Considering a CX-5. thoughts?

No live traffic
Tiny screen
Cludgy interface

Go try UConnect if you want to see a nice infotainment/vehicle systems management interface in a non-luxury brand.

Subaru and Mazda are who I was referring to. Nissan is so-so, but Sub/Maz really need to step out of the 90's...I mean, needing to tether my phone for the radio? Really? That's almost as bad as recording songs off the radio at hone onto a cassette for the car, lol

In other words if someone wants a good infotainment system as a high priority you are recommending folks to go buy a (Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT , Jeep & Ram)?

Yea, you gotta take what this dude says with a grain of salt. He hates his car. LOL
I have tried uConnect. It sucks. MUCH rather have the Mazda infotainment.

I've had both, as well as Nissan. I'll take U Connect.

YMMV obviously. No, I don't hate my CX-5. It's great for what I bought it for: Basic reliable transportation with minimal frills. Infotainment is a frill. I did kindof expect it to have satellite radio as a TOURING model though, lol

In other words if someone wants a good infotainment system as a high priority you are recommending folks to go buy a (Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT , Jeep & Ram)?

I'm saying UConnect is a good infotainment system, especially compared to whatever Mazda calls this. If Fiat can do it, there is no excuse.

Agreed. I don't stare at my touchscreen when I am driving.

I guess maybe if I had the NAV, but I don't, so the size doesn't matter to me.

You use it to manage vehicle functions and read-outs as well. It's not JUST to pick your playlist from. Also, you watch DVD's on it, etc. Or at least, that's what you did with Jeep and Nissan's infotainment system when you were bored and stuck in gridlock traffic or something.

Bro, you really gotta learn to multi quote. LOL. I test drove that Jeep. My mom then bought one. The reviewers said it had the best infotainment. They say Mazdas are average. This is what's great about us...We all have different tastes. I hated the Jeep's. Actually despised it. The screen is too freaking big. I could barely reach the far side of it. I love the Mazdas. It's a little slow when it first boots...And you can't actually use it while driving, unlike Jeep...but the commander knob makes it so you don't need to touch it. Love love love.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bro, you really gotta learn to multi quote. LOL. I test drove that Jeep. My mom then bought one. The reviewers said it had the best infotainment. They say Mazdas are average. This is what's great about us...We all have different tastes. I hated the Jeep's. Actually despised it. The screen is too freaking big. I could barely reach the far side of it. I love the Mazdas. It's a little slow when it first boots...And you can't actually use it while driving, unlike Jeep...but the commander knob makes it so you don't need to touch it. Love love love.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's a helluva endorsement for the size of their screen! lol

When I traded my 2012 370Z for a 2010 JGC, I was really iffy on that UConnect. I missed my live color weather radar. But have you ever ridden in a UConnect vehicle during rush hour? That thing will direct you like a BOSS! I mean, it is nearly telepathic with regards to routing you around congestion, wrecks, etc. I quickly forgot my weather radar. I know that's just 1 minor aspect, but it blew my mind. It also was very sensible about when to suggest lane changes, and didn't OVER state directions, while still getting the point across. The only NAV system I like better is the high end Audi stuff that uses Google Street Images to project a picture of your actual location from street-view for you to verify/get your bearings with, when you hit intersections, etc. The Jeep just zoomed in on infrastructure (roads, etc.) on the screen. That worked too, but not like actually SEEING the store you're trying to get to on the NAV!

Almost 68k miles on mine, had trans replaced @ 32k (needlessly in my opinion), had a belt tensioner replaced a few thousand miles ago. Otherwise, been relatively problem free. FWD model. I put on over 350 hard miles a week. Average 28 to 31 mpg.

Almost 68k miles on mine, had trans replaced @ 32k (needlessly in my opinion), had a belt tensioner replaced a few thousand miles ago. Otherwise, been relatively problem free. FWD model. I put on over 350 hard miles a week. Average 28 to 31 mpg.

That is mighty impressive. I really dont think any other CUV in 2014 FWD would hit 30 mpg.

