Brands with the best manual transmissions...

myke232

:
Mazda CX-5
Since the 2017 won't come with a manual, I'm out... What other brands have the best manuals? In my experience, my Honda Accord manual was the best ever! Also, it's cool that the higher trim levels still come with a manual, although I just don't want a sedan anymore... Only honda large enough that has a manual is the HRV, but I'm not sure I would want one of those...

How do other brands manuals stack up? Subaru, Volkswagen etc.?

Since the 2017 won't come with a manual, I'm out... What other brands have the best manuals? In my experience, my Honda Accord manual was the best ever! Also, it's cool that the higher trim levels still come with a manual, although I just don't want a sedan anymore... Only honda large enough that has a manual is the HRV, but I'm not sure I would want one of those...

How do other brands manuals stack up? Subaru, Volkswagen etc.?

I currently drive a 2002 Toyota Solara V6 manual which I think is very good. I've test driven a number of recent manual cars as I've been on the look out for something with good cargo room and a manual...here are my thoughts....

Honda HR-V - The clutch is VERY light, easy for city driving. It's very vague though as well making finding the catch points a bit of a chore, but you do get used to it.
VW Golf - The clutch catch point is very low to the floor, so micro movements on lifting your foot and you're "right there". Feel is good, but not alot of room for error with the short travel.
Subaru Forester - Sort of middle of the pack, nothing too good or too bad on those. You do need to rev quite high, near thrashing it, to get the power out though.
Toyota / Scion iM - I thought it felt pretty darn good, better than a Forester, not as good as the Golf
Honda Fit - Same as HR-V
Mazda CX-5 - Well weighted if I remember correctly (it's been awhile), certainly the better than the Forester, probably on par with the Golf.
Kia Soul - The clutch is just "ok", the real problem is the tiny motor / sluggishness with the smaller engine.

If there are any other SUV"ish" vehicles you know of in a manual transmission let me know.

This one is the best hands down. Indestructible clutch plates, true lifetime transmission fluid, smooth shifts with perfect notchiness.

logitech_g29_driving_force_shifter.jpg

I currently drive a 2002 Toyota Solara V6 manual which I think is very good. I've test driven a number of recent manual cars as I've been on the look out for something with good cargo room and a manual...here are my thoughts....

Honda HR-V - The clutch is VERY light, easy for city driving. It's very vague though as well making finding the catch points a bit of a chore, but you do get used to it.
VW Golf - The clutch catch point is very low to the floor, so micro movements on lifting your foot and you're "right there". Feel is good, but not alot of room for error with the short travel.
Subaru Forester - Sort of middle of the pack, nothing too good or too bad on those. You do need to rev quite high, near thrashing it, to get the power out though.
Toyota / Scion iM - I thought it felt pretty darn good, better than a Forester, not as good as the Golf
Honda Fit - Same as HR-V
Mazda CX-5 - Well weighted if I remember correctly (it's been awhile), certainly the better than the Forester, probably on par with the Golf.
Kia Soul - The clutch is just "ok", the real problem is the tiny motor / sluggishness with the smaller engine.

If there are any other SUV"ish" vehicles you know of in a manual transmission let me know.
Interesting... thanks for all that info.

So the VW manual is good one huh? They now have the Golf Sportwagen and Golf Alltrack wagon and they come in a manual...

Also, the HRV sounds ok based on what you say about it...

And Subaru has a new Impreza wagon, which has a sport model... still trying to find out if the manual on that is different than their typical manual...

Oh, and I like the PS4 thingy... :)

So the VW manual is good one huh? They now have the Golf Sportwagen and Golf Alltrack wagon and they come in a manual...

And Subaru has a new Impreza wagon, which has a sport model... still trying to find out if the manual on that is different than their typical manual...

I wanted to like the HR-V when I was manual shopping, but after driving it and the '16 CX-5 back to back, I had to go with the CX-5. I recall the HR-V having a tremendous amount of rev-hang and too light of a clutch.

Asking about brand order....this is how I would stack it
1) Mazda
2) VW
3) Toyota
4) Subaru
5) Kia
6) Honda

One thing that drove me nuts on the HR-V is that the shifter is very narrow, when driving it feels like an Atari joystick and the gears are very hard to find. If I got a HR-V, the first thing I would do is get a different shifter!
Atari-2600-Joystick.jpg

I wanted to like the HR-V when I was manual shopping, but after driving it and the '16 CX-5 back to back, I had to go with the CX-5. I recall the HR-V having a tremendous amount of rev-hang and too light of a clutch.

That to, rev-hang and the light clutch along with the shifter all = bad manual experience!!

Thanks for the info! I will have to test drive the VWs. Not sure of their overall quality though...

My Trans Am---T56...not bad, not great
My Z06 (C6)---TR6060...pretty damn nice
My 370Z---whatever those had...absolute TRASH. Wouldn't put that in a dump truck.
WRX (2017) I drove---really nice once you get aftermarket parts to take the slop out of the gates.

I just went from a 2002 Passat wagon 1.8t with the MT to the CX-5 with MT. Sportwagen and alltrack have a similar engine to my old Passat. That engine is more powerful than the 2.0 in the cx-5. I think the throws are longer in the vw. Also can get more option with vw.

I just went from a 2002 Passat wagon 1.8t with the MT to the CX-5 with MT. Sportwagen and alltrack have a similar engine to my old Passat. That engine is more powerful than the 2.0 in the cx-5. I think the throws are longer in the vw. Also can get more option with vw.
What did you think of the VW quality as the years rolled on? I've always heard they aren't the most reliable and the quality slips, but I've never owned one.

What did you think of the VW quality as the years rolled on? I've always heard they aren't the most reliable and the quality slips, but I've never owned one.
We used to buy only VWs for new vehicle purchases. We bought 1985 VW Jetta, 1987 VW Vanagon, and 2001.5 VW Passat, all with stick shift. We also keep our vehicles for very long time. For VW purchases we're making sure the particular model is made in Germany to ensure better quality. But the 2001.5 VW Passat has become our last VW because I finally had enough on all the problems we have had. Although I always DIY on maintenance and repairs, that car is really disappointed me on quality and reliability. The Audi made 2.8L V6 is burning a lot of oil since new, and the water pump broke at 50,000 miles. Although the Audi made 5-speed manual is really smooth and nice. So my advice for getting a VW is don't expect good reliability and plan a short ownership. Handling, performance are always the best and amenities are plenty for the price.

Back