US Prices released for 2017 range.

Can't wait to see the Active Driving Display in action.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So Mazda North American Operations have decided to keep the price of new 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5 about the same as previous-gen CX-5 in the US. For example it's $32,525 MSRP for top-of-the-line 2017 CX-5 GT AWD with Premium Package which is exactly the same $32,525 MSRP for 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package and i-ActivSense Package. Of course if you want new Soul Red Crystal color that's $595 extra、Machine Gray Metallic is $300 extra、Snowflake White Pearl Mica is $200 additional.

With added features in 2017 CX-5, it's a no-brainer that 2017 CX-5 is a better buy than 2016.6 CX-5 unless you want a manual.

2.2d price?
It won't be available until 2018. Honestly if I were Mazda I wouldn't import SkyActiv-D 2.2L into US market as the interest now is very low in the US after VW TDI's scandal. But it'd be nice finally we can try a unique diesel from Mazda here after so many years.

Can't wait to see the Active Driving Display in action.
You don't need to wait. Go to Mazda dealer check Active Driving Display (HUD) out on any 2016 CX-9 Signature's.

There're infotainment software issues on CX-9 which is also affecting some functionalities of ADD/HUD. And the special windshield could be very expensive for replacement. You may also have issues applying the tint to this special windshield.

Well all-right. This does make it a no-brainer versus the 2016.5, unless you don't like the tweaked aesthetics :)

It won't be available until 2018. Honestly if I were Mazda I wouldn't import SkyActiv-D 2.2L into US market as the interest now is very low in the US after VW TDI's scandal. But it'd be nice finally we can try a unique diesel from Mazda here after so many years.

Please consider that you MIGHT be overstating gunshy-ness with this issue. Myself, diesel wasn't even on my radar because there is so little of it in my price range in personal vehicles. Until I saw the possibility mentioned of one on a Mazda, it wasn't something I'd looked for, but once I did see the PR commentary, I looked and found out that diesel comes with better gas mileage. Suddenly it was of interest.

I suspect that for those who have not owned diesels before (millions like myself) this may also be true. So the VW TDI "scandal" is just a footnote rather than something that would scare us away.

Some European cities are banning diesels soon. The UK at the moment is allowing Euro 6 engines (the 2016.5 meets this) but is heavily taxing entry to London and charging extra for parking on those diesels that don't. The US won’t be far behind when some little town judge awards $10m to somebody that has a bit of a snivel.

Two things sticks out to me with the pricing:

1. The features that's in the Touring AWD model with the Premium and i-Activesense packages at 28,620 is a great value.
2. The GT premium package ($1,830) seems expensive for what you're getting.

Some European cities are banning diesels soon. The UK at the moment is allowing Euro 6 engines (the 2016.5 meets this) but is heavily taxing entry to London and charging extra for parking on those diesels that don't. The US won’t be far behind when some little town judge awards $10m to somebody that has a bit of a snivel.

I think if you keep up with what is happening in the US, you realize that R Perry who heads EPA once said it was unnecessary - they are going to cut emission requirements and going to totally scrap the 54.5 mpg by 2025 target - not modify but scrap it totally. So diesels are not going - infact you may see tax breaks on coal rolling kits in a few.

This is exactly what I'm worry about for Mazda! Too many consumers in US like you don't know what they'll get into by having a diesel!

Yup, and after reading a bit here, I am not interested in it anymore. Not because of what VW did, but because it sounds more complicated. The additional MPG would be nice, but the maintenance price to pay (not the difference in fuel prices) is just not worth it to me, personally.

As a footnote, though, the price in diesel fuel itself is a non-issue. If you get a 25% boost in MPG over gas, with only a 10% higher price (which is how much more diesel costs compared to regular unleaded where I live) then you're ahead of the game. The other stuff, though (urea injection, and the other technical stuff that goes beyond just pulling up to a pump) is what has turned me off of a diesel. Maybe if I'd had one before, it would be less of an issue, but I haven't... so it is. Pass.

1. The features that's in the Touring AWD model with the Premium and i-Activesense packages at 28,620 is a great value.

According to that dealer info posted on another thread, you can't get both packages together on the Touring.

EDIT: Hmmm ... but in reading the press release again, sounds like you can get both.

Last edited:
Please consider that you MIGHT be overstating gunshy-ness with this issue. Myself, diesel wasn't even on my radar because there is so little of it in my price range in personal vehicles. Until I saw the possibility mentioned of one on a Mazda, it wasn't something I'd looked for, but once I did see the PR commentary, I looked and found out that diesel comes with better gas mileage. Suddenly it was of interest.

