MSP no-start condition. Suspect factory installed security system...

nsand

:
03.5 MSP
03.5 MSP... Actually, it's the one in Murrays avatar pic. Not one like it - the exact one in the pic. I'm pretty sure the factory alarm system is fried (it was submerged in water). I need to either replace it with a new OEM alarm (not sure if it has to be paired with the ECU or not) or just remove the damn thing all together (my preference) to bypass the immobilizer. The problem is, I can't find any kind of documentation anywhere on how to do so. There's a thread on this board, here that mentions that the factory alarm system can be removed completely but the OP goes on to say:

There is a way to remove the alarm completely, however, this is a public forum and it would be stupid to tell people how.

While I don't entirely disagree with that statement, this car is now 15 years old - I don't think it's way up there on the 'car jacking priority list' anymore. Also it kind of flys in the face of the whole DIY philosophy.

So, could someone help me out? As far as I can tell this is the only thing keeping this car off the road. It has started (and I've driven it short distances) before - it runs great now that the engine is cleaned up and no longer water logged - but only starting 'sometimes' just isn't going to cut it. I've tried to re-pair the keyless entry remote (that actually seems to work just fine...) and tried putting the alarm in valet mode but none of those things keeps it from going off 30 seconds after one of the doors is opened. The 'secret black button' works fine to turn it off, and previously would allow the car to start. At any rate - just removing the thing would be my preference here. So if anyone has that information - if you're not comfortable posting it on the forum - if you could PM me the info, that would be fine - and I'd be grateful. Alternatively, if you know that the alarm does or doesn't need to be paired with the ECU, and/or you know where I can get an OEM replacement, I'd be grateful for that info as well.

Doing my best to get this MSP back on the road.

Thanks all.

03.5 MSP... Actually, it's the one in Murrays avatar pic. Not one like it - the exact one in the pic. I'm pretty sure the factory alarm system is fried (it was submerged in water). I need to either replace it with a new OEM alarm (not sure if it has to be paired with the ECU or not) or just remove the damn thing all together (my preference) to bypass the immobilizer. The problem is, I can't find any kind of documentation anywhere on how to do so. There's a thread on this board, here that mentions that the factory alarm system can be removed completely but the OP goes on to say:

While I don't entirely disagree with that statement, this car is now 15 years old - I don't think it's way up there on the 'car jacking priority list' anymore. Also it kind of flys in the face of the whole DIY philosophy.

So, could someone help me out? As far as I can tell this is the only thing keeping this car off the road. It has started (and I've driven it short distances) before - it runs great now that the engine is cleaned up and no longer water logged - but only starting 'sometimes' just isn't going to cut it. I've tried to re-pair the keyless entry remote (that actually seems to work just fine...) and tried putting the alarm in valet mode but none of those things keeps it from going off 30 seconds after one of the doors is opened. The 'secret black button' works fine to turn it off, and previously would allow the car to start. At any rate - just removing the thing would be my preference here. So if anyone has that information - if you're not comfortable posting it on the forum - if you could PM me the info, that would be fine - and I'd be grateful. Alternatively, if you know that the alarm does or doesn't need to be paired with the ECU, and/or you know where I can get an OEM replacement, I'd be grateful for that info as well.

Doing my best to get this MSP back on the road.

Thanks all.
PMed

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

You can try a new control unit from a part out, they should be readily available as not many people need them.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try your suggestion Zealous, if that doesn't work, I'll start looking for a part-out as per hornsfan's suggestion. I'll update the thread with results when I'm done.

Latest posts

Back