Considering a CX-5. thoughts?

It does. i am planning on this weekend to do just that. Of course depending on which site, the Honda is rated #1 and the Mazda is #2. But everybody in all sites say the driving of the CX5 is well above the Honda or any other car.

Another question to all. Has anybody thought about purchasing a car that is 'Branded'? Prices are really low but no warranties go along, you can always purchase warranties. But am curious about them.

ddweb, first of all I am jelly you stay in a beautiful state. I dont know what Branded means?
If you buy new you get 3 yrs 36K bumper to bumper and 5 yrs 60K miles drivetrain.
If you buy used, those warranties carry over.
If you buy certified - manufacturer adds more drive train - usually 7 year 100K from the DATE OF SALE - not manufacturing but sale

Back to your question - we have had a huge argument about CRV vs CX-5. 17 CRV has a CVT which auto enthusiasts wont go for even if Honda discounted it by half - its like a pastor sleeping with a million hookers if you know what I mean - its taboo, infact we may introduce a $5 fine soon for members who even post "CVT" on this forum.

Having said that - CRV is a more well rounded vehicle - with a little bit extra for all passengers, Mazda is for the driver first and does a good job and is well equipped.
Mazda >> CX 5 if you want All wheel drive - no debate.
MPG - jury is not out but early reports show CRV is 2 to 3 mpg under the Mazda for some driving styles, for less aggressive it is going to get more mpg especially on highways.

It is hard for people to appreciate Mazda because on paper CRV looks great, I recommend you test drive it. If your usage will be 70% or more single occupant the case for Mazda gets stronger.
Don't confuse CX-5 with fastest straight line speed - it is not, it will however carve mountain roads better than CRV / Rav4 etc.

good luck.

It does. i am planning on this weekend to do just that. .
Unless I missed something I don't think the 2017's are out in the wild yet.
I guess you can drive a 2016.5 just to get a feel for it but the 2017 is completely refreshed so you'll want to drive that as well if you're considering buying new.

Let us know how the two compare, it's always great reading actual feedback from potential buyers and not just professional review sites.

Unless I missed something I don't think the 2017's are out in the wild yet.
I guess you can drive a 2016.5 just to get a feel for it but the 2017 is completely refreshed so you'll want to drive that as well if you're considering buying new.

Let us know how the two compare, it's always great reading actual feedback from potential buyers and not just professional review sites.

Yeah the 2017's would feel different imho. It has a more sturdier and possible lighter frame, more sound deadening, longer, and shorter. Wider. The spring rates are unkown if they are the same. Turning radius is unkown. I thought the seats are to be designed differently. Gearing ratios.

I am leaning towards the CX5 without driving either at this moment. I like the reviews of driving. I want the feel and warmth of a nice driving car.
I am also leaning towards a Used, weather it is Certified or not, just reducing the price by $8 to $10k is a big advantage for the pocket book.
I have read about the 2017 CX5 and from what i read it is not out yet. I read an article that said the 2017 will not come out but the next CX5 will be the 2018 in mid-2017.
'Branded' is a salvaged title. Only the dealer that purchased the auto and fixed it up as new can say what was wrong with it when they purchased it. From the ones i see are very low mileage, like 5-1000 miles on it. The dealer here will tell you what the issue was surrounding the Branding of the car and what was fixed. Thru them you can purchase a warranty from 2-5k, depending on years you want the warranty.
I want the Grand Touring with everything it can have on it. at my age, i want the car to last and keep me in the lanes.
Yes, Denver Colorado is a wonderful place to live. Have been here for 20 yrs now.
thanks for your opinions

I am leaning towards the CX5 without driving either at this moment. I like the reviews of driving. I want the feel and warmth of a nice driving car.
I am also leaning towards a Used, weather it is Certified or not, just reducing the price by $8 to $10k is a big advantage for the pocket book.
Your best bet is a 2015 with 40K miles or under.

I have read about the 2017 CX5 and from what i read it is not out yet. I read an article that said the 2017 will not come out but the next CX5 will be the 2018 in mid-2017.
2017 will be out end of march.

