Is there a big difference in ride quality between 17 and 19 inch wheels?

Ziggity

:
2013 CX-5 Sport
I have the 19s and am wondering whether 17s would be less harsh and/or road noise quieter?

The number of smooth asphalt roads I travel on seems to be much fewer these days.

i don't do corners, so don't worry about lateral performance.

I drove a 16.5 Touring and Grand Touring back to back on good road test before purchasing. The tires are different from 17" to 19" when new. I actually found the 19" setup to be quieter than the 17". The overall ride was pretty similar. Steering felt slightly different. The tires are going to make all the difference when looking for noise/comfort. The 17" setup factory is also pretty heavy for being such a small and narrow stance. If going to go to a smaller wheel I would go with an aftermarket wheel that would be lighter and wider. I personally have seen 18's on a CX5 and think they looked great.

Side Note: if your car is new be sure to check tire pressures as many come way overfilled to avoid flat spots. Mine were at 44PSI Cold. That makes a big difference in ride. Nitrogen is also a great affordable upgrade that can improve ride quality and tire wear which is especially noticeable on lower profile tires.

I drove a 16.5 Touring and Grand Touring back to back on good road test before purchasing. The tires are different from 17" to 19" when new. I actually found the 19" setup to be quieter than the 17". The overall ride was pretty similar. Steering felt slightly different. The tires are going to make all the difference when looking for noise/comfort. The 17" setup factory is also pretty heavy for being such a small and narrow stance. If going to go to a smaller wheel I would go with an aftermarket wheel that would be lighter and wider. I personally have seen 18's on a CX5 and think they looked great.

Side Note: if your car is new be sure to check tire pressures as many come way overfilled to avoid flat spots. Mine were at 44PSI Cold. That makes a big difference in ride. Nitrogen is also a great affordable upgrade that can improve ride quality and tire wear which is especially noticeable on lower profile tires.

interesting. thank you.

My tyres are nearing change tread depth, so I thought the change over of wheels, now, would be best so as not to lose value on the tyres being replaced.

any other opinions?

Its been noted the stock 19" Toyo's have very hard sidewalls. You could consider a more generic and much cheaper replacement such as the General Altimax.

I recently bought a late 2014 pre-facelift Sports Nav with stock 19 inch Toyo Proxes. I also bought a set of nearly new 17 inch alloys with Yokohama Geolanders. These are the factory setup for the lower spec models. I ran the 19's for the first 2 months (2k miles), and only last week swapped to the 17's. The ride is a bit softer, maybe 10% at most, and the road noise seems about the same. The car feels sharper with the 19's, and a little sloppier on the 17's. There's not that much in it tho, a little heavier on the steering but no deal breaker. If you're quite happy with your current ride quality leave it stock.

I run 19s in summer and 17s in winter. I don't see a difference in harshness. I cant comment on road noise because the 17s are snow tires and noisy

I run 19s in summer and 17s in winter. I don't see a difference in harshness. I cant comment on road noise because the 17s are snow tires and noisy

+1. The ride difference is nearly imperceptible to me... however the road noise from the studs is obviously louder, but expected.

Having said that, if I still own my CX5 and need to replace the 19" Toyos, it will be with the General Altimax tires I noted above.

You might find some good info under the wheels/tires section.... yrwei52 has listed quite a few replacement options, along with their speed ratings, etc.

Last edited:
I have the 19s and am wondering whether 17s would be less harsh and/or road noise quieter?
The number of smooth asphalt roads I travel on seems to be much fewer these days.
Like many others had said, the characteristic of tires may have more to do to your ride quality than the size. If you can't find light、smooth and soft General AltiMAX RT43 225/55R19 99H tires in UK, Continental TrueContact 225/55R19 99H is very similar.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Last edited:

Yes, I have driven both CX-5's, and the 17's provide a smoother ride, while the 19's provide more feed-back.

I drove both over some pretty nasty bumps and could hardly tell a difference. If I was to give a percentage I'd say it's a 10% stiffer ride over bumps. It was still a much nicer ride than the Elantra Limited we traded in so I was happy to sacrifice a little ride quality for leather seats since we have a toddler sitting in back.

I think the Toyos are nice, overpriced but I prefer them hands down to p7. My 17" dunlop winters ride rougher than 19" toyos for sure so it just depends on the tire. 235/55-19 Pirelli Scorpion Verde (first choice before p7) absolutely ruined the ride- you have to be a bit more mindful on the 19s, less choices unless you get creative but again Id exercise caution.

I went from the stock 19" w/Toyo super-stiff sidewalls, to 18" with Michelin X-ice 3's. The Michs were enough softer that I plan to get summer tires in that size. Plus each wheel/tire combo is 12 pounds lighter.

Couldn't help myself. I've ordered a set of these 17x7.5 with tyres.

WOLFRACE_EUROSPORT_JDM_gm_f_gunmetal-600x600.jpg

I'll post photos on saturday :D

The 17s will definitely bring a more comfortable ride

Definitely! The 17s bring you a more comfortable ride - very noticeable! The noise from the tires are not related to 19 or 17 I belief. It is the profile that determines the db that are produced. Go for silent summer tires. Even with the 17s you can do great corners.

I recently bought a late 2014 pre-facelift Sports Nav with stock 19 inch Toyo Proxes. I also bought a set of nearly new 17 inch alloys with Yokohama Geolanders. These are the factory setup for the lower spec models. I ran the 19's for the first 2 months (2k miles), and only last week swapped to the 17's. The ride is a bit softer, maybe 10% at most, and the road noise seems about the same. The car feels sharper with the 19's, and a little sloppier on the 17's. There's not that much in it tho, a little heavier on the steering but no deal breaker. If you're quite happy with your current ride quality leave it stock.

I bought a set of 19" wheels from a CX-5 owner who traded his car in with the non standard 17" wheels.

He said the car handed better on the 19", I had no reason to disbelieve him as he got sold the car due to excessive oil rise due to dilution.(UK diesel) So confirms what you say.

Hello, I just bought a sport model with MT. I find that the car floats around a bit, the ride is not as firm as I would have preferred. Is that due to the break in period, anything I can do to make a bit more firm?

Back