Looking for a 2016.5 CX-5 GT for my wife

I have the leatherette in the Mazda6 Touring with heated seats. Its the best fake leather seats I've sat on thus far. Better than VW or BMW fake leather. Plus its perforated to stay cooler. The primary difference in feel between it and the real leather comes after touching them. Then again my hands are on the steering wheel.

I was interested in the 6, but felt that CX5 and 6 drivetrain were similar or almost same. So if a problem developed I would be hit twice as hard. The 6 was base trim with more miles - but certified. ended up with Camry / SE sportier suspension. Last night went out for a drive - I just feel the 6 would have been so much better feeling than this. Hopefully I am not buying a car for the next 3-4 years.

The leather is not a satisfying or luxurious feeling leather like in more upscale cars, and the GT Leather seats also have stiffer foam inside.
You have pointed out something most people don't aware: the "leather" seats in GT is different seats than the cloth seats in Touring and Sport in CX-5. Not only the foam and padding, but also the size and shape are different. Mazda calls its leather seats the "Sport Leather Seats"! I also agree the factory leather feels like leatherette or fake leather, the quality and feeling are totally different than all leather seats in our previous vehicles.

Werechull - unless you are buying a 2015 or older, or you are buying a 2016.5 with 40K miles or more - at this point going used makes no sense.
If I were you - wait for 1 month after 2017 is out.
Search for left over 16.5 with GT + fully loaded. It comes to about 33K. Get a significant discount on it - 15%.

If that is not in your budget - then you really need to be luckly and find a used 16.5 fully loaded with 60-65K miles - otherwise it wont make much sense going used.
CX5 holds its value really well. Difference between used and new wont be much.
OP, take this Kaps' suggestion very seriously and I totally agree with his point!

Seriously, if it's the 2016.5 CX-5 she wants, go buy new. Full warranty, big discounts, and 0% interest rates plus loyalty rebates as high as $1000. No brainer if you ask me......

If you look at it - both 17 and 19 the total outer diameter is same - for 17s the tires are thicker - 19s the rim is of more diameter and hence the tires are thinner - between the rims and tires - the tires are softer and have more play. So over bumps the 17 provides more cushion than 19s.
On plus side - in a 19 you may be able to attack a corner faster than 17.

19s are more expensive down the road to replace. They look great though.
I thought you said going for 19" wheels instead of 18" even with $2,265 extra (on Honda CR-V) is a must?! ;)

I thought you said going for 19" wheels instead of 18" even with $2,265 extra (on Honda CR-V) is a must?! ;)
Apples to apple.. not a must. Btw did you read Mango's post on CR-V forums... Its hilarious.
Paid 37k for his, Android auto works for 30 seconds only.

If you look at it - both 17 and 19 the total outer diameter is same - for 17s the tires are thicker - 19s the rim is of more diameter and hence the tires are thinner - between the rims and tires - the tires are softer and have more play. So over bumps the 17 provides more cushion than 19s.
On plus side - in a 19 you may be able to attack a corner faster than 17.

19s are more expensive down the road to replace. They look great though.
I did not know that! What number in a tire size indicates outer diameter?
Since you didn't aware of this, is that the reason why you think bigger 19" wheel accessary, hence bigger sized tires in diameter, is a must for a new car purchases? ;)

Generally speaking, you can find tire outside diameter in tire specs for the size. You can also figure it out by calculation (~28.5" with tire size 225/65R17 on Sport and Touring; ~28.8" with tire size 225/55R19 on GT).

Apples to apple.. not a must. Btw did you read Mango's post on CR-V forums... Its hilarious.
Paid 37k for his, Android auto works for 30 seconds only.
Ha if you read all kind of software and hardware problems of infotainment system on new $45,000 CX-9, you'd think Mazda's infotainment system is not much better than Honda CR-V's! Some even get black screen driving out of the dealer's lot brand new or within a week of ownership! At least Honda will eventually fix thier Android Auto through software updates which should make AA working longer than 30 seconds! ;) But in our new CX-5, you'll never get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support unless someone comes up with a hack!

My stock nav broke after a year and I'd used it for total of 5 times many be?

Ha if you read all kind of software and hardware problems of infotainment system on new $45,000 CX-9, you'd think Mazda's infotainment system is not much better than Honda CR-V's! Some even get black screen driving out of the dealer's lot brand new or within a week of ownership! At least Honda will eventually fix thier Android Auto through software updates which should make AA working longer than 30 seconds! ;) But in our new CX-5, you'll never get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support unless someone comes up with a hack!

My stock nav broke after a year and I'd used it for total of 5 times many be?

Yrwei this is a perfect example of whataboutery​. Fact is that mango has lost all credibility due to negating two of Honda's significant plus points:
1. Resale- when you buy a 37k Honda you won't get anywhere near the resale lol.
2. Reliability new drivetrain and tons of new features. What's the opportunity cost to spend days at the dealership?

Finally someone on CR-V forums said that the next Apple OS release should fix the problem. So now you have a Honda whose main selling point depends on Apple OS? What if Apple files chapter 11 in next 5 years?

Second point: Apple forces users to upgrade. If you don't drink that cool aid, AA will be useless on a 4 year old iPhone since OS won't be supported. You see the problem with this? Honda can't force Apple to make carplay backward compatible. So AA and carplay can actually be a burden in long-term ownership.

