Tranny filter for european spec Mazda5 2.0 5AT?

rossibai

:
Mazda5 CR, MX-5 NC
Hi,
I have a 2008 Mazda5 with 2.0 petrol engine & 5AT. I'm planning a ATF flush and filter replacement.
The problem is that there seems to be two versions of tranny filter. The only difference between the two is the length of oil suction pipe.
Many sources say long pipe fits FS5A-AL/FNR5 transmission but a few sources say Mazda's FS5A-EL uses short pipe...... I'm completely lost...
Could anyone here help to clarify? THANKS!!!!!!!!

just like the picture below, suction pipe length is different. any experience on that?

24_608-ids-4f27e-fnr5-oil-flter.jpg

Not sure how different, if any, your 5sp auto is compared to the US but my 2008 OEM filter was the left/long tube. When I replaced it, there was no Mazda replacement option so I stuck in the short tube (right) filter for a Focus. Also used a Focus pan gasket. Last I checked, you can now get OEM Mazda replacement filters and gaskets.

Btw, are you sure that pipe is suction and not discharge? Either way, I reason that heavy particles are pull down by the magnet so short tube may not be a bad thing - just a guess. ~35k now.

Not sure how different, if any, your 5sp auto is compared to the US but my 2008 OEM filter was the left/long tube. When I replaced it, there was no Mazda replacement option so I stuck in the short tube (right) filter for a Focus. Also used a Focus pan gasket. Last I checked, you can now get OEM Mazda replacement filters and gaskets.

Btw, are you sure that pipe is suction and not discharge? Either way, I reason that heavy particles are pull down by the magnet so short tube may not be a bad thing - just a guess. ~35k now.

Many thanks for confirming that OEM filter has the long tube. I'll go for long tube filter.
If the tube is too long so it touches the pan, I could always cut it short. :):):)

Back