Considering a CX-5. thoughts?

There was significant gas in my engine oil.

If you've been around this forum, you've read about it.

You're getting weird and defensive, mad because you think I'm talking down to your lil mazda. I am not. I am giving the OP what he asked for. I doubt you plan on keeping your mazda forever. Is that a safe assumption?

Plus, says you drive a 2016.5. Enjoy your baby. Come back and fill us in when it's 3, 5, 7, 10 years old. I'm very stubborn, as you can tell, and I'm very interested and curious to see how these skyactiv's hold up. It's a very cool and interesting concept for the car world. I'm very interested to see how the new engines work out, the ones with even higher compression and no spark plugs. Are those still happening?

I'd also like to hear from owners of first cx5's...2012 or 13's? When i looked at this forum a lot I kind of got the feeling a lot of folks leased their's, which makes tons of sense to me with this vehicle. I think that's primarily who they're made for, not necessarily the person who wants to keep a vehicle till he/it dies. That, or someone who has 2 vehicles and likes to tinker. I really enjoyed reading Chris-Top-Her's stuff here. I saw where he tore his engine apart and sold it piece by piece. OP should maybe pick his brain.

I don't see this auto bild report. I do see 2016 Auto Bild (wtf that is...I live in america, btw) named Hyandaui top quality award for 2016. Here's what they had to say...http://hyundai.sc/news/2016/12/hyundai-motor-scores-top-rank-auto-bilds-quality-report-2016

For the record OP did NOT say this was his last car?!?!? Rereads to make sure... yea, he didn't.

Someone did a while back, I DISTINCTLY remember it. Maybe there was confusion between threads, or maybe this user posted that in ANOTHER thread, I don't know, b ut I do recall someone saying that, and me saying something like "Dude...no. Get something NICE", more or less.

It's like "I'm going to die tomorrow...better buy some natty to get smashed on with the guys tonight!" No...just...really? Get something good...

You're getting weird and defensive, mad because you think I'm talking down to your lil mazda.

I feared this is where we were headed Mash. Lets just say when you start attacking the posters instead of their posts - you have already lost the argument.

Mazda does not recommend fluid changes.
I have 60K on my CX-5 and NO issues with carbon. IN fact, users here have pulled engines apart and seen no issues, I believe, with similar miles.

Your dealer fear-tactic'ed you into buying a bunch of s*** you didn't need, is what happened. Basically, you got nickel and dimed into paying 4-500% what you should have paid to keep the vehicle on the road.

Like I said, I have 60K miles on mine. NO trans fluid changes. NO injector cleanings or any of that nonsense. It runs the same as when I got it with 28K miles on it. Timed the 0-60 at 7.8, which is what it should be, roughly. It's performing strong. Just fine.

So you paid what, $350 per trans flush, every 30K? That's $700 I have saved. You paid how much for cleaning the engine every 15K? That's at LEAST $100, probably double that. So I've saved another $4-500.

In short, you spent $1200 I haven't, if you;d kept it for 60K miles like I have. That amounts to 13,500 miles of FREE GASOLINE at the 22.5mpg I average short/long/highway trips combined. Your dealer ripped out out of 13,500 paid-for gas miles.

Nothing broke on your car. Not a thing. Did it? If something broke, please, tell us. Because you have not said anything ever broke. Yet you paid a whole lot of money. For what? Because a service advisor contradicted Mazda and told you to? Your car came with a hand-book, did it not? But online reviews are stupid...

This isn't meshing, man.

I can get behind not wanting a cheap CUV to be the last car I have before I die, I can totally get behind that concept. but your rationale is a bit slanted. Especially when you dog CX5 resale and THEN recommend Audi...brother...really?

This stuff was not recommended me to me if I was keeping it 5 years, fyi. And your prices are way off. Trans drain and fill, not flush, 120 x 1. BG service 2 x 135. Total of $390 over 3 years. And I would do it again for that price, no question. Not if I'm planning to not keep the car.

The oil dilution was the kicker, and I still have not read anything saying that's normal. Quite the opposite. So, I could keep that well past warranty and hope it still runs like it did when it was basically new, or I could leave. I left.

idk audi at all, just throwing out brands you should check into. OP should check all of em. I would recommend toyota/lexus, especially based on OP's criteria.

I am in the market and have never considered the Mazda, until now.
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. It has been good over the time i have had it but now at age 60, i am looking for safety, something fun to drive, all the bells and whistles, and my last car.
I have viewed all the reviews until i am going nuts over all the words.
I have not yet driven one but have narrowed my choice down to this or the CRV.
Any thoughts, Good and Bad.
I know all cars have some issues but what does the CX-5 have?
Do i really need to have Android Auto or can i do without?

Nvm, def got this guy confused with OP...but the real OP was an even weirder circumstance, and i would give him the same advice. He has a subaru with 300k and he's thinking about going to mazda. Ok, man, but I think if i were you, Subaru would have earned my loyalty after 300k.

This stuff was not recommended me to me if I was keeping it 5 years, fyi. And your prices are way off. Trans drain and fill, not flush, 120 x 1. BG service 2 x 135. Total of $390 over 3 years. And I would do it again for that price, no question. Not if I'm planning to not keep the car.

The oil dilution was the kicker, and I still have not read anything saying that's normal. Quite the opposite. So, I could keep that well past warranty and hope it still runs like it did when it was basically new, or I could leave. I left.

idk audi at all, just throwing out brands you should check into. OP should check all of em. I would recommend toyota/lexus, especially based on OP's criteria.

Trans Drain and Fill for $120, huh?

Oh, man. Read up on the transmission in this vehicle. I think you'll be pretty mad.

Well don't tell that dude you think he's going to die soon! Lol

While I do think the Mazda would be a fine choice for this dude, I do have to agree with you that Subaru would earn my loyalty after that. Maybe a more upscale one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Trans Drain and Fill for $120, huh?

Oh, man. Read up on the transmission in this vehicle. I think you'll be pretty mad.

Man I'm mad all the time. LOL

lifetime fluid? Idk what you're referencing. I did read my manual. I do not believe in lifetime fluid. That sounds like a trap.

We're way off track, just as I predicted. I should have just said yes, I love my cx5 I def think you should get one and drive it till 300k, and also get one if you want it to be your last vehicle ever! It's so fun to drive!

Hey! UnOb!

Maybe if you ran a couple cans of Techron thru that raped rental unit you (over)paid for, you'd see better mileage!

:)

Considering a CX-5. thoughts?

⋯ but the requirements list was: < $30,000 total cost, leather seating, flat-fold rear seats (we have dogs), decent gas mileage, looks good, easy/fun to drive, reliable. She currently drives an 05 Mazda 3, which I have spent too much time and money maintaining.

So that leaves the CX-5. It definitely has the most upscale look of any other CUV, great value (we were thinking Touring trim with the Preferred Equipment package), is supposedly the most fun to drive of them all (she would care less about this, but me being more of a driving 'enthusiast,' it's an important part) and meets all of the must have requirements.
2017 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Equipment Package doesn't have leather seats, one of your "must have" requirements! (boom07)

It has pleather with faux suede, which for all intents and purposes, is considered leather seating on about 90% of cars and home goods produced today.

Last edited:
Back