Considering a CX-5. thoughts?

Mash - I don't diss folks with genuine gripe. But I diss two types of folks here:
1 who find it hard to believe that CX-5 can be a perfect car for many.
2 who don't know what the brand stands for and what value it brings. Did not research and blame CX-5 for it.

For me its been a good buy.
I sense your love for pickups. Any cuv smaller than cx7 Ford edge or Nissan Murano won't suit you.

Eh, I get the vibe that he thinks a mini-suv for 30k is stupid. I agree...but it's because he's displacing time. The suv fullsize is now a $45-55k item even for a Ford or Chevy , when loaded out. Not the 30k item he emotionally pictures it as. It's price has shot up in the last 5 years or so. But emotionslly, I bet he still feels it at 30k, so of course a cx5 for 30k feels like a rip.

Also solidity. He values that. The cx5 exudes floppy and cheap. Not bank vault and well fitted. It's also really light and still very safe.

Dude said he's buying his last car. That's what my advice is based around. A lot of people showed up to give him advice that doesn't really help.

Damn right I don't like CUVs. Not these new ones. CUVs aren't a new concept, Subaru, Honda, and Toyota made bulletproof ones for years. But these new cheaper made, higher priced CUV things made to satisfy govt emissions standards and replace mid/full busines$$ for manufacturers are not great. You can drop your 5" of ground clearance, which you don't need, and step down into a more solid sedan, for example.

And we're not talking new price points. Used opens up his options to just about anything. Get a Lexus with 100k, for example. Their RX line has been money for a long time now.

Just out of curiousuty, I checked cargurus fur used rx350...first one 2012 AWD 60k Miles....list $24k. You would be not smart to pay 20k for a cx5 with 20-40k miles.

Explore ALL your options. You can get a lot of used vehicles you may not think you can get.

I will be car shopping in a few months. The CX-5 is on my radar. Does anyone have any thoughts how this car would hold up with high mileage driving?

I currently drive an 09 Forester. I drive a lot. 35-40k per year. I have right at 300,000 on this 09. I have become a Subaru fan for several reasons--durability is a main one. Drawbacks to my car are--it's not very "plush" very utilitarian in the interior. I hope to have something a little more comfortable for my next car. I do love a slightly sporty handling vehicle and the CX-5 seems to have very good infotainment systems, which I also value.

Is the mazda all wheel drive system any good? Is the maintenance predictable and affordable?

If OP is driving 30-40k per year then he'd reach another 300k-400k within 10 years. I say keep his car, change engines if needs to, and try to reach 1 million miles :)

re posting here for Mash to read. I get it that paint thinness is bad but overall - you cant diss the Mazda for reliability:

Auto Bild in Germany did a comparison and found previous CX-5 Mazda to be the most reliable car built in last 15 years. 15 FIFTEEEN!
The year they tested CX5 they tested a Q3, after 100000 KM they took the cars apart - the Audi parts were worn out but the Mazda looked as if they had done half the miles. Wow everytime you learn something new about Mazda it reassures you. So proud of my decision.
They have tested the following to be flawless vehicles : 3 Mazdas, 1 Toyota and 3 BMWs, the CX-5 was 5 points away from being 4th flawless Mazda entry.

I still don't understand why Mash is giving this advice.

Im trying to give the OP some advice from my perspective. Someone who bought the cx5 for exactly the same reasons he is listing - fun to drive vehicle, with good mpg, that he plans on driving for a long time. I maintained the hell out of mine, took extra preventive care because I planned on keeping it 10+ years, but ultimately felt that was not a great decision.

WHY did you feel that was not a great decision???? You still have not told us. Is it falling apart? Are you spending money on repairs?

I'll tell you, but you'll just get mad because you are emotional and weird about your cx5, and because you've read reviews saying it's the most reliable vehicle in 15 years??? LOL. Believe that if you wish, the vehicle came out in what, 2012-13? It hasn't been out 5 years. Online reviews are some of the most worthless junk out there, imho.

