Flywheel bearing seized and ground down the end of the tranns shaft. How boned am I?

:
02 Protege 5
I pulled my manual trans today to replace the rear main seal, RTV the MBSP bolts, and replace the clutch and flywheel. I pulled the trans, clutch, and flywheel and saw that the bearings were seized to s*** and left rusted metal dust everywhere. I inspected the trans shaft and it appears that it was ground down about half a mm. I haven't measured it yet and compared it to original yet tho. How boned am I? I am including photos of the carnage.

IMG_1057.JPGIMG_1061.jpgIMG_1060.jpgIMG_1059.jpg

File the burrs off and slip a new bearing on and see how it feels. If it is not a tight fit, best to replace the input shaft or transmission.

File the burrs off and slip a new bearing on and see how it feels. If it is not a tight fit, best to replace the input shaft or transmission.

How tight should it be? It is loose but not too much. I can't afford a new transmission right now so any way to save money is what i need. I am thinking that

I'm completely guessing,.. but you may be able to take your bearing to a bearing place and see if they have a replacement bearing that fits tighter ??? Kinda like oversized pistons ???

I'm completely guessing,.. but you may be able to take your bearing to a bearing place and see if they have a replacement bearing that fits tighter ??? Kinda like oversized pistons ???
That might work. I will ask around

i have a few transmissions sitting around i could ship you.

I'd take your tranny to a transmission shop and show it to them. I'm sure they deal with stuff like this all the time. Maybe they could supply you an oversized bearing or sleeve the shaft for you. That's what I would do anyway.

How tight should it be? It is loose but not too much. I can't afford a new transmission right now so any way to save money is what i need. I am thinking that

A proper fit slides on and off easily but there is no vertical play.

A loose pilot bearing will stress the main shaft bearing in the transmission.

Back