Just picked up a 2016 AWD Grand Touring

Your dad sounds cool, I would know I'm also a pilot. That explains a lot about what you've shown us to be interests. Also I still find it baffling how you drive a stock cx5.

17097356_10158262003310487_5601671722806293338_o.jpg
Haha, because I view my CX-5 the way a pilot might view a car...it just gets me to the airfield, so to speak.

Yeah, my Dad is awesome. We are very alike in some ways, and polar opposites in others.

That may sound harsh, or cruel, but it's reality.
It really sounds like none of those things. You know what it does sound like? Heavy handed and absolutely not needed in a introduction thread that then became a LIGHT HEARTED thread about kids. But, no, you decide to go on rant about how superior you are because you choose not to have kids. Really? Why'd you have to go there? Lighten up man.

/Edited

Last edited:
Your dad sounds cool, I would know I'm also a pilot. That explains a lot about what you've shown us to be interests. Also I still find it baffling how you drive a stock cx5.

17097356_10158262003310487_5601671722806293338_o.jpg
I alway thought Unobtanium is a cool guy and handles the situation well. He's knowledgeable on many areas and speaks his opinions honestly and straightforwards. Even though some people think he'll post strong opinions, but I believe it stirs up the interests of discussions otherwise it's a boring thread. :)

BTW Chris_Top_Her, can you tell me what jet it was in your previous avatar?

It really sounds like none of those things. You know what it does sound like? Heavy handed and absolutely not needed in a introduction thread that then became a LIGHT HEARTED thread about kids. But, no, you decide to go on rant about how superior you are because you choose not to have kids. Really? Why'd you have to go there? Lighten up man.

/Edited

Post #3 in the thread.
Project no kids. LMAO. Welcome to the club, brother.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Welcome, yourself. Sometimes reality is heavy handed.

My point is, why do you think it's superior to have more cash and disposable time on my hands than if I'd chosen to create and already over-burdening product to add to an overburdened society? People b**** about traffic. They complain about welfare/taxes/etc. Where does that COME FROM!? It's not dogs or cats...

Maybe it is a superior decision. I don't know. Maybe it's not. But it's one I'm quite proud of and pleased that I made.

Last edited:
I alway thought Unobtanium is a cool guy and handles the situation well. He's knowledgeable on many areas and speaks his opinions honestly and straightforwards. Even though some people think he'll post strong opinions, but I believe it stirs up the interests of discussions otherwise it's a boring thread. :)

BTW Chris_Top_Her, can you tell me what jet it was in your previous avatar?

Thanks!
I don't always handle things well though, and sometimes I put my foot in my mouth, but as I do that, I've learned more and more how NOT to do that. Part of my job is dealing with people who you don't bulls***. You don't pander to what they WANT to hear. You tell them straight-up the nasty, ugly truth, as nicely as you can. Sometimes it's nice to be able to tell someone something...and not have to varnish it.

I deleted a bit of my post, here, because I felt it probably would overwhelm some people on this forum. I don't think they are equipped to deal. Suffice it to say, offending someone on a car forum doesn't even rate, in my world, but I don't want to truly upset anyone, either, unnecessarily. I shield people from reality at work, and I'll go ahead and do it here, too, in some cases.

Accusations were made about "heavy handed", and I shared a bit of MY daily life that I considered "heavy handed", but I think it's a bit "heavy", TBH

Last edited:

I hope I'm wrong here but it looks like you're calling me drunk
..Because you misread my post.
Welcome to the Mazda Club.
Now we're name calling?
Ok... Putz!
LOL
I dunno man, I think you just kinda went on an anti kid rant there for no reason. A bit over the top imo. But whatever. I don't know you. I'm the newbie. Maybe you're not a putz. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I hope I'm wrong here but it looks like you're calling me drunk
..Because you misread my post.
Welcome to the Mazda Club.
Now we're name calling?
Ok... Putz!
LOL
I dunno man, I think you just kinda went on an anti kid rant there for no reason. A bit over the top imo. But whatever. I don't know you. I'm the newbie. Maybe you're not a putz. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I couldn't find the icon I wanted. It frustrated me. I was looking for something with a top-hat, but settled for "drinking the kool-aid", which also happened to be "drunk". As you will note, I was dissatisfied with that, and deleted the icon before this reply *timestamps*

Oh easy enough. A child is a piece of you, to love, nurture, raise and release. Key word being love, of course.

It's not that complicated.

And btw, I don't plan to tint my windows.

Oh easy enough. A child is a piece of you, to love, nurture, raise and release. Key word being love, of course.

It's not that complicated.

And btw, I don't plan to tint my windows.

That sounds very narcissistic when you put it that way. Window tint cuts down on how well others can see how attractive you are while driving, good call on not getting it. :p

Maybe.

What about the risk involved? Who's to say the child you have won't have some sort of disorder that will entail you or your spouse quitting your jobs to care for? You will NEVER see them grow-up and leave the house? They will be at your funerals, with the relatives that have now inherited their care...or as wards of the state, if their disease doesn't cause a premature death. And you will be on Facebook telling everyone how blessed you are to have a child that cost you your career, and will never advance beyond colorful picture-drawings, or celebrating the life-long goal of tying their own shoes?

