Nice write up on Ars Technica

Very nice write up! I look forward to driving one of these improved puppies, maybe in 2018 or so after they've worked out the new bugs, lol.

Some useful info here in terms of reducing sound..aside from sound deadening. Seems like Mazda has been reading these forums.

"Dave Coleman is Mazda's manager for vehicle dynamics and engineering. He gave us a fascinating (if you're a car nerd like me) overview of the tons and tons of detail work that went into the new CX-5. Take NVH levels: Coleman's team managed a 10-percent decrease in high-frequency noise and a 1dB reduction in low-frequency noise (as measured from the driver's seat). But how, specifically, did Coleman and his team do that?

To start with, they moved the windshield wipers to below the hood line and, therefore, out of the airflow when driving. To better maintain sealing pressure at speed, an extra seal was added to the two existing seals between the front and rear doors. Plenty of new seals were added to the windows, the rear hatch, and so on. The front windows now use acoustic glass, which sandwiches sound-dampening vinyl in between the inner and outer glass. The windshield is slightly thicker. The A pillar was re-profiled to reduce turbulence. Panel gaps were made tighter, and a felt-lined plastic undercover underneath the vehicle now absorbs road noise."

"In back-to-back drives with rival cars, the CX-5 fared well. The X1 had the best engine and infotainment system, as well as being the most engaging to drive. But even using those criteria, the CX-5 bested the Mercedes and Lexus. Not bad for a car that's almost $15,000 cheaper than that Lexus. Whether or not that's enough to attract customers away from those brands is unclear, but it's worth considering that Audi managed the same trick not too long ago."

So Arstechnica is not comparing it with CR-V anymore? Wont anyone think of redturboeclipse? I think he will have a yellowbowelmoment if he reads this s***.

"In back-to-back drives with rival cars, the CX-5 fared well. The X1 had the best engine and infotainment system, as well as being the most engaging to drive. But even using those criteria, the CX-5 bested the Mercedes and Lexus. Not bad for a car that's almost $15,000 cheaper than that Lexus. Whether or not that's enough to attract customers away from those brands is unclear, but it's worth considering that Audi managed the same trick not too long ago."

So Arstechnica is not comparing it with CR-V anymore? Wont anyone think of redturboeclipse? I think he will have a yellowbowelmoment if he reads this s***.

Mazda provided premium brand cars for the press comparison. Thus the lack of CR-V comparison. I've read a lot that they are trying to bridge the gap into luxury. i.e. the VW model.

Mazda provided premium brand cars for the press comparison. Thus the lack of CR-V comparison. I've read a lot that they are trying to bridge the gap into luxury. i.e. the VW model.

The very end of that article reminds readers that Audi did something similar not too long ago. Can't get them on breadth, then get them on depth.

Auto Bild in Germany did a comparison and found previous CX-5 Mazda to be the most reliable car build in last 15 years. 15 FIFTEEEN!
The year they tested CX5 they tested a Q3, after 100000 KM they took the cars apart - the Audi parts were worn out but the Mazda looked as if they had done half the miles. Wow everytime you learn something new about Mazda it reassures you. So proud of my decision.
They have tested the following to be flawless vehicles : 3 Mazdas, 1 Toyota and 3 BMWs, the CX-5 was 5 points away from being 4th flawless Mazda entry.

Upon reading the whole article, I'm now convinced this is not a "carryover refreshed" CX-5. The 2017 model is more of a new vehicle imho. I mean there's different:

Exterior dimensions, piston edges, different piston rings, ECU throttle response parameters, different steering rack placement, different specs for suspension strut, gear shifter moved up 2.3 inches, pillar profile moved to improve visibility, heated reclinable rear seats, 2 USB ports for rear passengers, optional powered rear hatch, and (HUD) color heads up display to name a few. The sound deadening changes are much more drastic this time around. Interested in test drives by people on this forum.

Upon reading the whole article, I'm now convinced this is not a "carryover refreshed" CX-5. The 2017 model is more of a new vehicle imho. I mean there's different:

Exterior dimensions, piston edges, different piston rings, ECU throttle response parameters, different steering rack placement, different specs for suspension strut, gear shifter moved up 2.3 inches, pillar profile moved to improve visibility, heated reclinable rear seats, 2 USB ports for rear passengers, optional powered rear hatch, and (HUD) color heads up display to name a few. The sound deadening changes are much more drastic this time around. Interested in test drives by people on this forum.

HUD height adjusts based on car seats height - hoot! One to get used in next 3 - 4 years if highway mpg is stellar, my wife's Camry will be out of commission then (90K miles) - love to pick this up in white for under 20K or certified.

