Looking for a 2016.5 CX-5 GT for my wife

Werechull

:
'09 Pontiac Vibe GT, '16 CX-5 GT Soul Red
Thanks for all the posts when I asked for help for myself (https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ve-CX-5-owner-Which-model-year-trim-do-I-want). In the end, I decided to save some cash and bought a 2009 Vibe GT with 85k miles for $6k. It's not that I was ignoring your advice. Rather, it was because I knew this day would come: it's time for my wife to buy a new car and since I went cheap, she can go all out.

She currently drives a 2007 Mazda 3 GT and loves it. It's not my favorite (crummy headroom, can't fold the seats flat and sleep in the back) but I appreciate how much better it handles than my Vibe. We're having another kid and need a bigger family car. I want a mini-van (SO MUCH SPACE!!!) but she wants a CX-5, so CX-5 it is.

She wants pretty much all the bells and whistles. Must have a leather interior. Nice to haves (which likely translates to Must Haves) include upgraded sound, all the safety features imaginable, and remote start.

As far as I can tell, to get the leather interior we have to go with the GT. Using the "Build Your Own" tool, it looks like we need the i-ActiveSense Package but can probably get by without the GT Tech Package. Then, the Remote Start would need to be an add on option. Does that sound about right?

We're looking at shopping used unless they do some crazy deals on the 2016 once the 2017 finally arrives. How can I tell on a used GT which saftey/tech package it has?

Thanks much!

Let me get this right. She wants:

Bells and whistles (at least the ones that really matter)
Leather
Looking for Used as to save money

2 options that first comes to mind are:

Certified Used 2016.5 CX-5 GT.
Certified Used 2016.5 CX-5 Touring with Tech. You then purchase custom Neoprene (or Leather) seat covers. Neoprene is essentially the material used in scuba diving suits. Water proof yet won't make your interior like an oven during the hot Arizona Summer like Leather will.

Neoprene is essentially the material used in scuba diving suits. Water proof yet won't make your interior like an oven during the hot Arizona Summer like Leather will.

If it were my car, I'd be all over that. Heck, I'd pay extra NOT to get leather. However, I'd say it's more like a really hot skillet than an oven.
My wife says she wants leather 'cause it's easier to clean. That's definitely part of it, but I suspect she also likes the feel of it. She may not go for neoprene.

I thought the 2016.5 GT comes with the tech package and I-ACTIVSENSE PACKAGE already? The online build feature is confusing.

Fortunately when buying a used 2016.5 the dealer would tell you any packages it comes with. Try searching autotrader.

If she wants leather, get her leather. It gets in triple digits here in the summer, I park outside at work and never had a issue with seats being too hot. Of course I got the cream colored interior, not the black

Werechull - unless you are buying a 2015 or older, or you are buying a 2016.5 with 40K miles or more - at this point going used makes no sense.
If I were you - wait for 1 month after 2017 is out.
Search for left over 16.5 with GT + fully loaded. It comes to about 33K. Get a significant discount on it - 15%.

If that is not in your budget - then you really need to be luckly and find a used 16.5 fully loaded with 60-65K miles - otherwise it wont make much sense going used.
CX5 holds its value really well. Difference between used and new wont be much.

We're looking at shopping used unless they do some crazy deals on the 2016 once the 2017 finally arrives. How can I tell on a used GT which saftey/tech package it has?

Thanks much!
Two things i can think of - the Mazda logo on front bumper will be different since the sensor is inside it. On the font panel cluster - the right hand side will show you distance markers for Adaptive cruise control - basically a car with horizontal lines on it, you will also in the button cluster on the left where normally traction control button is see the Lane departure control - two lines with car drawn on it. See if you can look at brochure for what the package includes.

If i were buying now - i would get a touring with Tech - about 28800 or so MSRP and try to get 15-17% off MSRP with OTD of $ 26500. - 17s are great for a family CUV, 19s are somewhat harsh.
Keep in mind - my discount numbers are pretty aggressive - if luck does not favor you - you will find it hard to get those.
good luck.

Werechull - unless you are buying a 2015 or older, or you are buying a 2016.5 with 40K miles or more - at this point going used makes no sense.
If I were you - wait for 1 month after 2017 is out.
Search for left over 16.5 with GT + fully loaded. It comes to about 33K. Get a significant discount on it - 15%.