That may sound harsh, or cruel, but it's reality. Many people have children like that, and it's something you have to be prepared to accept as a distinct possibility when you "decide to have kids".

Then there is the guy like my neighbor. Great guy. Has a company, makes plenty of money, raised 3 kids. Two of them are wonderful people, very successful, happy, well-balanced. The 3rd was always a piece of s***. Oh, he wasn't spoiled, either. His father even sent him to boot camp trying to correct his streak of worthlessness. Didn't work. He's doing 20 in state for shooting a guy over a drug deal gone bad. Spent a pretty penny keeping him out of the chair/life. What if that were his ONLY kid? I guess he could show off the baby photos and kindof not talk about the rest?

Then there is my Dad. He gave up his plane, his 'vette, his Harley, and was forced to see his X wife and act 100% normal for the sake of me, every other week-end as they passed me off. Then, I moved out, went to college, paid him back what he requested for helping me fund my college, and we are good friends. But really? I personally do not think that having me on the end of the phone as his personal advisor for all things medical and firearm related was worth the emotional and monetary costs he invested. I inquired as to this, and he disagreed and expressed that this was not the case, but he and I are also different people, so I respect his difference of opinion. Point being, "everything went right" for me. I moved out. I got a job where I never ask for money. I never once had him dragged into court over my wrongdoings. Etc. And I still do NOT think that the balance-beam made me a "good decision", personally.

YMMV, but I have the ability to step outside of myself and look at things from a null perspective, and I just do not get the point of having kids. Of course, some people love kids. IN that case, there are plenty without a home that are wards of the state that could use a good home. But you want YOUR kids. So much for the argument "you're just too selfish to have kids" that some people throw at me...

Wow! You're a real piece of work aren't you? We are all SO lucky to have you grace us with your presence here on this forum.

Oh, by the way. Not EVER having children is an excellent decision on your part...

Wow! You're a real piece of work aren't you? We are all SO lucky to have you grace us with your presence here on this forum.

Oh, by the way. Not EVER having children is an excellent decision on your part...

TL/DR version: GO AWAY BAD MAN WITH UNPLEASANT TRUTHS!

You don't like it...because it's unpleasant. You are possibly even offended...that someone would shove reality in your face and say "See, this is a possible result". You don't have the equanimity to say "Yes, you do present reality, but it's worth the risk to me, because it's my passion." All you can do is attack me for showing you the "other side" of what people get instead of their happy little storybook home-life. Well...oh, well. Your tag/signature line is...apt.

I respect that you probably don't have as firm a grasp on dealing with less desirable outcomes as I do. In fact, I just dealt with them last night (and no, it wasn't a special occasion, I assure you, lol). Assault, attempted suicide, etc. Poor parents. Anyway, I see what happens when "things don't go as planned". Many others, maybe (or maybe not) yourself, only witness it from a distance and quickly push it out of your mind. It's not so easy to do when you live with that child in your life. Forever. And I get to see (even still, a little window), the damage that this causes. It's not my passion, and it's not worth the risk.

The truth is, there are more people than the planet and infrastructure can comfortably support. We do not need more. Having a child does ONE THING...it pleases the parents (sometimes). That's it. That's all. We have enough unwanted people on this planet freezing in the streets, starving in the slums, and dying in the sewers, that I cannot humor any other argument.

YMMV. But I'll certainly consider any and all life advice you want to offer me. Especially given that you used your CAPS key to do it ;)

Last edited:
I think the issue here is "no one asked you". lol Look, man, we were all having fun, talking about kids and how rotten they can be, or how great it is to not have kids. No one said "Hey Unopbtanium, how do you feel about the subject?"

Instead of being fun and jovial, like we all were, you throw out that BS quote that's been shot down more then once ($466K for 2?) and then go on a near tirade about why you don't have kids, and yea, you kind of came off smarmy like you're doing it the right way. And we're all wrong and must be broke and can't afford stuff. (Generally, CX5 buyers are the most affluent of the CUV buyers was a stat I read today).
If you think anyone WITH kids never gave it a second thought that we could have kids with downs or something, that we haven't given that serious thought and genuinely feel for people that are in that situation... you have a bleak view of humanity, my friend. I promise you no decent parent has seen someone like that and forgot about it 2 minutes later. There but for the grace of God... And you do know there are tests that you can do to see if your child has issues and then abort if you so choose? We did not do that test. Please don't turn this into an abortion thread now? No one cares how you feel about that, either.

But again... not the point. I am not going to argue about kids with you and how I think you are so wrong on many points. I notice something you seem unable to do is concede a point. So, all I'm asking is: if we are just having some fun and talking and nicely ribbing each other... do you have to get all serious and annoying? You basically killed the thread. Thanks man. That's what I mean by heavy handed.
No one, even people who like you (lol), replied to your post to even discuss the talking points you made. Thread killer.

You do have me curious now what you do for a living though. Care to share?

Last edited:
Back