Official 2017 2nd-Gen CX-5 EPA Fuel Economy Ratings Are Out

Oh sweet lord! $37k on that thing?! Hell. No.

Not for any boring CUV that can't even break into the 13's on a good day going down a hill in mine-shaft air. ROFL!. No.

He got the 19s yo and illuminated door sills. Now he gets in style, connects his phone to AA or Apple carplay and ......... 30 secs later it disconnects and his CVT goes "Rolling in the deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" - life's good.
Honda - the power of dreams.

He got the 19s yo and illuminated door sills. Now he gets in style, connects his phone to AA or Apple carplay and ......... 30 secs later it disconnects and his CVT goes "Rolling in the deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" - life's good.

Nothign wrong with the CRV compared to the CX5, but I paid $22k for my AWD 2.5 Touring, and a penny more would have been too much for what it was. Nearly 2x that, and you expect a V8, or at least a good V6, a refined suspension, and a lot of other things. Like a Propeller in blue and white, or a silver 3-pointed star or SOMETHING other than a base manufacturer's logo.

Thanks for the laugh. (rofl2)

Edit:

Nothign wrong with the CRV compared to the CX5, but I paid $22k for my AWD 2.5 Touring, and a penny more would have been too much for what it was. Nearly 2x that, and you expect a V8, or at least a good V6, a refined suspension, and a lot of other things. Like a Propeller in blue and white, or a silver 3-pointed star or SOMETHING other than a base manufacturer's logo.

How did you get an AWD Touring CX-5 for $22k?

Able to negotiate better pricing these days compared to back in 2013?

Last edited:
No one is racing their CX-5s. At least, I don't know anyone who is. I'm not racing it on the streets.

Funny you would say that. I did get someone once try to race me. He was in a Nissan Armada.. I should have gotten smoked, right? Funny thing. I beat him. He caught up to me at the light and flipped me off then threw me a huge smile and a nod. Yea, some here won't believe me. It happened. I almost let him take me because I was still in the break in period. But. I. Just. Had. To.

That's how I roll.

Funny you would say that. I did get someone once try to race me. He was in a Nissan Armada.. I should have gotten smoked, right? Funny thing. I beat him. He caught up to me at the light and flipped me off then threw me a huge smile and a nod. Yea, some here won't believe me. It happened. I almost let him take me because I was still in the break in period. But. I. Just. Had. To.

That's how I roll.

I would have done the same thing as you. ;)

The 2hp increase. I wonder if that is achieved via hardware (intake?) or an ECU tweek. We'll know soon enough.

geesh folks, give Mazda credit where credit is due. its an increase of 3HP, not two. 184 HP --> 187 HP

(band2)

All this time I thought it was 185HP. Or was the TQ? Anyways Maybe its due to a less restrictive intake plumbing.

That's how I roll.
Better be careful with those big Nissan SUVs. The Top Gear video where the Porsche was racing a Nissan Patrol and losing badly has been seared into my brain LOL. Of course the chances of running into one of those is going to be rare hehe.

People keep mentioning this 2hp increase. Which car got one? The 2017 CX-5?

2017 - it got a 3hp increase, is longer by few inches and shorter by few.
Funny thing is TFL video that came out 4 hours ago says - Mazda has told me they will release AA and Carplay and it will be compatible with their latest systems. So mostly will work with 16s. Again - no need to get excited. Actually if they offer i may be too lazy to even get it installed.

2017 - it got a 3hp increase, is longer by few inches and shorter by few.
Funny thing is TFL video that came out 4 hours ago says - Mazda has told me they will release AA and Carplay and it will be compatible with their latest systems. So mostly will work with 16s. Again - no need to get excited. Actually if they offer i may be too lazy to even get it installed.
Oh I missed that, thanks. 3hp is not much, but every little bit helps.

That's how I roll.

I killed a v6 mustang a while back. I was pretty shocked, honestly. I never understood base pony cars. That is why, lol

More curious about what this HP increase means for the overall powerband; not just 3 more peak hp. But you won't know these thing without a dyno.

More curious about what this HP increase means for the overall powerband; not just 3 more peak hp. But you won't know these thing without a dyno.

Probably bs. I know from 1989 to 1993 the Mustang gt lost a few hp due to cam profiles etc. It was meaningless on the dyno.

I bet it's quite a bit heavier.. just like Unobtanium wanted it to be.
It's also supposed to be very quiet inside, so that might be a worthwhile trade off.

I bet the FWD no longer has the taller gear ratios that helped it get 33MPG HWY.
With the extra weight it probably needs to be geared the same as the AWD for acceptable acceleration.
US version 2017 CX-5 2.5L's are indeed heavier than 2016.5 - by 94 lbs in FWD and 66 lbs in AWD.

But final drive gear ration in FWD is still taller: 4.325 FWD to 4.624 AWD.

187 hp @ 6,000 rpm for 2017 vs. 184 hp @ 5,700 rpm for 2016.5, isn't the difference from a little higher rpm?

Also Mazda has made the maximum engine torque for 2017 CX-5 AWD to occur at higher RPM than FWD for 2017. I remember in Japan CX-5 SA-G 2.5L AWD has a bit lower hp and torque than its FWD for some reason. (uhm)

SkyActiv-G 2.5L
Horsepower SAE net187 @ 6,000 rpm
Torque SAE net lb-ft185 @ 3,250 rpm (FWD)
185 @ 4,000 rpm (AWD)

And for 2017 CX-5 the final ratio on FWD is still taller than AWD:

Gear Ratios2.5L FWD 6AT2.5L AWD 6AT
Final drive4.3254.624

Who mentioned that it has class leading noise reduction? That would be interesting.

Back