Sure hope they fixed this on the 2017...

:
23 CX-5 Premium
So after suffering through heavy winter rains here in Northern California which, most of the time, rendered my back up cam totally useless because of water on the lens, my CX-5 was rear-ended two weeks ago and I'm currently driving a Chevy Malibu loaner while it's being repaired. Two deficiencies in the Mazda are readily apparent in this comparison. First, what everyone already knows, is the infotainment system in the 2013 is just pathetic compared to this current-model Chevy. The one in the loaner is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. But the real shocker is when it rains and I get in the car expecting the camera rear-view to be totally obscured like in the Mazda, and it's not. It's always clear as a bell! Upon closer examination, GM had the common sense to tuck the camera lens further back into the deck lid at the top of the license plate mount so that it is protected from rain. Now why in the hell didn't Mazda think of that 4 short years ago?!(scratch)

Yeah, GM pays attention to the little things and ignores the big things, like things that can actually endanger your life.

I heR a few folks complain about this. It is cool that GM did it right. But...We really shouldn't be THAT reliant on them that we get ticked over it, or call it a glaring deficiency.
/Edit not saying your one of those people. I get you're only saying you hope it's improved.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know exactly why it is where it is. Look in the corners of the screen - the lens is wide enough you can see the lid. Moving it further back would obscure the view.

The answer here is more about water management. The shape of the lid can be used to direct water away from the lens. My guess is the malibu simply gets lucky that its shape does that, rather than engineering it deliberately.

I know exactly why it is where it is. Look in the corners of the screen - the lens is wide enough you can see the lid. Moving it further back would obscure the view.

The answer here is more about water management. The shape of the lid can be used to direct water away from the lens. My guess is the malibu simply gets lucky that its shape does that, rather than engineering it deliberately.

So my photographic evidence trumps your "guess" in this case. The top of the (slanted) Malibu lens is 3/4" back from the lip of the deck lid. When you approach the car, you can't see it at all. Compare that to the CX-5. Mine is in the shop, so I can't measure it, but it's right there in plain view collecting rain drops when you walk by the back of the car. And flicking the water off doesn't do a whole hell of a lot of good. Granted, the aerodynamics of the blunt rear end of an SUV may make it even worse, but they coulda' done a better job nonetheless.

Attachments

• bu cam.JPG
    bu cam.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 172
So my photographic evidence trumps your "guess" in this case. The top of the (slanted) Malibu lens is 3/4" back from the lip of the deck lid. When you approach the car, you can't see it at all. Compare that to the CX-5. Mine is in the shop, so I can't measure it, but it's right there in plain view collecting rain drops when you walk by the back of the car. And flicking the water off doesn't do a whole hell of a lot of good. Granted, the aerodynamics of the blunt rear end of an SUV may make it even worse, but they coulda' done a better job nonetheless.

The CX-5 camera is also under the lid, and looks about the same distance from the edge. What's different here, and you can see it in your photo, is the malibu has a slight curved lip in the plastic above it.

Try pouring some water, see if it drips off or straight down. I just poured some on my car and the water hugs the lid and actually runs down around the edge some - enough to touch the lens, if its a good pourdown. It's the same effect when you tilt water from a glass and it runs down the side instead of just pouring out. But if you add a slight lip to the edge, it breaks the surface tension that causes the water to run around the edge.

The CX-5 camera is also under the lid, and looks about the same distance from the edge. What's different here, and you can see it in your photo, is the malibu has a slight curved lip in the plastic above it.

Try pouring some water, see if it drips off or straight down. I just poured some on my car and the water hugs the lid and actually runs down around the edge some - enough to touch the lens, if its a good pourdown. It's the same effect when you tilt water from a glass and it runs down the side instead of just pouring out. But if you add a slight lip to the edge, it breaks the surface tension that causes the water to run around the edge.

Do you agree that the CX-5 design could be improved?

Do what I did as soon as I got the car home, and put some Rain-X on that camera lens.

Workarounds may exist, but I agree with the people saying the design should be improved to fix this.

Not just rain, but night vision is terrible even after adjusting the settings.

Min trying hard to stay out as a more recent owner but I really wonder if some folks are just really picky. I've had mine not even 90 days. But I think the camera is great. I've only been unable to use it once because if snow. Rain isn't an issue and I can see fine at night.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My last xtrail wasn't as prone to rain or dirt, with both cx-5's I've had, you have to routinly clean the lens.

My 2013 car also had a better night picture than the 2015 car, but the 2015 car has a better day picture.

I would try hitting the lens up with some good paint wax or maybe RainX cleaner. It'll make the rain drops bead off better or minimize streaking and fogging. Some cars have features to help keep it clean. Most cars require you to clean it yourself.

Latest posts

Back