'Branded' is a salvaged title. Only the dealer that purchased the auto and fixed it up as new can say what was wrong with it when they purchased it. From the ones i see are very low mileage, like 5-1000 miles on it. The dealer here will tell you what the issue was surrounding the Branding of the car and what was fixed. Thru them you can purchase a warranty from 2-5k, depending on years you want the warranty.
I see what you are saying - only 2016s under 20K on autotrader are from Colorado. This can be great or a risk - no idea on it.

I want the Grand Touring with everything it can have on it. at my age, i want the car to last and keep me in the lanes.
Yes, Denver Colorado is a wonderful place to live. Have been here for 20 yrs now.
thanks for your opinions
Now that i think of it Colorado is CX-5s home turf. It is suited for hwys like CO 115 with the twists and curves.

thanks for your opinions

Are you planning on purchasing Full Coverage insurance? If so you have to find a company willing to insure a salvaged title car. Also too is that their premiums may run higher.

Branded is a gamble. I look at it at say: $23000 for car, then up to $5000 for warranty bringing up to $28000. I have Geico and they say we can get any level of insurance we want, they just need the paperwork explaining what was done and the 151 point check. So i weigh this amt with getting a car with a little more mileage and not salvaged.
I know at some dealers, once you agree to purchase, you go to the next final level and another sales guy will sell you add'l stuff like additional insurance. My wife and i did that on a 2015 Dodge Journey she loved.
I think this is a good place for AWD SUVs and that is what i am looking at and desire.
I will most likely Not get the Branded car unless what i am looking at is much higher.
As the 2017, i read about them and it sounds wonderful but prices i have seen teeter around $34k with all the bells and whistles. Yikes...

Run far away. You said you plan on keeping this car as long as you can. Don't.

You will not keep it forever, and resale is crap. Don't even think about a salvaged one.

Take that money you're thinking of spending on this cx5 and compare it to all other new/used vehicles in that price range.

You've fallen in love with s car you don't know much about. A car with very young and unproven drivetrain. Slow down.

It you were leasing it, I'd tell you to go for it.

And idk how much you're thinking about paying...2015 GT fully equipped with 40k, don't spend more than 22-24k...and that's still a bad decision for this vehicle. Just don't. These cars are not cheap, and you can get more value elsewhere, imho.

Maintenance ain't cheap on these things either. Maybe look at higher mileage proven luxury brands. Idk how much Audi or Lexus crossovers go for, but just entertain some more options and don't get sucked in to the Mazda.

Im only saying these things because I bought one thinking similar thoughts as you, and hindsight is 20/20. Spending this much on a car is a big decision, and I wish I would have thought about it more. Just slow down and think of what other vehicles you can get for the price of this cx5.

Wow. Not had a good experience?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Huh. I thought a CX-5 was quite reasonable, if not cheap, for what you're getting. At least if you're looking for a CUV. But what the hell do I know?

I just got my cx-5 a few days ago. I don't have any regrets. I have a 2016 GT AWD. I regretted thinking about buying another car bc I don't want to pay for it. If you're buying cash, don't. Finance it and use your cash on the market with a good stable return. 25k gone vs financed 25k @ 2.5% with your cash invested in a stock market fund @ a stable 7%. The left over interest should pay for depreciation if you're going to resell.

Run far away. You said you plan on keeping this car as long as you can. Don't.

You will not keep it forever, and resale is crap. Don't even think about a salvaged one.

Take that money you're thinking of spending on this cx5 and compare it to all other new/used vehicles in that price range.

You've fallen in love with s car you don't know much about. A car with very young and unproven drivetrain. Slow down.

It you were leasing it, I'd tell you to go for it.

And idk how much you're thinking about paying...2015 GT fully equipped with 40k, don't spend more than 22-24k...and that's still a bad decision for this vehicle. Just don't. These cars are not cheap, and you can get more value elsewhere, imho.

Maintenance ain't cheap on these things either. Maybe look at higher mileage proven luxury brands. Idk how much Audi or Lexus crossovers go for, but just entertain some more options and don't get sucked in to the Mazda.