Anyway, I had some carbon buildup early on - withing a year, before 20k. Mazda explained this was due to the direct injection, and that was just life with DI. Fine, cool. I really trusted and liked my service advisor, he was a good guy, and at the time he was looking at cx5 for his wife. This was when I was driving mine 60mi highway every day, so not many short, cold trips. Service asked me how long I planned to keep the vehicle as that would determine how I should maintain it. I just bought the thing and I wanted to keep it 10 years, at least. I'm not a car guy, don't want car payments, etc. OK, he strongly recommended fuel injection cleaning every 15k to fight engine buildup. I did the BG induction service at 20k, then at 35. Engine was responsive and felt amazing. I also changed trans oil at 30, rear diff same time. Car honestly felt better to me than when it was new. Just well broken in and responsive, the ride was more harsh, but understandable. That's when I discovered my oil was well above the full mark on my dipstick. I didn't like that, I didn't really know what that meant. Service was a little more mysterious about this. It wasn't a big deal to them, but that's also why they recommended 5k oil changes with fully sythetic...that oil is capable of 10k. OK, fine. I asked my guy what that meant for me say, 8-10 years down the road. He told me he didn't know. He also told me he's seen 2.5s at that shop with dead engines and transmissions before 60k. More than a few is what he told me. He said being this is a new vehicle, they just don't know. That's why he strongly advised me to do injection cleaning and keep my trans fluid fresh. Ok, cool. Not really what I had in mind when I purchased the car. Also, my commute changed drastically after 2.5 years, I was no longer doing 60mi highway daily. I decided, based on the maintenance costs, not so great resale value, the unproven engine/trans, and my new driving schedule, that I should trade this vehicle in while it was still worth 20k. So I did, and I feel I made the right decision for me. This was not a car I felt great about keeping for 10+ years, so that's why I'm advising OP to look at all his options if he's looking for a vehicle that will last him 10+ years, and one that he'll be very happy with.

Again, just compare the price to other vehicles. I was actually kind of shocked when I saw you could get a Rx350 with 60k listed at 24k, so you could take that puppy home today for 21-22k. A damn lexus CUV/midsize...idk what a RX is technically, it's a bit bigger than a cx5, true luxury vehicle that came before these little 4cyl copy cat CUVs every manufacturer makes because they have to meet govt standards....Anyway, yea. And if you don't need AWD + clearance, you can probably find some great, luxurious sedans for great prices, maybe even AWD sedans. Idk. I just know there are a ton of car options out there, so fully explore all those options. Audi's seem very popular and fun to drive. Explore what they have to offer used.

Don't just settle for a cx5 because you read it's fun to drive.

I tried the new small engine CUV craze, had fun, and learned a lot about the new car business in the process.

Well NO ONE should buy a CX-5 just because it's "fun to drive." There are plenty of cars out there that are "funner." But your options are limited when you WANT a small CUV that's also fun to drive. It's clear that a CUV isn't what you want or need.

OMG I'M SO ANGRY. lol
Give me a little credit, man.

Again, just compare the price to other vehicles. I was actually kind of shocked when I saw you could get a Rx350 with 60k listed at 24k, so you could take that puppy home today for 21-22k. A damn lexus CUV/midsize...idk what a RX is technically, it's a bit bigger than a cx5, true luxury vehicle that came before these little 4cyl copy cat CUVs every manufacturer makes because they have to meet govt standards....Anyway, yea. And if you don't need AWD + clearance, you can probably find some great, luxurious sedans for great prices, maybe even AWD sedans. Idk. I just know there are a ton of car options out there, so fully explore all those options. Audi's seem very popular and fun to drive. Explore what they have to offer used.

Yea, and then you're paying some serious premiums for repairs, don't forget.

Thanks for clarifying - I do agree on some of the points mentioned:
1. Dealer network - they are not too willing or eager to help it seems. A top rated Mazda dealer may rank mid for a Toyota or Honda.
2. Still newish cars.