If that is not in your budget - then you really need to be luckly and find a used 16.5 fully loaded with 60-65K miles - otherwise it wont make much sense going used.
CX5 holds its value really well. Difference between used and new wont be much.

In our region (Arizona) we can find used (and certified) 2016.5 models under 33k right now. Problem is stock is running short.

OP here's an example in Avondale. http://www.avondalemazda.com/vehicl...da-cx-5-grand-touring-avondale-az-id-17547321

2016.5 with only 11k miles. Color=Silver. Leather. i-ACTIVSENSE Package. Internet Price is $29K
Oh and certified pre-owned warranty = 7 year 100K mile power train warranty so good through um 2023 or so?

In our region (Arizona) we can find used (and certified) 2016.5 models under 33k right now. Problem is stock is running short.

OP here's an example in Avondale. http://www.avondalemazda.com/vehicl...da-cx-5-grand-touring-avondale-az-id-17547321

2016.5 with only 11k miles. Color=Silver. Leather. i-ACTIVSENSE Package. Internet Price is $29K
Oh and certified pre-owned warranty = 7 year 100K mile power train warranty so good through um 2023 or so?

29K for that is expensive. When i was hunting for CX-5 the price thread had 7-10% off MSRP as respectable discount - i scored 12.2 - right now last few pages folks have started hitting 13% off MSRP. If i do the math - a new one would be cheaper than this certified. Besides in used you have to take the color and not select it. Although i agree - certified is better warranty.

29K for that is expensive. When i was hunting for CX-5 the price thread had 7-10% off MSRP as respectable discount - i scored 12.2 - right now last few pages folks have started hitting 13% off MSRP. If i do the math - a new one would be cheaper than this certified. Besides in used you have to take the color and not select it. Although i agree - certified is better warranty.

Good points.

Why is the ride harsher with the 19s?
Thanks to everyone. Very helpful.

If you look at it - both 17 and 19 the total outer diameter is same - for 17s the tires are thicker - 19s the rim is of more diameter and hence the tires are thinner - between the rims and tires - the tires are softer and have more play. So over bumps the 17 provides more cushion than 19s.
On plus side - in a 19 you may be able to attack a corner faster than 17.

19s are more expensive down the road to replace. They look great though.

If you look at it - both 17 and 19 the total outer diameter is same - for 17s the tires are thicker - 19s the rim is of more diameter and hence the tires are thinner - between the rims and tires - the tires are softer and have more play. So over bumps the 17 provides more cushion than 19s.

I did not know that! What number in a tire size indicates outer diameter?

Ah. Makes sense. Well crud, that does complicate things. She really does want that leather. I suppose I could get the GT wit 19s and swap them out for 17s, but that seems like a waste.

We'll wait 'til the 2017 drops and see what kind of deal we can get on a new 2016.5. Hopefully they don't sell out of them.

The leather is not a satisfying or luxurious feeling leather like in more upscale cars, and the GT Leather seats also have stiffer foam inside.

For 16.5 the Tourings cozy CLOTH seats also got HEATED SEATS, that is one of my favorite features over leather.

GT does not have this???????
The leather seats in the GT always had Heated Seats. It is just the 16.5 model year TOURING with cloth that finally got SEAT WARMERS.

The 2017 Touring will have a leatherette/sueded cloth inserts, and the GT will have the actual cow hide leather.

Last edited:
The 2017 Touring will have a leatherette/sueded cloth inserts, and the GT will have the actual cow hide leather.
Lol if my wife knew this she would pay more for Touring than GT just to avoid the cow hide leather.

Lol if my wife knew this she would pay more for Touring than GT just to avoid the cow hide leather.
I really have never enjoyed the feel of any of the Mazda Leather seated cars, and for the most part have avoided them. I enjoy the cloth seats, the alcantara suede cloth seats also, even the leatherette feels better to me then the real leather. However Mazda is making improvements here, and I look forward to seeing how it feels for 2017.

I really have never enjoyed the feel of any of the Mazda Leather seated cars, and for the most part have avoided them. I enjoy the cloth seats, the alcantara suede cloth seats also, even the leatherette feels better to me then the real leather. However Mazda is making improvements here, and I look forward to seeing how it feels for 2017.

I have the leatherette in the Mazda6 Touring with heated seats. Its the best fake leather seats I've sat on thus far. Better than VW or BMW fake leather. Plus its perforated to stay cooler. The primary difference in feel between it and the real leather comes after touching them. Then again my hands are on the steering wheel.

Back