Reviews Monday for 2017s?

The front end is *ugly*. The side swoop goes down, not up. Wrong. It has a HUD!!! Steering wheel switchgear might be more usable. Everybody gets LED headlights!

I'm not upset that I saved about $1,000, although I'd love that HUD. Although I'd still probably hear 'You are over the speeeed limit' every couple minutes. :D

Yeah, that really rustled my jimmies with the 2017. I do not like the exterior at all. Or the chrome.

TFL blew that one. They refused to actually compare the mazda to the luxo cars. Why the hell not?!

Agreed. I learned more about the lux cars than how they compared to the Mazda (outside of power and throttle response). I know they had a major time crunch but still disappointing.

The front end is *ugly*. The side swoop goes down, not up. Wrong. It has a HUD!!! Steering wheel switchgear might be more usable. Everybody gets LED headlights!

I'm not upset that I saved about $1,000, although I'd love that HUD. Although I'd still probably hear 'You are over the speeeed limit' every couple minutes. :D

Ha! I've actually read/watched every review of the 2017. Can't help it! Buyer's remorse with my 2016.5? Maybe a little, but not really. I knew what was coming, weighed my options. As much as I like some of the upgrades and features, I still prefer the look of the 2016 interior much better. The 2017 exterior is growing on me, but I miss the swoop and don't care for the chrome touches either. As for options, I really wanted a CD player, which the 2017 doesn't offer stateside. That's a far more important feature to me than an auto-lift gate or a tweaked door handle. The HUD is nice, but only on the most expensive package - which I never would have gotten anyway. And I actually prefer cloth seats to leather - even the fake leather of the new Touring. Given that, the discount, and the 0% financing I got with my 2016.5, I'm sure I saved far more than $1000. ;)

Having read most of the reviews, and having driven the 2017 over here in Japan several times, before ordering a new one, this review most mirrors my experience. It's a greatly improved vehicle, and the naysayers haven't experienced it themselves and 2016.5 buyers should be feeling buyers remorse. And mine is the diesel... it moves really well!

cool, you got a 2017, I'm interested in one too but want to do my due diligence on every little detail, can you do me a big favor and check the wiper connector,
does it have the same nonsense going on with the new CX-9 ?

1) non-standard wiper connector must buy replacement wipers from Mazda
2) leaking/dribbling washer fluid on hard turns
3) no low washer fluid dash light indicator on highest signature trim ....

see link, thanks in advance.....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123858253-2016-CX-9-Wiper-Blade-Connector&highlight=wiper

Having read most of the reviews, and having driven the 2017 over here in Japan several times, before ordering a new one, this review most mirrors my experience. It's a greatly improved vehicle, and the naysayers haven't experienced it themselves and 2016.5 buyers should be feeling buyers remorse. And mine is the diesel... it moves really well!

Not at all quite the opposite. When i got mine - i needed a car in 2 weeks in September start 2016. 6 and half months ago. On top of that this forum made me realize a good selling point. I think i was one of the best msrp discount up until that point.
I was aware of the Mazda quality and tolerances and that the brand was making a comeback - so very happy with reliable 2016.5 in mid trim. Only gripe was not getting tech in touring. I will be eyeing a used 2017 once i need to replace my 2nd car - top trim to treat wifey.
Its good if Mazda reaches its 1.55 million target for FY 17. Hopefully buyers realize that Mazda is getting rave reviews all over the world. #1 SUV in Australia, SE Asian and European countries, 27% year on year sales jump in Europe. German magazine Bild also did a reliability test - they drove the Mazda for 100,000 kms and reviewed all parts - rated it as one of the best made cars in last 15 years. they did similar test on Audi Q3 - it looked as if CX-5 did half the miles compared to Audi.
More mazda goes up the better for me.

buyers remorse is coming up for sure for 2016.5 buyers maybe even 2016

Perhaps for some, but never for me. The main appeal of the CX-5 for me was the availability of the manual and the double-DIN (aftermarket-ready) audio.
Those two characteristics have provided the pleasurable ownership that I enjoy.

Both are gone in 2017.

Who has a 2016 CX-5 and is having buyer's remorse?

I go online and see what a beauty the new 2017 CX-5 is. I also see some pretty convenient features that the 2016s don't have. Then I go and drive the wife's 2016 CX-5 GT to work today and I think to myself, this is a perfectly fine car. Now if the 2017 models came with the 2.5T engine, then that's a different story.

Honestly, nothing in the 2017 is making me feel like I need to get it.