But it boils down to your experience with one Dealer and this one service guy. I think he was trying to sell you service more than anything else.
Also if you think the RX running costs for a non car guy like you will be low - you will get introduced to reality pretty soon. A 10 year ownership of the Lexus will include some high mileage services - after that your running cost of the vehicle will be a significant chunk of that 24K. Also premium fuel is recommended - not a must but if you go with that - you are looking at 8-10K more in service and fuel costs over 10 years 120K miles. Thats some number compared to CX-5.

Again if you re read your answer - i do not see failures - I dont see engine failures Mazda did not fix, dont see any specific function failures or any switches, dont see any manufacturing defect that you were adamant needed fixing. I see someone selling you a lot of dealer services and no failures - just his opinion that "He doesnt know" in 10 years. I will take a national German magazine Bild over some even genuinely good intention mazda service rep.
Finally - if you had changed your oil every 7 K miles, re checked on his other recommendations for fuel injection and researched a bit - done the FI cleanup at 25K instead of 15K - maybe your car would have held up equally well. I know this is not a Toyota - that thing you can basically change oil for 10K miles and still no issues after 80K - Mazda may need a little more than a Toyota which is true.

Again - if i disagree with you without giving reason - sure thats wrong but I dont see the meat between the buns here.

No, it boils down to the product. Period.

I would love to read that German study thing if you don't care to link it. I just don't understand what you're talking about in regards to 15 years.

I know Lexus is not expensive to run. At all. It's a dressed up toyota. Family has had 3 of em, serviced at Toyota because there isn't a lexus dealer in town. Toyota is just a bad comparison, they are the exception.

however, this thread is about choosing your "last car", so OP is expecting to purchase a vehicle that will last him till he leaves this earth. That's not normal, you need to be a bit more picky if that's honestly what you're looking for. That's where Toyota comes in this discussion. You need a bulletproof vehicle. Something that is designed to take abuse, that's why you should not be looking at a new CUV, and if so, you should be leaning towards subaru, honda, and toyota. Manufacturers who really pioneered the small SUV.

I would love to read that German study thing if you don't care to link it. I just don't understand what you're talking about in regards to 15 years.

I know Lexus is not expensive to run. At all. It's a dressed up toyota. Family has had 3 of em, serviced at Toyota because there isn't a lexus dealer in town. Toyota is just a bad comparison, they are the exception.

however, this thread is about choosing your "last car", so OP is expecting to purchase a vehicle that will last him till he leaves this earth. That's not normal, you need to be a bit more picky if that's honestly what you're looking for. That's where Toyota comes in this discussion. You need a bulletproof vehicle. Something that is designed to take abuse, that's why you should not be looking at a new CUV, and if so, you should be leaning towards subaru, honda, and toyota. Manufacturers who really pioneered the small SUV.

Go to Google.com : try to search for German Bild + Mazda quality

There are many link - you can choose the publication you like or the website you like.

And I am still waiting to hear what was wrong with the product. Period.

Just out of curiousuty, I checked cargurus fur used rx350...first one 2012 AWD 60k Miles....list $24k. You would be not smart to pay 20k for a cx5 with 20-40k miles.

Explore ALL your options. You can get a lot of used vehicles you may not think you can get.
Except that the CX5 has bumper to bumper warranty remaining, and a used lexus is a gable. Because it's several years old. I had a friend who bought an RX350 (or 450?) that was about 4 years old. Got a good deal. LAter on discovered everything had corrosion damage that wasn't readily apparent. U-joints, drive-shaft, spark-plugs in the block, on and on. It was a basketcase and a nightmare that she lost money on and had to get out of.

Also, you can experiment this - try posting a new topic in the Lounge saying

" You need a bulletproof vehicle. Something that is designed to take abuse"

You need to say give me a vehicle that goes A to B, and has above two.
maximum forum users will point you to a --->> Toyota or Honda etc.

Bring in fun to drive, then the equation changes. I think both the posters mentioned they like something that drives nice. Hence are on Mazda forum.

