Official 2017 2nd-Gen CX-5 EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Are Out

Funny right? Just don't catch him at a stop light, otherwise he might 'pop' into Sport mode on you(having flashbacks of Paul Walker activating NOS in his Eclipse in FF1) and leave you in the dust.

BTW a Civic and CRV are both faster than a CX-5 going @ 0-60.

Super important, for grabbing that parking spot at the grocery store, before anyone else.

yrwei - can you update the original EPA estimates with observed:

FWD CRV 2017
City 21
Hwy 32
Combined 26

AWD CRV 2017
City 20
Hwy 31
Combined 25

This was a quote from the CRV forum, "I found this thread and surprising I'm not alone on getting low mileage fuel efficiency.
Wow". I went ahead and read through the forum and yep, everyone is getting lower than estimated mpg numbers. Still early but all sounds to be right around the CX5. I know the CRVs numbers are inflated. Every new model always has inflated numbers and they eventually drop.

I remember when the new Ford Fusion Hybrid came out it was estimated at 47mpg. A year or so later it was 41mpg rating.

This was a quote from the CRV forum, "I found this thread and surprising I'm not alone on getting low mileage fuel efficiency.
Wow". I went ahead and read through the forum and yep, everyone is getting lower than estimated mpg numbers. Still early but all sounds to be right around the CX5. I know the CRVs numbers are inflated. Every new model always has inflated numbers and they eventually drop.

I remember when the new Ford Fusion Hybrid came out it was estimated at 47mpg. A year or so later it was 41mpg rating.

Honda Fanboys:
You need to use an Econ mode and not have a lead foot.
You need to wait for 30,000 miles before the car breaks in. Then you will be so bored as **** driving this turd you will never ever drive it hard and the mpg will increase.

Apples to Oranges.

Super important, for grabbing that parking spot at the grocery store, before anyone else.

Professional racer driving a Gen1 CX-5 diesel on a track. Don't let him get your groceries unless you want your egg cartoons smashed.

yrwei - can you update the original EPA estimates with observed:

FWD CRV 2017
City 21
Hwy 32
Combined 26

AWD CRV 2017
City 20
Hwy 31
Combined 25

The real question is what is the gas mileage when driving 90 MPH in the middle of the night in snow?

The real question is what is the gas mileage when driving 90 MPH in the middle of the night in snow?
Invalid question.
Which family of fourTM does that?
Now if you were an exciting young at heart CX-5 driver who can deal with manually opening the trunk - that would be a valid question.

Invalid question.
Which family of fourTM does that?
Now if you were an exciting young at heart CX-5 driver who can deal with manually opening the trunk - that would be a valid question.

I'm much more concerned about having a lighted auto window button. How will I be able to open a window at night if I can't find the switch???

Msrp

⋯ Add to that its 3500 more expensive top trim and about 2000 more for middle trim - after 10 years of driving a boring POS it will need to better the CX5 resale by $ 3,700 - I dont see that happening.
Again, please be a responsible poster! Lowering your number from $4,000 to $3,500 is not good enough. :) The fact is MSRP for the top-of-line 2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD is $33,695 and the top-of-line 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with Premium Package is $32,525. The difference is $1,070! Not to mention CR-V has factory cargo cover and roof rails, whereas you have to pay $575 MSRP for them on CX-5!

$2,000 more on middle trim? 2017 Honda CR-V EX FWD is $26,696 and 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD is $25,915. CR-V EX has a lot more amenities than CX-5 such as Remote Engine Start、18" Alloy Wheels、Multi-angle Rearview Camera with Dynamic Guidelines、Honda Sensing Suite、Auto-on/off Headlights w/Auto High-beam、One-touch Power Moonroof、Foglights、Heated Side Mirrors、Retractable Cargo Cover、Power Windows w/Illuminated Switches & One-touch Auto-up/down on both Front Windows、12-way Power Driver's Seat、Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. BTW Honda Sensing Suite is like Mazda's i-ActivSense Package with the following features:
  • LaneWatch Display
  • Blind Spot Indicator
  • Multi-Angle Rearview Camera
  • Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Forward Collision Warning
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
Now with $781 more you get these many more features on Honda CR-V mid-trim EX, which one is the better buy?!

And everybody knows CR-V is one of the compact CUVs with the best resale value:

2017 Best Resale Value Awards: Compact Suv/Crossover

Again, please be a responsible poster! Lowering your number from $4,000 to $3,500 is not good enough. :) The fact is MSRP for the top-of-line 2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD is $33,695 and the top-of-line 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with Premium Package is $32,525. The difference is $1,070! Not to mention CR-V has factory cargo cover and roof rails, whereas you have to pay $575 MSRP for them on CX-5!