I think I'll see what the CX-5 looks like in a few years. ;)

Who has a 2016 CX-5 and is having buyer's remorse?

I go online and see what a beauty the new 2017 CX-5 is. I also see some pretty convenient features that the 2016s don't have. Then I go and drive the wife's 2016 CX-5 GT to work today and I think to myself, this is a perfectly fine car. Now if the 2017 models came with the 2.5T engine, then that's a different story.

I got mine in Oct 2015, so it'd have been too long a wait. I don't care much about the new improvements, nice to have but not really wanted, and I prefer the exterior shape/design of the 2016 better (curvier, not too luxury), so no buyer's remorse. The only thing that I'd love is the minor improvement on the piston to reduce knock and for better lubrication, as well as the adjusted throttle response. My 2016's performance is not very consistent: on certain days it runs a little rough and underpower, on other days it drives like there's a jet engine pushing from behind. I'm still trying to see the pattern but there're too many variables (gas, temperature in winter, cold/warn engine, ...). I definitely want to test drive the 2017 to see if it's better with the new piston. Also, G-Vectoring would be nice.

There're still downsides of the turbo (long-term durability, spooling, ...) so I guess Mazda will throw it in once they feel comfortable with it. There's always room for improvements with Mazda.

My 16.5 has absolutely normal j-hook wiper arms, and easy-to-replace wiper blade inserts...

???

sorry for confusion, you misunderstood, all 2016.5 and previous years have standard J-hooks meaning you can just go to any store and get replacement wipers easily ,

I was talking about the new 2017 CX-5 and asking the 2017 CX-5 owner in Japan if he can take a closer look at the 2017 CX-5 wiper connection and if it's the same as the new CX-9

there's a lot of pet peeves on the new CX-9, was just wondering it those somehow ended up on the new 2017 CX-5

here are some of the nonsense going on with the new CX-9:

3) no low washer fluid dash light indicator warning on highest signature trim ...some Signature CX-9 owners actually ran out of fluid while driving without warning

see link below.......
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ighlight=wiper

Last edited:
no buyer's remorse for me. bought my 2016 GT/tech AWD in Apr 2015 so have had ~ 2yrs of enjoyment. the 2017 looks great but this is the nature of the auto industry - there will always be better stuff coming out later. at some point, you have to decide whether you have the features you need or whether it is worth it to wait. would i like rear vents for my kids and a quieter cabin and adaptive CC that goes down to stop? yes. but i enjoy my 2016 and it's been good to me so always count your blessings and don't worry about what's new and out there too much (unless u have gobs of money to waste).

no buyer's remorse for me. bought my 2016 GT/tech AWD in Apr 2015 so have had ~ 2yrs of enjoyment. the 2017 looks great but this is the nature of the auto industry - there will always be better stuff coming out later. at some point, you have to decide whether you have the features you need or whether it is worth it to wait. would i like rear vents for my kids and a quieter cabin and adaptive CC that goes down to stop? yes. but i enjoy my 2016 and it's been good to me so always count your blessings and don't worry about what's new and out there too much (unless u have gobs of money to waste).

True-I will buy the skyactiv 2 with 34 mpg combined when it comes out in 2020. That would last me for 10 years.

Mazda spend so much time on those intangible things like driving position and steering feel to differentiate from economy offerings, IMO that's why they brought along the things from the class above yet all these media care about are features and value, pointless articles, a 20k Kia comes better equipped than all of them these days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

sorry for confusion, you misunderstood, all 2016.5 and previous years have standard J-hooks meaning you can just go to any store and get replacement wipers easily ,

I was talking about the new 2017 CX-5 and asking the 2017 CX-5 owner in Japan if he can take a closer look at the 2017 CX-5 wiper connection and if it's the same as the new CX-9

there's a lot of pet peeves on the new CX-9, was just wondering it those somehow ended up on the new 2017 CX-5

here are some of the nonsense going on with the new CX-9:

3) no low washer fluid dash light indicator warning on highest signature trim ...some Signature CX-9 owners actually ran out of fluid while driving without warning

see link below.......
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ighlight=wiper

I'm still waiting for delivery, but I doubt that I'll ever check the wiper blades, that's the sort of thing that the dealer automatically handles for you here. I do not recall any washer fluid indicators, and the CX - 9 isn't even available here...

^^^no, but it does seem like they made a lot of incremental improvements. Am I lining up with my 65k mile 2014 saying take my money? No, but I'm still loking forward to checking it out and don't see me not getting another one at some point..18/19my probably

Back