For the record OP did NOT say this was his last car?!?!? Rereads to make sure... yea, he didn't.

There seems to be a lot of animosity towards the CX-5 from people who have "CX-5" listed as their vehicle. Why do you still own it?

My girlfriend will be in the market for a new car next year and we pretty much decided the CX-5 was the way to go (looking at used 16.5s at first), then I read about the '17 CX-5 a couple of months ago and it will for sure be the winner Of the CUVs available, it seems to be the best value, and also the best looking by a long shot. She doesn't make a lot of money and is still trying to settle into a career and we are by no means luxury shoppers, but the requirements list was: < $30,000 total cost, leather seating, flat-fold rear seats (we have dogs), decent gas mileage, looks good, easy/fun to drive, reliable. She currently drives an 05 Mazda 3, which I have spent too much time and money maintaining. The old Ford-era Mazdas are ungodly POS's in my opinion, and I own a Ford. The car will probably last another year before some major catastrophe befalls it. I did some research on the other usual suspect CUVs before coming to the conclusion on the CX-5 (immediately disregarded brands that I didn't bother looking at: Nissan, Toyota, GM, anything European)

I looked into the new Cherokee (cringe, Fiat) at first - as I own a Jeep now. But the Cherokee seems pretty lack-luster from the reviews. My brother has owned an XJ Cherokee since he was 15, so growing up around a 'real' Jeep there is a huge air of "you're not my son!" complex with these new Cherokees. The Honda CR-V looks like it has Honda's reputation to go with it, but wow is that one ugly vehicle. Honda shows almost no restraint with Japanese overstyling (just look at the new Civic Type-R), I just don't think I would be able to look at that in the driveway/garage every day. The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport admittedly looks pretty good, and seems of good value. But, it would retail around $31,000 for the options she'd want, the rear seats don't fold flat, and it gets abysmal gas mileage with what seems like a more archaic drivetrain. The Ford Escape seems to pack a lot of 'stuff' as do most Fords these days, but it just looks too tall and it's just cheap looking on the inside. I am a Ford fan by heart (Mustang, mostly) and will for sure order a 2018 Mustang once they open up the order banks, but I don't think I'd want 2 Fords, unless the second one was a certain 1968 fastback.

So that leaves the CX-5. It definitely has the most upscale look of any other CUV, great value (we were thinking Touring trim with the Preferred Equipment package), is supposedly the most fun to drive of them all (she would care less about this, but me being more of a driving 'enthusiast,' it's an important part) and meets all of the must have requirements. I know it's no Lexus, but honestly, if you are shopping for a CUV, you should have already come to the conclusion that it's not an end-all-be-all option. I think it's a perfect small family utility vehicle if you don't want to drive a large SUV, and don't want to compromise too much from the driving characteristics of a sedan. It's no Jeep, for sure, but it has its place. I'm excited to go test drive a 2017 CX-5, to be honest.

Last edited:
I'll tell you, but you'll just get mad because you are emotional and weird about your cx5, and because you've read reviews saying it's the most reliable vehicle in 15 years??? LOL. Believe that if you wish, the vehicle came out in what, 2012-13? It hasn't been out 5 years. Online reviews are some of the most worthless junk out there, imho.

