if they had a version with 210-220, I would have to think really hard about trading in and getting that CX-5.

As it is now, it's payed off after 2 more payments, so I don't want a car payment for a long while.

I gotcha. :)

Yeah, I agree, if they had a version with 210-220, I would have to think really hard about trading in and getting that CX-5.

As it is now, it's payed off after 2 more payments, so I don't want a car payment for a long while.
It's all about perspective and what you're comfortable with. Not having car payments arguably is better than having 220 hp and car payments hehe.

skyactiv-diesel-torque-curve.png

Looks like a relatively high and flat torque curve from just under 2000 to just under 3500. There should be a good amount of torque available at highway speeds in 5th or 6th...

By then, maybe the 2.5T engine would already be offered with the CX-5. The new model is really tempting, but I'm gonna try to hold on to our current 16 until hopefully the 2.5T becomes available. TFL asked Mazda why they don't put the 2.5T engine in the CX-5. Mazda's only reply is "it fits".

I think the 2.5T could eventually come to this car. I think if they stuck he 2.5T in the old CX-5, it would lead to an unrefined experience. I hate to make the comparison but similar to the Mazda 3 speed. That is not what Mazda is going after now. They want a refined experience. This car maybe the one to do it in.

skyactiv-diesel-torque-curve.png

Looks like a relatively high and flat torque curve from just under 2000 to just under 3500. There should be a good amount of torque available at highway speeds in 5th or 6th...
That's a better looking dyno graph than what I've seen. Where did you find that?

I don't know what gearing the diesel CX-5 will have when it gets here, but I still think 175 hp might limit its highway passing power. I am sure it will be a monster in city driving. It will also do well on relaxed highway cruising. When you go WOT on the highway though at like 70 MPH, the transmission will downshift to what? 4th gear? When it does, will the RPMs be at the 2k-3k RPM range (where peak torque is), or will it be higher at around 4k RPM (where torque is fading)? That will probably determine how fast it can accelerate. Like I said before though, I would very much like to be proven wrong by a test drive.

I think the 2.5T could eventually come to this car. I think if they stuck he 2.5T in the old CX-5, it would lead to an unrefined experience. I hate to make the comparison but similar to the Mazda 3 speed. That is not what Mazda is going after now. They want a refined experience. This car maybe the one to do it in.
As long as the car has AWD, the 2.5T would be fine with it I think. The problem with the Mazdaspeed3 is it has too much torque for a FWD vehicle that doesn't have torque steer negating features. I actually think the mechanical limited slip differential on the Speed3 is amplifying the torque steer. However all you need is drive time to learn how the car behaves then it's no longer an issue. But anyway, if the car has AWD then it shouldn't be a problem.

That's a better looking dyno graph than what I've seen. Where did you find that?

I don't know what gearing the diesel CX-5 will have when it gets here, but I still think 175 hp might limit its highway passing power. I am sure it will be a monster in city driving. It will also do well on relaxed highway cruising. When you go WOT on the highway though at like 70 MPH, the transmission will downshift to what? 4th gear? When it does, will the RPMs be at the 2k-3k RPM range (where peak torque is), or will it be higher at around 4k RPM (where torque is fading)? That will probably determine how fast it can accelerate. Like I said before though, I would very much like to be proven wrong by a test drive.

As long as the car has AWD, the 2.5T would be fine with it I think. The problem with the Mazdaspeed3 is it has too much torque for a FWD vehicle that doesn't have torque steer negating features. I actually think the mechanical limited slip differential on the Speed3 is amplifying the torque steer. However all you need is drive time to learn how the car behaves then it's no longer an issue. But anyway, if the car has AWD then it shouldn't be a problem.

That is true. But I think Mazda wants to be Audi and if they put the 2.5T in the CX-5, they want people to compare it to a Audi Q5.

That is true. But I think Mazda wants to be Audi and if they put the 2.5T in the CX-5, they want people to compare it to a Audi Q5.
That is what I've read as well. I think one review pointed it out. They can't make a move to upmarket, without a more powerful engine. Otherwise, they will always be looked on as a mainstream manufacturer with good looking cars. I think, I hope, they use the 2.5T engine for this move to upmarket. Maybe they will sell a Signature trim CX-5/Mazda6 in the future with the 2.5T engine.

That is what I've read as well. I think one review pointed it out. They can't make a move to upmarket, without a more powerful engine. Otherwise, they will always be looked on as a mainstream manufacturer with good looking cars. I think, I hope, they use the 2.5T engine for this move to upmarket. Maybe they will sell a Signature trim CX-5/Mazda6 in the future with the 2.5T engine.

It just dawned on me that Mazda will axe short term goals of offering a racer boy "Speed" version for the Mazda3/6/CX-5 chassis. In its place would be the "Signature" versions with the higher output engines. This falls in line with everything Mazda has been hinting lately. So by 2020-2021 I forsee Skyactiv2 2.5, Skyactiv2 2.0 (international models), and Skyactiv2 2.5T for Signature versions.

It just dawned on me that Mazda will axe short term goals of offering a racer boy "Speed" version for the Mazda3/6/CX-5 chassis. In its place would be the "Signature" versions with the higher output engines. This falls in line with everything Mazda has been hinting lately. So by 2020-2021 I forsee Skyactiv2 2.5, Skyactiv2 2.0 (international models), and Skyactiv2 2.5T for Signature versions.

Exactly my thoughts. 2.2D in Signature with more sound deadening and few exclusive lux features priced at around 38-40K. Followed by 2.5T again priced at around 40K. This will still beat starting price of Lexus et. all - Only Acura can compete on price for that segment and we all know Acura is weird and going down.

This is also what I think they will do. They could use the "Signature" trim as sort of a replacement for the "Mazdaspeed" models. The North American CEO was quoted as saying, all Mazda cars are fun to drive and so he didn't see the need for a specific "Mazdaspeed" model. They even dropped the "Mazdaspeed" branding from their race cars (check out the Mazda RT24 racecar), instead they now use "Mazda Motorsports".

Back