$2,000 more on middle trim? 2017 Honda CR-V EX FWD is $26,696 and 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD is $25,915. CR-V EX has a lot more amenities than CX-5 such as Remote Engine Start、18" Alloy Wheels、Multi-angle Rearview Camera with Dynamic Guidelines、Honda Sensing Suite、Auto-on/off Headlights w/Auto High-beam、One-touch Power Moonroof、Foglights、Heated Side Mirrors、Retractable Cargo Cover、Power Windows w/Illuminated Switches & One-touch Auto-up/down on both Front Windows、12-way Power Driver's Seat、Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. BTW Honda Sensing™ Suite is like Mazda's i-ActivSense Package with the following features:
  • LaneWatch™ Display
  • Blind Spot Indicator
  • Collision Mitigation Braking System™
  • Lane Departure Warning
Now with $781 more you get these many more features on Honda CR-V mid-trim EX, which one is the better buy?!

Hey, everyone knows the CRV offers more amenities. It still doesn't drive like the CX5 though. If you care more about features then the CRV is obviously the better buy. But if you still care about driving, the CX5 is the better buy.

$2,000 more on middle trim? 2017 Honda CR-V EX FWD is $26,696 and 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD is $25,915. CR-V EX has a lot more amenities than CX-5 such as Remote Engine Start、18" Alloy Wheels、Multi-angle Rearview Camera with Dynamic Guidelines、Honda Sensing Suite、Auto-on/off Headlights w/Auto High-beam、One-touch Power Moonroof、Foglights、Heated Side Mirrors、Retractable Cargo Cover、Power Windows w/Illuminated Switches & One-touch Auto-up/down on both Front Windows、12-way Power Driver's Seat、Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. BTW Honda Sensing™ Suite is like Mazda's i-ActivSense Package with the following features:
  • LaneWatch™ Display
  • Blind Spot Indicator
  • Lane Departure Warning

You forgot to add on 19" wheels for the Honda cost. The price you cited at the top for Touring is with 18" wheels. Top-o-the-line CX-5 GT comes with 19", so to get them to an even starting point, jack the CR-V up by another $2,265 for the bigger wheels.

Not to mention, CX5 comes with 19s, Honda charges 2500 for it. Please add that - also as stated CX5s HUD has more info than a BMW M4 :) And still no adaptive headlights.

• LaneWatch™ Display
  • Blind Spot Indicator
  • Lane Departure Warning

But there are two huge penalties you pay even if features even out yrwei - its a CVT. ITS A CVT!!!!!!
With that tiny turbo and CVT - you can kiss that 30 mpg combined good bye - so in effect its about 1~2 mpg less than CX5 for suburban drivers (Costs about $1400 over 10 years) - so the resale as I stated has to be about $1000 (MSRP difference) + $2500 (wheels) + $1400 xtra Fuel = $4900 more than 10 year old CX5 which is not happening.

So you have actually convinced me that CR-V over 10 years top trim will be $4900 more expensive than CX-5. Ofcourse i have not added any CVT tax to this which is about $120 a year so your total is $6100. I dont think your 10 year old CR-V will outsell a 10 year old CX-5 with 6100 dollars. Not happening.

Summary : You will pay $6100 extra driving a CR-V over 10 years and might recoup $700 or so more in resale. Net is 5400 loss

I'm starting to think CX-5 owners bicker more about fuel economy than Prius owners did when I was on the Prius board. lol

I'm starting to think CX-5 owners bicker more about fuel economy than Prius owners did when I was on the Prius board. lol

Mainly because the CX-5 fails to deliver in so many cases. If Mazda had just been honest, there wouldn't be nearly this much bickering. Take the Corvette for example. The only fuel economy threads you see there are "got 31mpg on my last road trip! WOOT!". Instead we get "you're a liar, mine hit 30mpg once!" and "No I'm not, I just drove 1500 miles and averaged 26.8" and so on, lol

Why is it so hard for to believe I drive aggressively? Damn near hit 90 on the way to work this morning.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was just laughing at how you described the "speed" of something that I could fall asleep before hitting 60 in.

It's great that the CRV has improved by the numbers - that's good for the brand and for consumers. But as the car is something I have to look at everyday, the performance difference would need to be more substantial for me to consider the CRV over a new CX-5. The CRV looks like a minivan.

Not really. The older one did, but the 2017, not so much. And I hate anything "minivan" like, so obviously it's moved into the "contested" territory on style.

I didn't have to. I can look at the specs and tell you how they perform. I'm not talking about "feel", I'm talking about performance.

The Escape is a POS. It's very unreliable based on the numbers, it's slow, it has low capacity, it has poor economy, its...why would I ever buy that!?

I think the Forester 2.0XT would have been better suited to my wants, but I didn't feel like spending the money, and my CX-5 has done everything I wanted it to do, I just feel no connection to it. I have no emotions at all regarding it unless it were to break (kindof like a refrigerator or hot water heater).

Friend of mine got a 2.0XT, actually, 2 friends own them. They get similar mpg to my CX5, maybe 1-2mpg less around town, similar on the highway, a touch less on 55-60mph roads in the country.

Silly unob, you complain about mileage now? Assuming there's nothing wrong with your cx5 you'd be lucky, very lucky to see a number starting with 2 had you sprung for that half baked (thats as nice as i can be) 'performance' cuv. Having owned (wifey) an 06 xt stick I simply can't express my disappointment with the current xt enough. Other than being quicker in a straight line the cx5 has it all over that rolling joke, ok that maybe a tad harsh.[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back