Anyway, I had some carbon buildup early on - withing a year, before 20k. Mazda explained this was due to the direct injection, and that was just life with DI. Fine, cool. I really trusted and liked my service advisor, he was a good guy, and at the time he was looking at cx5 for his wife. This was when I was driving mine 60mi highway every day, so not many short, cold trips. Service asked me how long I planned to keep the vehicle as that would determine how I should maintain it. I just bought the thing and I wanted to keep it 10 years, at least. I'm not a car guy, don't want car payments, etc. OK, he strongly recommended fuel injection cleaning every 15k to fight engine buildup. I did the BG induction service at 20k, then at 35. Engine was responsive and felt amazing. I also changed trans oil at 30, rear diff same time. Car honestly felt better to me than when it was new. Just well broken in and responsive, the ride was more harsh, but understandable. That's when I discovered my oil was well above the full mark on my dipstick. I didn't like that, I didn't really know what that meant. Service was a little more mysterious about this. It wasn't a big deal to them, but that's also why they recommended 5k oil changes with fully sythetic...that oil is capable of 10k. OK, fine. I asked my guy what that meant for me say, 8-10 years down the road. He told me he didn't know. He also told me he's seen 2.5s at that shop with dead engines and transmissions before 60k. More than a few is what he told me. He said being this is a new vehicle, they just don't know. That's why he strongly advised me to do injection cleaning and keep my trans fluid fresh. Ok, cool. Not really what I had in mind when I purchased the car. Also, my commute changed drastically after 2.5 years, I was no longer doing 60mi highway daily. I decided, based on the maintenance costs, not so great resale value, the unproven engine/trans, and my new driving schedule, that I should trade this vehicle in while it was still worth 20k. So I did, and I feel I made the right decision for me. This was not a car I felt great about keeping for 10+ years, so that's why I'm advising OP to look at all his options if he's looking for a vehicle that will last him 10+ years, and one that he'll be very happy with.

Don't just settle for a cx5 because you read it's fun to drive.

I tried the new small engine CUV craze, had fun, and learned a lot about the new car business in the process.

Mazda does not recommend fluid changes.
I have 60K on my CX-5 and NO issues with carbon. IN fact, users here have pulled engines apart and seen no issues, I believe, with similar miles.

Your dealer fear-tactic'ed you into buying a bunch of s*** you didn't need, is what happened. Basically, you got nickel and dimed into paying 4-500% what you should have paid to keep the vehicle on the road.

Like I said, I have 60K miles on mine. NO trans fluid changes. NO injector cleanings or any of that nonsense. It runs the same as when I got it with 28K miles on it. Timed the 0-60 at 7.8, which is what it should be, roughly. It's performing strong. Just fine.

So you paid what, $350 per trans flush, every 30K? That's $700 I have saved. You paid how much for cleaning the engine every 15K? That's at LEAST $100, probably double that. So I've saved another $4-500.

In short, you spent $1200 I haven't, if you;d kept it for 60K miles like I have. That amounts to 13,500 miles of FREE GASOLINE at the 22.5mpg I average short/long/highway trips combined. Your dealer ripped out out of 13,500 paid-for gas miles.

Nothing broke on your car. Not a thing. Did it? If something broke, please, tell us. Because you have not said anything ever broke. Yet you paid a whole lot of money. For what? Because a service advisor contradicted Mazda and told you to? Your car came with a hand-book, did it not? But online reviews are stupid...

This isn't meshing, man.

I can get behind not wanting a cheap CUV to be the last car I have before I die, I can totally get behind that concept. but your rationale is a bit slanted. Especially when you dog CX5 resale and THEN recommend Audi...brother...really?

Mazda does not recommend fluid changes.
I have 60K on my CX-5 and NO issues with carbon. IN fact, users here have pulled engines apart and seen no issues, I believe, with similar miles.

Your dealer fear-tactic'ed you into buying a bunch of s*** you didn't need, is what happened. Basically, you got nickel and dimed into paying 4-500% what you should have paid to keep the vehicle on the road.

Like I said, I have 60K miles on mine. NO trans fluid changes. NO injector cleanings or any of that nonsense. It runs the same as when I got it with 28K miles on it. Timed the 0-60 at 7.8, which is what it should be, roughly. It's performing strong. Just fine.

So you paid what, $350 per trans flush, every 30K? That's $700 I have saved. You paid how much for cleaning the engine every 15K? That's at LEAST $100, probably double that. So I've saved another $4-500.

In short, you spent $1200 I haven't, if you;d kept it for 60K miles like I have. That amounts to 13,500 miles of FREE GASOLINE at the 22.5mpg I average short/long/highway trips combined. Your dealer ripped out out of 13,500 paid-for gas miles.

