Issues with back up camera

NSP10

:
CX 5
Driving a 2016 CX-5 and have nothing but great things to say.

Tonight, the back up camera was working as usual. I had parked at my house and five minutes later, I went to leave. Camera stopped working completely.

When going into reverse, the screen will not move from the entertainment screen, showing whatever music is playing.

Anyone experience this before? Just want to see if there's a resolution before contacting the dealership.

Thanks.

Not had that happen, sorry about the trouble.. maybe someone here will have a better reply than I..

I would try three things..
1.) wait until morning, maybe it was just a glitch.
2.) disconnect the battery for a while.
3.) go to the dealer, since it's a 2016 it under warranty

I had the exact same thing happen with my 2016.5 CX5 GT. The dealer said it needed a software update and did so. Unfortunately something went wrong and the computer was smoked. I went a week without the radio, nav and BU camera working. A week later the new computer module was installed with the update. The new update is way better. Now the nav live traffic works along with everything else. Get the update.

I think I saw someone with this issue a few days ago.
there's a reset procedure that could resolve it.

Let me go see if I can find the post...

It worked for me. I never had live traffic before the new computer was installed and new software update.
Update- Sorry for posting what turned out to be false information. The traffic is NOT live but some sort of historic data.

Last edited:
The version that is in the in dash head unit is 59.00.441NA N I do not know if this pertains to the software that is in the new computer module that was replaced.

Same issue happened to me this morning - wondering if OP ever got this resolved? Thanks

Same thing happened to me this morning. Put my CX5 (2016 GT) in reverse and the screen stayed on the music display. Called my buddy who is a tech trainer for Mazda NA and sent him a video. He said to try the "mute+nav+back" button reset. If that doesn't work then disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. About 20 minutes later I go back to my car, restart the engine, put it in reverse and it was magically working again. I did not do any of the things he suggested. HOWEVER, the song "Help!" by the Beatles was playing so I think that did it LOL.

He said that he has seen instances where water got into the camera from the rear hatch that can cause issues. But the last time I washed my car was two weeks ago.

Camera not working

Camera working

2017 owner here and yes, it's happened to me twice. It came back on only after the car was off for a few minutes.

You can update your own System software if you want to take that on (Don't think I'd really recommend it given the fact that Mazda frowns on it). Periodically there are sites that offer downloads of Mazda's system firmware. However they seem to be taken down quickly.

Here's info from a Canadian service bulletin that might be pertinent:

Subject:
AUDIO, NAVIGATION AND PHONE CONCERNS WITH MAZDA CONNECT
INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
Bulletin No: 09-024/16
Last Issued: 07/05/2016

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience the symptoms mentioned below, which can be fixed with the latest software
update (Version 55.00.760 or later).
• Some street names in Canada are not displayed.
• Navigation does not allow to set certain cities as destination.
• Navigation does not announce voice guidance for street names.
• Navigation turns to a black screen remaining the task bar.
• Turn -by-turn navigation guidance does not display on on the active driving display (for vehicles with
55.00.750).
• Every time the navigation is turned on, the vehicle position starts from the location (dealer) where the CMU
was updated from version 55.00.650 to 55.00.750.
• Navigation or other screen turn black, freeze or reboot.
• System does not recognize USB/SD card.
Previously Issued TSBs: Date(s) Issued
09-024/16 05/03/16 and 04/19/16
09-022/15 08/10/15, 06/02/15, 06/10/15 and 07/01/15
09-006/14 01/24/14, 03/25/14, 03/28/14, 04/23/14, 05/01/14, 06/05/14 and 09/16/14
09-034/13 (MSP41) 12/4/13
Bulletin No: 09-024/16
2016 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.
Last Issued: 07/05/2016
Page 2 of 21
• Some menu of music source selection is grayed out.
• When using the call button on the cell phone to make a call, the call sound is short.
• Favorites disappear.
• Vehicle current position is not accurate enough.
• Rear view monitor does not show up on screen.
• Text information of HD radio is not displayed when switching music source.
• When asking for current location with voice command “Where am I?”, the system responds with “Your location
is comma.”
• Contact information cannot be loaded correctly from phones other than iPhone.
NOTE: Mazda is working to make further improvements to the Mazda Connect Infotainment System software,
and may issue future software updates to improve system operation and performance. Software version
updates can be found on MS3 under IDS/Infotainment.
Customers having any of these concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

Last edited:
2017 CX-5 back up camera fails but reset works

2017 owner here and yes, it's happened to me twice. It came back on only after the car was off for a few minutes.

Just to revive this old thread, I wanted to report my experience. Today without warning the back up camera on my brand new (820 miles) Touring stopped working.

The Entertainment screen would just stay on when I was in reverse. Turning the car on and off did nothing, but doing a back/nav/mute reset which I learned about today for the first time on this forum did work. BTW, for other newbies like me, the reset does not erase your favorites, pairing, or other settings as far as I can tell.

Just to revive this old thread, I wanted to report my experience. Today without warning the back up camera on my brand new (820 miles) Touring stopped working.

The Entertainment screen would just stay on when I was in reverse. Turning the car on and off did nothing, but doing a back/nav/mute reset — which I learned about today for the first time on this forum — did work. BTW, for other newbies like me, the reset does not erase your favorites, pairing, or other settings as far as I can tell.
There were various irritating issues with my entertainment system when I got it but they were all resolved when the dealer installed the latest firmware update. Its worth checking.

There were various irritating issues with my entertainment system when I got it but they were all resolved when the dealer installed the latest firmware update. Its worth checking.

Thanks. Will check.

Whoa. Defender of Zamda hurtful points about backup camera:
1. Resolution in total darkness is that of a Rhinoceros
2. When it rains - back up camera is useless. Maybe you can add some sort of tape etc. to protect it or run in some rainX but thats poor design.

Also for the first time my bluetooth disconnected. For the first time.

Whoa. Defender of Zamda hurtful points about backup camera:
1. Resolution in total darkness is that of a Rhinoceros
2. When it rains - back up camera is useless. Maybe you can add some sort of tape etc. to protect it or run in some rainX but thats poor design.

Also for the first time my bluetooth disconnected. For the first time.
Yeah, the camera lens tend to be filled with droplets of water when it rains.

There is a revue website called Revoo on Mazdas UK website. There are many complaints about these rear cameras but I just happened to look at the same website for the Kia Soul - tons of complaints about the same thing.

I dont get it myself. These cameras are a recent addition to cars that can be quite useful as an aid but people are getting all upset as if it has all of a sudden become impossible to reverse a car without crystal clear vision at the back without moving an inch in your seat and watching a clear colour display. There is nowhere else to put the thing but outside and unless its going to be a special all weather broadcast camera with a wiper blade, its going to get wet and dirty. Oh no! The camera is wet and dirty in wet and dirty weather. Park the car up, avoid reversing , check into a hotel or surrender your license................

........or do what you have always done and turn you flippin head round without relying on the camera you never previously had. If the weather is dry, it will work and if it isnt, well hard luck.

The Entertainment screen would just stay on when I was in reverse. Turning the car on and off did nothing, but doing a back/nav/mute reset which I learned about today for the first time on this forum did work. BTW, for other newbies like me, the reset does not erase your favorites, pairing, or other settings as far as I can tell.

Ditto. Issue also happened to me for the first time on my 17 CX-5 on today's pouring day in Vancouver. Thanks for the reset trick which also resolved the issue for me. Whew!

Back