Considering a CX-5. thoughts?

slydog39

:
Subaru Forester
I will be car shopping in a few months. The CX-5 is on my radar. Does anyone have any thoughts how this car would hold up with high mileage driving?

I currently drive an 09 Forester. I drive a lot. 35-40k per year. I have right at 300,000 on this 09. I have become a Subaru fan for several reasons--durability is a main one. Drawbacks to my car are--it's not very "plush" very utilitarian in the interior. I hope to have something a little more comfortable for my next car. I do love a slightly sporty handling vehicle and the CX-5 seems to have very good infotainment systems, which I also value.

Is the mazda all wheel drive system any good? Is the maintenance predictable and affordable?

I think we do have 2013 owners with 60K miles or more - but since you are doing a lot of highway (assumption) - CX-5 will not be a perfect car because
1. MPG will suffer - think 27 or so.
2. Wind noise

CX5 is one of the best handling CUVs - in its segment and the next (upto 45K USD). Its Transmission is rated again as the best in its segment + next.
Info systems are more mature, driver friendly and 17 will have HUD - better for focusing on road. No live traffic and no Android Auto.

A sedan would be a better choice, but if you are buying for dual purpose or need cargo - consider the above points. Also it seems Rav4 should be in the mix as well. I will steer clear of the new CRV since turbo & high mileage dont go that well and its a new drivetrain.

I have close to 80K on my 2014 CX-5 GT AWD and it is going strong. If you like a sporty fun drive, the CX-5 could be for you. I don't know much about the more recent CX-5's but the 2014 infotainment system is basic.

Lots of data on Fuelly regarding gas mileage - don't listen to the num-nuts on these boards who will tell you what mileage they get.

I have had a Subaru and have spent lots of time in a forester (father in law). The Mazda's ride is more refined and will be smoother and less rattling than the Forester.

Last edited:
With that many miles driven, you may want to consider waiting for the diesel.

I will be car shopping in a few months. The CX-5 is on my radar. Does anyone have any thoughts how this car would hold up with high mileage driving?

I currently drive an 09 Forester. I drive a lot. 35-40k per year. I have right at 300,000 on this 09. I have become a Subaru fan for several reasons--durability is a main one. Drawbacks to my car are--it's not very "plush" very utilitarian in the interior. I hope to have something a little more comfortable for my next car. I do love a slightly sporty handling vehicle and the CX-5 seems to have very good infotainment systems, which I also value.

Is the mazda all wheel drive system any good? Is the maintenance predictable and affordable?

The AWD system is very good.
The infotainment is typical Japanese trash. Get something else if that matters to you.
Maintenance is cheap and boring, even on the AWD models.
The CX5 ride is less compliant than most vehicles in this class from what I hear and have ridden in/driven, and does feel sporty for what it is.
If you drive on the highway with the AWD model, expect 25-28mpg on average, not 29 or 30, unless you hate life and everyone around you and like trolling for wrecks at 60.

Noone really knows how they do with 300K on the odomoeter, but been on this forum a year or two now, and I have yet to see any "Well, it's 80K miles, time for XXXX to die" type posts.

My CX-5 is 4 years old now and only barely hitting 42k miles, so couldn't tell you. I can say that so far all I've had to do are the regular oil changes and tire rotations. The oil changes have been free from the dealer, and the tire rotations are like $20? It's been 4 years and only now has my windshield cracked (tons of rocks flying out of the back of a snowplow even though I was really far behind it, still got me). It's Colorado so it's stupid to replace it until snow is done.

The infotainment system is pretty basic on mine (base 2014 Touring). But I don't really care about all the gadgets and phone stuff. I'll throw on the AM or FM radio or do some Pandora. The newer CX-5's have better more featured systems from what I've seen.

The drive is FUN. There's not a time I don't walk up to my CX-5, think it's a damn good looking car, start driving it and relish throwing it into every corner and turn on the road. It's just so much fun to drive. The acceleration is fantastic (I have a bit of a lead foot when stopped at red-lights and it turns green). The handling is just great. It's not a smooth ride, you feel the road, but with the handling, its a FUN ride.

The AWD system is excellent. I observe I tend to be one of the faster moving vehicles in snowstorms, and have never really had any problems and that's not even with winter tires. That's included plenty of snow here in Colorado and in the mountains, and a road trip back in January that included heavy snows west of Reno and in Wyoming.

Now the wind-noise is a bit on the higher side, but I don't really notice or care.

The interior has more plastic than I'd like, but it all still looks pretty good 4 years later. Some have mentioned gaps forming between interior trim pieces. I have not noticed any gaps whatsoever on mine.

Some think the seats are hard and uncomfortable. I disagree, I like them, but I don't like cushy seats.

So a lot of this is going to be subjective. I recommend just test driving one and seeing what you think.

Last edited:
I agree with the man from Colorado. I haven't had mine long - just a little over a month - but I'll sing its subjective praises: nice, firm, sporty ride, but yeah, you can feel the road and it's a bit noisy. But I like to feel the road when I'm driving, I hate a squishy ride, and I just turn up the stereo when it gets too loud. I don't use the nav much, but otherwise I love the infotainment system. The control knob in the center is great. I personally think the Bose stereo sounds terrific, though others will disagree. The 2017 should sound even better with its dedicated tweeters. When test-driving pay attention to the seats. I find them very comfortable, but others (including my wife) disagree. Again, the 2017 model promises improved seat comfort.