Nothing broke on your car. Not a thing. Did it? If something broke, please, tell us. Because you have not said anything ever broke. Yet you paid a whole lot of money. For what? Because a service advisor contradicted Mazda and told you to? Your car came with a hand-book, did it not? But online reviews are stupid...

This isn't meshing, man.

I can get behind not wanting a cheap CUV to be the last car I have before I die, I can totally get behind that concept. but your rationale is a bit slanted. Especially when you dog CX5 resale and THEN recommend Audi...brother...really?

Slow clap !!(dance)

There seems to be a lot of animosity towards the CX-5 from people who have "CX-5" listed as their vehicle. Why do you still own it?
Because it's cheap, disposable, and effective. I'll keep it until it costs more than the note on another vehicle to maintain it.

My girlfriend will be in the market for a new car next year and we pretty much decided the CX-5 was the way to go (looking at used 16.5s at first), then I read about the '17 CX-5 a couple of months ago and it will for sure be the winner Of the CUVs available, it seems to be the best value, and also the best looking by a long shot. She doesn't make a lot of money and is still trying to settle into a career and we are by no means luxury shoppers, but the requirements list was: < $30,000 total cost, leather seating, flat-fold rear seats (we have dogs), decent gas mileage, looks good, easy/fun to drive, reliable. She currently drives an 05 Mazda 3, which I have spent too much time and money maintaining. The old Ford-era Mazdas are ungodly POS's in my opinion, and I own a Ford. The car will probably last another year before some major catastrophe befalls it. I did some research on the other usual suspect CUVs before coming to the conclusion on the CX-5 (immediately disregarded brands that I didn't bother looking at: Nissan, Toyota, GM, anything European)

I looked into the new Cherokee (cringe, Fiat) at first - as I own a Jeep now. But the Cherokee seems pretty lack-luster from the reviews. My brother has owned an XJ Cherokee since he was 15, so growing up around a 'real' Jeep there is a huge air of "you're not my son!" complex with these new Cherokees. The new Cherokee is NOTHING like the straight 6 4.0 powered legend your brother has.The Honda CR-V looks like it has Honda's reputation to go with it, but wow is that one ugly vehicle. Honda shows almost no restraint with Japanese overstyling (just look at the new Civic Type-R), I just don't think I would be able to look at that in the driveway/garage every day. The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport admittedly looks pretty good, and seems of good value. But, it would retail around $31,000 for the options she'd want, the rear seats don't fold flat, and it gets abysmal gas mileage with what seems like a more archaic drivetrain. The Ford Escape seems to pack a lot of 'stuff' as do most Fords these days, but it just looks too tall and it's just cheap looking on the inside. I am a Ford fan by heart (Mustang, mostly) and will for sure order a 2018 Mustang once they open up the order banks, but I don't think I'd want 2 Fords, unless the second one was a certain 1968 fastback.

So that leaves the CX-5. It definitely has the most upscale look of any other CUV, great value (we were thinking Touring trim with the Preferred Equipment package), is supposedly the most fun to drive of them all (she would care less about this, but me being more of a driving 'enthusiast,' it's an important part) and meets all of the must have requirements. I know it's no Lexus, but honestly, if you are shopping for a CUV, you should have already come to the conclusion that it's not an end-all-be-all option. THIS is what I have issue with on this forum. It's a cheap vehicle that does a lot of things decently. It has some cool technology. It's not the top of the line vehicle in the parkinglot, though, by a long shot. Nor is it a race-car, no-matter whenther you get a tuner to make a crappy 184bhp into a slightly less crappy 220bhp, or put lowering springs on it. It is...what it is, and you have summed up...what it is! I think it's a perfect small family utility vehicle if you don't want to drive a large SUV, and don't want to compromise too much from the driving characteristics of a sedan. It's no Jeep, for sure, but it has its place. I'm excited to go test drive a 2017 CX-5, to be honest.
REplies in red.

Back