Im only saying these things because I bought one thinking similar thoughts as you, and hindsight is 20/20. Spending this much on a car is a big decision, and I wish I would have thought about it more. Just slow down and think of what other vehicles you can get for the price of this cx5.

Maybe for a new Mazda I'd agree, but a lightly used CX-5 is pretty cheap for the driveline/safety/reliability/AWD system you are getting, IMO. I have about 60K on my former rental, now (2015 Touring AWD 2.5) and it's done okay.

It's a small, tin can, 4cyl car with AWD.

Which is not much different than any of the trendy CUVs. I'm just not a fan of the value of the CUVs and how they've replaced more traditional SUVs at a similar price point. Its not good for the consumer from a value perceptive.

After owning a cx5 for 2.5 years, I don't feel like it's the best choice in the CUV class. I think brands like Honda, Subaru, and Toyota would be a wiser choice...especially if you're looking to buy your "last car". I would recommend a truck if that's really what you're looking for - a vehicle to last you decades.

I loved my cx5 just like all y'all. I just wish I would have leased it for 2 years. My main concern was reliability. I didn't want to see that vehicle at 10 years old. Things that annoyed me within 1 year were paint and how easily it chipped, the thin exterior and interior materials, the slight hood shake, rattles, the faux leather interior accents wearing away, the unforgiving ride.

Things I liked: it's sexy looks, man is it sexy. Best in class by far, imo. The way the transmission was tuned. Man it was fun to drive.

Im trying to give the OP some advice from my perspective. Someone who bought the cx5 for exactly the same reasons he is listing - fun to drive vehicle, with good mpg, that he plans on driving for a long time. I maintened the hell out of mine, took extra preventive care because I planned on keeping it 10+ years, but ultimately felt that was not a great decision.

I also didn't like this forum. People get weird if you diss this car. I'm just being honest, and if you've read this forum, you're familiar with the issues people have reported from drivetrain to the stupid infotainment. And if you have a good service department, they'll tell you about issues they've seen.

Don't make a quick decision. This could be your last car.

And nobody on this forum will truly be able to answer the long term reliability question because it's a brand new vehicle. Of course most of them have been "okay", they're not even 5 years old. But there have been documented oil dilution issues on this forum,, and mazda is redesigning the engine for 2019, correct?

The CX5 certainly has it's negatives just like any other car. I think the CX5 just excels at being a vehicle for someone who appreciates sporty looks and handling all while still needing CUV space and a really good AWD system. If I had already had my mustang gt 5.0(or any fun sports car) and was looking to get a CUV to last me for 10+ years, I probably would be looking more Honda or Toyota. When I bought my CX5, having two cars wasn't an option. So the CX5 seemed like a great compromise. And so far for the most part, it has been. If I was buying today though, I would 100% be looking at the new CRV and the Tucuson while comparing them to the CX5.

I will be car shopping in a few months. The CX-5 is on my radar. Does anyone have any thoughts how this car would hold up with high mileage driving?

I currently drive an 09 Forester. I drive a lot. 35-40k per year. I have right at 300,000 on this 09. I have become a Subaru fan for several reasons--durability is a main one. Drawbacks to my car are--it's not very "plush" very utilitarian in the interior. I hope to have something a little more comfortable for my next car. I do love a slightly sporty handling vehicle and the CX-5 seems to have very good infotainment systems, which I also value.

Is the mazda all wheel drive system any good? Is the maintenance predictable and affordable?

Have you considered the Subaru Outback since you like Subaru? It's a real step up from the Forester. The top of the line model (I think it's the Touring model) has a very plush interior and they have a very nice brown leather available with some colors.

Mash - I don't diss folks with genuine gripe. But I diss two types of folks here:
1 who find it hard to believe that CX-5 can be a perfect car for many.
2 who don't know what the brand stands for and what value it brings. Did not research and blame CX-5 for it.

For me its been a good buy.
I sense your love for pickups. Any cuv smaller than cx7 Ford edge or Nissan Murano won't suit you.

Back