The infotainment is typical Japanese trash. Get something else if that matters to you.

Can you elaborate on this statement. The only issue I have with the infotainment system is the lack of live traffic on the nav. I love the minimalist design and the commander and volume knobs are especially great.

Most of this thread is based on the older version. I've driven the 2017, and am waiting for delivery currently. I have a 2014. They are similar, but have MANY differences that count.

The new seats are completely different than the old ones. Incredibly comfortable to 6'2" 230 pound me. Lumbar support is night and day different as well as the new variety of adjustments.
The entertainment system is much improved. Sounds great. Navi system is significantly upgraded from privies and I love how it shows in the windshield. The new system in Japan easily flips between many languages, so I am assuming that the US models will be similar if not the same. And there are live traffic updates on my older Japanese CX5 nav system.
My mileage has never been an issue, as I have the diesel and am getting the new one as a diesel.
The new one has a firmer feeling frame, this doesn't mean a stiffer or more truck like ride, but a more solid feeling one.
The only way to really know is to drive it yourself.

The CX-5 has better handling then the Subaru and AWD is great for the snow, see Mazda Ice Academy videos.

The MPG with AWD is great, though you might be able to get 1~2 MPG better with a new CR-V or with a new Forester, most likely due to their CVT transmission.
Don't listen to the few MPG whiners on this thread (they drive 80~90 MPH and still complain), check Fuelly for your self and compare to other vehicles.
Regarding transmission, it has a great 6 speed AT, no CVT. It handles very well and looks great.

You may also consider the new CR-V, which is an excellent vehicle, and new Tucson Eco.

Can you elaborate on this statement. The only issue I have with the infotainment system is the lack of live traffic on the nav. I love the minimalist design and the commander and volume knobs are especially great.

Get something with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto if you care about the Nav. The built-in NAV in the Mazda's suck and will be obsolete in 2 years.

I went from a 2000 Outback to a 2012 Impreza and 2012 Outback.

The CX-5 is a Porche compared to them. I'm getting better cold-weather, short trip gas mileage in the CX-5 than the Imp.

Reliability-wise, compare blown head gaskets and wheel bearings in the Subies to... well, I don't know if there's anything like that with the Mazdas. They are still a Japanese brand.

As for the AWD, the CX-5's AWD is better than the Imp and OB. More power is directed to the rear, and you don't get that Subie understeer. I *love* that. If you don't know what an apex is, you might prefer the safety of understeer. I had Michelin X-Ice 3's on the Imp and the CX-5. Launch traction was great in both. The CX-5 is more stable in hard cornering on snow.

I had already picked out the Crosstrek to replace my Imp, then I drove the CX-5. Signed the paperwork the same day. Oh, and I got $2,000 more trade-in from Mazda than Subaru offered!

No live traffic
Tiny screen
Cludgy interface

Go try UConnect if you want to see a nice infotainment/vehicle systems management interface in a non-luxury brand.

Subaru and Mazda are who I was referring to. Nissan is so-so, but Sub/Maz really need to step out of the 90's...I mean, needing to tether my phone for the radio? Really? That's almost as bad as recording songs off the radio at hone onto a cassette for the car, lol

Last edited:
Slydog these are my recommendations:
1 17 cx-5.
2. 16.5 cx-5 (great discounts)
3. Rav4 formidable and reliable.
4. Rav4 hybrid - if these are as reliable as Priuses then you recoup the premium and then some.
5. 17 Ford Kuga (ford puts so much cash on hood it's hard to ignore. Get the base 2.5 instead of turbos)
6. Subaru (that resale)
7. 2017 CR-V best in class soccer mom family of four barn house. Though chrome trim sellers on eBay may curse you since the CR-V is covered in chrome and hurts their business- Honda is second only to Subaru in resale.

If i hated you i would have recommend a Kia Hyundai or Nissan.

No live traffic
Tiny screen
Cludgy interface

Go try UConnect if you want to see a nice infotainment/vehicle systems management interface in a non-luxury brand.

Subaru and Mazda are who I was referring to. Nissan is so-so, but Sub/Maz really need to step out of the 90's...I mean, needing to tether my phone for the radio? Really? That's almost as bad as recording songs off the radio at hone onto a cassette for the car, lol

Agree re: no live traffic, but the 2016 at least doesn't have a "tiny" screen - 7", i believe, which is average at worst. I personally LOVE the Commander Control interface, which is unique in this price class. And I have NO IDEA what you're talking about needing to tether your phone for the radio. Radio, including HD radio, works fine.

Agree re: no live traffic, but the 2016 at least doesn't have a "tiny" screen - 7", i believe, which is average at worst. I personally LOVE the Commander Control interface, which is unique in this price class. And I have NO IDEA what you're talking about needing to tether your phone for the radio. Radio, including HD radio, works fine.
7" screen was average half a decade ago. 8+ is the current standard even among companies like Dodge.

No live traffic
Tiny screen
Cludgy interface

Yea, you gotta take what this dude says with a grain of salt. He hates his car. LOL
I have tried uConnect. It sucks. MUCH rather have the Mazda infotainment.

Latest posts

Back