I tend to agree with this. I just drove the 2016.5 a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed with many of the areas they addressed. I will be test driving the 2017 asap.

I tend to agree with this. I just drove the 2016.5 a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed with many of the areas they addressed. I will be test driving the 2017 asap.

Cant wrap my head around this - how can they make a stellar vehicle 16.5 much more amazing at same price point. Wow - my camry cant be 90k older faster. I will drive it for every errand now - even sneak out at night and do laps if I 20 from dallas to west texas lol.

Cant wrap my head around this - how can they make a stellar vehicle 16.5 much more amazing at same price point. Wow - my camry cant be 90k older faster. I will drive it for every errand now - even sneak out at night and do laps if I 20 from dallas to west texas lol.

For me its the little things - Adding a HUD, improved NVH (I thought the 2016.5 was like you were in a wind tunnel, esp in the rear), rear seat decline, improved throttle response, 8 way driver seat - fingers crossed the new seats have thigh support like the mazda6, as this was really lacking in the new cx-9.

For me its the little things - Adding a HUD, improved NVH (I thought the 2016.5 was like you were in a wind tunnel, esp in the rear), rear seat decline, improved throttle response, 8 way driver seat - fingers crossed the new seats have thigh support like the mazda6, as this was really lacking in the new cx-9.

Stop you will force me to upgrade.

Stop you will force me to upgrade.

Patience lol. For us were keeping our 2013 model for another 3 years or so. By then Mazda's Skyactiv suite of technologies would've been matured for 10 years. Looking forward to the 2021 models :)

Patience lol. For us were keeping our 2013 model for another 3 years or so. By then Mazda's Skyactiv suite of technologies would've been matured for 10 years. Looking forward to the 2021 models :)

Same here. 2 more payments and my 2014 is payed off.

I will wait :)

By then, maybe the 2.5T engine would already be offered with the CX-5. The new model is really tempting, but I'm gonna try to hold on to our current 16 until hopefully the 2.5T becomes available. TFL asked Mazda why they don't put the 2.5T engine in the CX-5. Mazda's only reply is "it fits".

2.5T may or maynot come. It will hurt Mazda's fleet economy and can cause regulatory impact. Besides if you think of it - 2.5T wont help sales by much - 5-10 % max.

WASHINGTON (November 2, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) noted in its most recent Light Duty Fuel Economy Trends report that Mazda Motor Corporation is the most fuel-efficient auto manufacturer in the U.S. With the highest fleet-wide adjusted fuel economy performance of 29.6 miles per gallon (MPG), Mazda led the chart for model year (MY) 2015.*

For the fourth consecutive year, Mazda has achieved the highest fuel-efficiency of any mainstream automotive manufacturer in the industry, without offering a hybrid or electric vehicle. Mazda’s unique SKYACTIV Technology has made this level of efficiency possible. SKYACTIV is a suite of component and engineering technologies intended to cut vehicle weight, improve engine efficiency and bolster vehicle dynamics for outstanding environmental and safety performance without sacrificing the brand’s renowned driving pleasure.

“Mazda’s team of engineers and designers have worked diligently to create vehicles that are high-quality, stylish, fun-to-drive and fuel-efficient,“ said Masahiro Moro, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations. “Using our unique SKYACTIV Technology, Mazda has been able to achieve class-leading fuel efficiency in nearly every segment it competes in while remaining true to its core mission that Driving Matters.“

Mazda’s SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY can be found throughout its vehicle lineup, including MX-5 Miata sportscar, compact Mazda3, midsize Mazda6 family sedan, subcompact CX-3 crossover SUV, compact CX-5 and midsize, three-row CX-9.

Among the numerous accolades earned through its breakthrough cars and crossovers, Mazda was also named by U.S. News and World Report as the 2016 Best Car Brand.

2.5T may or maynot come. It will hurt Mazda's fleet economy and can cause regulatory impact. Besides if you think of it - 2.5T wont help sales by much - 5-10 % max.

There's always Skyactiv 2.0 as the engine found in the 2017 appears to be Skyactiv 1.2.

That could be true, but the availability of the 2.5T engine will get customers into dealerships. It will also stop the reviewers from complaining of not having a more powerful engine, which every reviewer seems to do. (I don't blame them, the CX-5 is slow above 70 MPH). That in turn will also help get customers into dealerships, I think. They might leave the dealership in a CX-5 with a 2.5 NA engine, but it was the 2.5T engine that got them there. Almost like a halo car effect.

If Mazda won't put the 2.5T engine into the CX-5 and the diesel engine won't alleviate the highway passing power issue that I have, I will most likely save my money and upgrade to a BMW X3 when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back