You use it to manage vehicle functions and read-outs as well. It's not JUST to pick your playlist from. Also, you watch DVD's on it, etc. Or at least, that's what you did with Jeep and Nissan's infotainment system when you were bored and stuck in gridlock traffic or something.

Watch DVD's? I'm driving. Grid-lock or no.

Reading readouts? I'm driving.

Vehicle functions. Am I really changing my light and lock setting while I'm driving? No.

I don't really understand your point and I guess we're looking for different things out of a vehicle.

Honestly, I test drove vehicles with bigger touchscreens and I found them obtrusive, offensive, and distracting.

Last edited:
Slydog these are my recommendations:
1 17 cx-5.
2. 16.5 cx-5 (great discounts)
3. Rav4 formidable and reliable.
4. Rav4 hybrid - if these are as reliable as Priuses then you recoup the premium and then some.
5. 17 Ford Kuga (ford puts so much cash on hood it's hard to ignore. Get the base 2.5 instead of turbos)
6. Subaru (that resale)
7. 2017 CR-V best in class soccer mom family of four barn house. Though chrome trim sellers on eBay may curse you since the CR-V is covered in chrome and hurts their business- Honda is second only to Subaru in resale.

If i hated you i would have recommend a Kia Hyundai or Nissan.

Definitely agree with that

I'm saying UConnect is a good infotainment system, especially compared to whatever Mazda calls this. If Fiat can do it, there is no excuse.

Mazda can but chose not to. A small company like Mazda chose to invest in suspension engineering or building the Skyactiv platform from scratch. A much harder accomplishment than buying licensing to use Apple Carplay.

On the flip side.

Mazda does not have low tier reliability. If Mazda can do it there's no excuse FIAT can't too. If the FIAT group spent more money on raising their reliability metrics then it would likely eat away from other investments such as UConnect. All cars will have deficiencies based on budget. As consumers we decide for ourselves on which strengths/deficiencies matter to us.

Mazda can but chose not to. A small company like Mazda chose to invest in suspension engineering or building the Skyactiv platform from scratch. A much harder accomplishment than buying licensing to use Apple Carplay.

On the flip side.

Mazda does not have low tier reliability. If Mazda can do it there's no excuse FIAT can't too. If the FIAT group spent more money on raising their reliability metrics then it would likely eat away from other investments such as UConnect. All cars will have deficiencies based on budget. As consumers we decide for ourselves on which strengths/deficiencies matter to us.

Damn right, and that's why I drive a Mazda and sold my JGC. That's what mattered to me: Cheap and effective. The CX5 has that in spades, both up front, and after the purchase.

On the flip side.

+1. If you like bells and whistles then buy a Hyundai. They like to load up all that electronic gizardry, but their engines/transmissions/warranty service absolutely suck.

Damn right, and that's why I drive a Mazda and sold my JGC. That's what mattered to me: Cheap and effective. The CX5 has that in spades, both up front, and after the purchase.

+1. If you like bells and whistles then buy a Hyundai. They like to load up all that electronic gizardry, but their engines/transmissions/warranty service absolutely suck.

worldpeace.gif

What type of modifications would you be doing to the car? I'd say there are at least the same if not more available compared to your subie.

I am in the market and have never considered the Mazda, until now.
I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. It has been good over the time i have had it but now at age 60, i am looking for safety, something fun to drive, all the bells and whistles, and my last car.
I have viewed all the reviews until i am going nuts over all the words.
I have not yet driven one but have narrowed my choice down to this or the CRV.
Any thoughts, Good and Bad.
I know all cars have some issues but what does the CX-5 have?
Do i really need to have Android Auto or can i do without?

hey ddwebb, I think you're in a similar boat to a lot of other people out there: In need of a new car and new to the Mazda brand but something has you looking at the CX-5. So in that regard, welcome!

you'll find A LOT (and I mean a LOT) of comparisons here to the CR-V so you should read up on those but at the end of the day buying a car is a very personal decision and one that only you can answer.
Ask yourself:
- What am I looking for in a car? What's of the most important to me? (mpg? comfort? styling? driving characteristics?)

then go out and just DRIVE them.
I can never TELL my friends why I love mazdas so much but usually after they drive one, they begin to understand.

hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back