Need suggestion for pads/rotors

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
'14 CX-5 GT AWD, after 52k and (a pad change? don't quite remember, assumed dealer did it when doing 30k service), shop tells me that it's time to change all 4 rotors and pads, and a bleed is needed as brake fluid is halfway between max/min and a bit dark in color. pads have <4mm left, rotor has a noticeable rust lip formed already. The quote goes about $850 for all this, which I think is outrageous and I'm thinking about DIY this. What do you guys recommend as good replacement rotor/pads? I live in New England(think: road salt), car is used for commute and ski trips.

I never had good luck with aftermarket rotors, and I like the cold grip of stock pads.

I tried Centric rotors, and EBC pads...

I changed all my rotors to stoptech (basic, not drill ornslotted) and centric posiquet pads. I got them on sale from thm motorsport. I don't see the basic rotor on the website right now but they do have a sale going on for the other kits. If you look around you can surely find the "basic" stoptech rotor and it's a little cheaper
https://thmotorsports.com/stoptech/stoptech-axle-pack-street/93645002/i-2405914.aspx

Aslo the stoptechs are coated on the nok braking surface to reduce rust (unlike OEM)

I found it: $244 shipped for the front/rear set of basic oem replacement. Seems lik the pad is thicker too. ( i think thats even less than what I paid) https://thmotorsports.com/stoptech/stoptech-axle-pack-preferred/90645002/i-2402251.aspx

That's everything you need except caliper grease packet and for the rear, a $10 cube to turn the caliper. For the front you can just use a c clamp. ( i did them myself).

This exact one fits our rear caliper. Local sears may have it - http://m.sears.com/lisle-disc-brake...gclid=CPSEgIWpytICFZW1wAodLhALoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, how are they working for you?

I can get the same set for ~$230 shipped from rockauto, or I can get similar set by Wagner for $270 with maybe better pads(Wagner part# OEX1623/1624), wondering if you have any insight on those?

As for tools, local autozone has caliper tools on free loaner so I'm good there.

Seem fine to me. No squealing, no noticeable brake dust and I drive fast a lot and engage the awd alot so they seem to be very good for he price paid.

I haven't had to do brakes on my cx 5 yet but for the past 10 years I have used powerstop on pretty much everything I have driven or had to take care of so between my work trucks and personal vehicle I rack up about 100 a year of maintenance and I am very picky about the way my brakes are and how well they hold up under my driving style witch being a scca road racer at one time tends to be pretty hard on brakes. For thier drill rotors and good pads it's a little over 200 or so on rock auto.

quick update - got the Wagner rotor and Wagner oex pads. spent whole Sunday changing. Shop might be exaggerating the rotor wear a fair bit - I think all 4 rotors have some life left in them based on thickness, but I do see pretty significant uneven wear on the pads. Rotors needed some serious convincing to come off - a rubber mallet helped a lot.

I followed the pad break-in procedure from wagner(several times braking 30-0mph), and now I'm feeling a slight vibration when driving at around 70mph, mostly from seat, not from brake pedal. Any idea why? Is it simply a case of a bit more miles? (only driven like 70 miles after change)

quick update - got the Wagner rotor and Wagner oex pads. spent whole Sunday changing. Shop might be exaggerating the rotor wear a fair bit - I think all 4 rotors have some life left in them based on thickness, but I do see pretty significant uneven wear on the pads. Rotors needed some serious convincing to come off - a rubber mallet helped a lot.

I followed the pad break-in procedure from wagner(several times braking 30-0mph), and now I'm feeling a slight vibration when driving at around 70mph, mostly from seat, not from brake pedal. Any idea why? Is it simply a case of a bit more miles? (only driven like 70 miles after change)
How tight did you make the lug nuts?

Did you clean and grease the guide pins while you had everything apart? If the calipers are free to float they can cause some vibration because of the pressure on the pads and there for rotors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did you clean and grease the guide pins while you had everything apart? If the calipers are free to float they can cause some vibration because of the pressure on the pads and there for rotors.

I did. Could you elaborate this "free-to-float" idea?

I did. Could you elaborate this "free-to-float" idea?
I miss typed it is was supposed too read "are not free to float" if the caliper can't move freely it will hold one of pads against the rotor and also the pad it self can get stuck in it bracket as well.

I miss typed it is was supposed too read "are not free to float" if the caliper can't move freely it will hold one of pads against the rotor and also the pad it self can get stuck in it bracket as well.

I see. That happened last time and that's why I found my inner pads worn much more than outer pads. But I'm not completely sure I lubed it correctly - might have to re-lube it next time I change pads.

I installed EBC premium (blank) rotors for the front brakes on my Mazda6. I thought it was just me but the stock ones felt "heavier" than the EBC's. Anyways my take off feels more pronounced. Like I went with wheels 5lbs lighter or something. They are supposedly made in the UK or Europe and the quality to price ratio is great. Oh and they were 1/16 inch wider at the rotors than OEM rotors (unturned with 30k miles). I think I read somewhere they were designed lighter and to expel hot air better than OEM designs. I teamed them up with EBC's cheapest ceramic pads and braking is improved substantially. I didn't even change the rears yet which are at 4mm thin and needs to be changed soon.

I plan on getting the same setup for the CX-5 front/rear. $214.58 shipped no tax via Autoanything. I didn't even have to set up an Autoanything account...paid via PayPal. The package come shipped direct from EBC's Las Vegas warehouse (which is also where they drill their own rotors). That's $214.58 shipped no tax for 4 premium rotors (hub and rotor edges black coated), ceramic pads front and rear, new clips, grease.....delivered.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/ebc-brake-kits

More info on the rotors: https://ebcbrakes.com/product/premium-oe-rotors/

$850 is a relatively reasonable price. not outrageous, but not exactly a steal either.

use this to your advantage and shop around for good aftermarket stuff. the OEM brakes for these cars are not the best quality.

I never had good luck with aftermarket rotors, and I like the cold grip of stock pads.

I tried Centric rotors, and EBC pads...

it's mainly the pad the dictates stopping performance, not the rotor.

pads that need to warm up before they reach full braking potential are essentially higher performance. not necessary unless you are a spirited driver.

Pads: WAGNER QC1624/23 ThermoQuiet

Rotors: CENTRIC Premium Disc - painted.

Best combo IMO for cheap daily driver as CX5 is.

Back