Yrwei this is a perfect example of whataboutery​. Fact is that mango has lost all credibility due to negating two of Honda's significant plus points:
1. Resale- when you buy a 37k Honda you won't get anywhere near the resale lol.
2. Reliability new drivetrain and tons of new features. What's the opportunity cost to spend days at the dealership?

Finally someone on CR-V forums said that the next Apple OS release should fix the problem. So now you have a Honda whose main selling point depends on Apple OS? What if Apple files chapter 11 in next 5 years?
I don't know how accurate that was about the guy paid $37K for a Honda CR-V. The MSRP for top-of-line 2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD is $33,695 and I saw a member in Canada ordered a CR-V for near the dealer's cost! Unless this $37,000 amount included a bunch of unnecessary dealer-installed accessories including $2,265 19" wheels, and also included freight、tax、title、and license fees!

With 3 times more 2016 CR-V owners, the total number of complaints at NHTSA website is 45 with 1 recall. 2016 Mazda CX-5 has 82 complaints and 4 recalls! Now which one do you trust more with less issues?

No, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are not the main selling point for the CR-V but simply just one of the many nice features. Of course nobody would believe any possibility of Apple filing chapter 11 in next 5 years!

Christ almighty give the CR-V talk a rest. Maybe mods can move them to their own thread.

⋯ Using the "Build Your Own" tool, it looks like we need the i-ActiveSense Package but can probably get by without the GT Tech Package. Then, the Remote Start would need to be an add on option.
I highly recommend getting the Tech Package for LED lightings and AFS. If you think Remote Start is a must, you'd better do some more research on Mazda's Remote Start which is a dealer installed accessory. You can't have remote start function built into you factory remote key fob. You're going to carry an additional key fob only for Remote Start. Another option is Mazda Mobil Start which is using your cell phone app with monthly subscription fee. Some people said the MMS can take as much as 4 minutes to login the app and remote-start the engine!

Last edited:
I don't know how accurate that was about the guy paid $37K for a Honda CR-V. The MSRP for top-of-line 2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD is $33,695 and I saw a member in Canada ordered a CR-V for near the dealer's cost! Unless this $37,000 amount included a bunch of unnecessary dealer-installed accessories including $2,265 19" wheels, and also included freight、tax、title、and license fees!
I checked it out and yep - north of $37K! Did include the 19" rims, as well as front and rear sports bumpers (whatever they are) and a bunch of other extras.

My wife isn't interested in the CR-V, so no need to discuss it here.

I-Activsense is hard to find. I talked it over with her and she can get by without it. To be honest, at the GT level even the Tech Package doesn't seem all that necessary, but the LEDs and Adaptive Lighting are probably nice to have.

Looking at new prices for 2016 FWD base GT, I see around $28k-$29k as the list price right now. Lightly used isn't much lower, 'though that may change once the 2017 finally comes out and some people swap their 2016 for a 2017.

Looking at prices and features in 2017, the Touring with Preferred Package is pretty tempting. It looks roughly equatable with the base 2016 GT and will be priced at about what the 2016 GT would cost new, maybe less. The big question is whether the "leatherette" will be an acceptable alternative to my wife. Do the holes in the leatherette make it harder to keep clean? Keep in mind 2 kids under the age of 5.

Last edited:
I higher recommend getting the Tech Package for LED lightings and AFS. If you think Remote Start is a must, you'd better do some more research on Mazda's Remote Start which is a dealer installed accessory. You can't have remote start function built into you factory remote key fob. You're going to carry an additional key fob only for Remote Start. Another option is Mazda Mobil Start which is using your cell phone app with monthly subscription fee. Some people said the MMS can take as much as 4 minutes to login the app and remote-start the engine!

Thanks for the info. I saw some posts on aftermarket options and may look into one of those. It's frustrating Mazda doesn't have a better OEM solution, especially when they're trying to go upscale.

I would seriously consider the 2017 - you can even get the signature LED Grille that is on Mazda6. It is going to be a superb vehicle. Remember this - I still rank Mazda's build quality and tolerances below Toyota / Honda and most people categorize me as a fanboy. So touring with tech will give you less heart burn if the quality is below par. Plus the wheels look nicer for touring. No question - you may get 16GT for same price as 17 Touring with preferred but 2 little kids on long road trips - you need rear vents + recline option for adults if any is good. Also the heated wheel is nice and useful feature. Get 17 in white and get the signature LED grille. you will turn heads even at night.

I would seriously consider the 2017 - you can even get the signature LED Grille that is on Mazda6. It is going to be a superb vehicle. Remember this - I still rank Mazda's build quality and tolerances below Toyota / Honda and most people categorize me as a fanboy. So touring with tech will give you less heart burn if the quality is below par. Plus the wheels look nicer for touring. No question - you may get 16GT for same price as 17 Touring with preferred but 2 little kids on long road trips - you need rear vents + recline option for adults if any is good. Also the heated wheel is nice and useful feature. Get 17 in white and get the signature LED grille. you will turn heads even at night.

You had me 'til "Get the 17 in white..." White?? So many beautiful Mazda colors to choose from, and you like the white?

You had me 'til "Get the 17 in white..." White?? So many beautiful Mazda colors to choose from, and you like the white?

Hehe colors? You mean red and then an assortment of grays?

I love my pearl white '14 :) Definitely was the best color.

Saw a new white CX-9 yesterday, looks great. Shows the curves. I also think white can give a vehicle more presence.

Back