I suspect that for those who have not owned diesels before (millions like myself) this may also be true. So the VW TDI "scandal" is just a footnote rather than something that would scare us away.
This is exactly what I'm worry about for Mazda! Too many consumers in US like you don't know what they'll get into by having a diesel! Diesel fuel usually is more expensive than gasoline and there're fewer stations available in the US. But many other countries the government subsidizes the diesel fuel and the price has a big advantage! This means the MPG advantage on diesel is not that great in the US. In addition, the infrastructure of providing higher quality diesel fuel and maintenance is not sufficient in the US either. You may not be able to find correct diesel fuel and engine oil in the US which are required by SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel! The potential problems caused by using incorrect fuel and oil are very likely as US customers don't understand the requirements by Mazda's Diesel engine. Heck I can see the same problem on Mazda's new SkyActiv-G 2.5L Turbo in CX-9. Mazda specifies 5W-30 oil so dealers use "conventional" 5W-30 oil instead of full synthetic oil for oil change. I even heard Mazda dealers had refused customer's request for full synthetic as Mazda doesn't specify! While conventional oil nowadays is good but you'd better not leave it there too long in a turbo engine. I can see this will eventually ruin the reputation of 2.5 Turbo in the feature!

I heard even VW is planning to give up their diesel TDIs entirely due to all the new emmision regulations which is happening now in the Europe!

The 2.2 turbo diesel requires a oil that meets certain specifications, here in Aus they specify one that meets the Japansese JASO DL-1 specifications in a 5W30 or the APEA C1 equivalent. Full synthetic.

I would say there is a fair chance that the UK version would have the same spec for oil. Your manual will state the requirements, and it won't just be for any old 5W30 oil. Apart from anything else the DPF will be damaged or destroyed by using the wrong oil.

There are many 5W30 synthetic oils for diesels out there that do not meet the DL-1 or C1 specification. Ones that are certified and specced for VW's, for example, do not meet the specs for the Mazda 2.2 turbo diesel. You need to be very careful on your oil selections.

Apart from Mazda's own version, I could only find two here in Aus that meet the specs - one is a VALVOLINE Synpower Enviro C1 and the other is a PENRITE Enviro+ DL-1.

If the oil that's been used doesn't meet the Mazda specs then it's likely to be a contributing factor to a engine failure and Mazda will, with some justification, walk away. In that case I'd be going back to the local garage who did the servicing using the wrong spec oil and be having firm words with them. They would be paying the costs of repair.
Im afraid that the oil may well be part of your problem. It is important that these engines run on C2 or C3 oil which has a low ash content. Couple not using low ash oil with supermarket diesel and there is your problem. Supermarket diesel has little or none of the detergents that branded fuel has. The combination of poor fuel and the wrong oil wrecks many diesels in the UK.

Mazda do make it clear that the right oil should be used so a garage not using the right oil should be your first port of call. Take them to court if necessary.
European diesels have particulate filters in the exhaust as well as cats. They are very sensitive to the correct oil and fuel.

According to that dealer info posted on another thread, you can't get both packages together on the Touring.

The press release says you can:

"Customers can also opt for the Touring i-ACTIVSENSE Package on top of the Preferred Equipment Package"

This is exactly what I'm worry about for Mazda! Too many consumers in US like you don't know what they'll get into by having a diesel! Diesel fuel usually is more expensive than gasoline and there're fewer stations available in the US. But many other countries the government subsidizes the diesel fuel and the price has a big advantage! This means the MPG advantage on diesel is not that great in the US. In addition, the infrastructure of providing higher quality diesel fuel and maintenance is not sufficient in the US either. You may not be able to find correct diesel fuel and engine oil in the US which are required by SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel! The potential problems caused by using incorrect fuel and oil are very likely as US customers don't understand the requirements by Mazda's Diesel engine. Heck I can see the same problem on Mazda's new SkyActiv-G 2.5L Turbo in CX-9. Mazda specifies 5W-30 oil so dealers use "conventional" 5W-30 oil instead of full synthetic oil for oil change. I even heard Mazda dealers had refused customer's request for full synthetic as Mazda doesn't specify! While conventional oil nowadays is good but you'd better not leave it there too long in a turbo engine. I can see this will eventually ruin the reputation of 2.5 Turbo in the feature!

I heard even VW is planning to give up their diesel TDIs entirely due to all the new emmision regulations which is happening now in the Europe!

This. I'm about to sell back my VW JSW TDI and specifically made the decision not to wait and pay for the diesel. It didn't help that Mazda's diesels do have some existing issues overseas. But then again w/ the loss of the 2.0L Manual, maybe Mazda will get lucky for people that see the mpg numbers and decide to buy. Certainly nice that you can get the diesel in higher level trims (unlike the outgoing manual). I'll sure miss the torque, but going back to buying regular gas doesn't suck!

Thanks for posting this, confirms price of awd gt i posted in another thread. Touring with preferred looking like a very interesting option indeed, getting excited, want to drive already and feel those extra 3 ponies haha

Back