Fit and finish

How has the paint held up over four years?

Just fine.

I have some scratches here and there from my old employer's parking garage (people were god awful in this garage, and the spaces were not very big).

But otherwise, everything still looks great. I don't have any protection film or anything and hood still looks great, etc.

Well,I took my "baby" home from the dealer exactly 3 years ago today and luckily haven't noticed any gaps in molding or warpage.The build date was Sept. 2013.Has some really small scratches that are barely noticeable but the liquid silver looks excellent overall but it sure does scratch easily and is mighty thin.Seems like the primer/base coat is the most durable or harder to scratch thru.Even if Mazda is trying to save weight,cost,being environmentally "green" etc.,it would be nice to have a thicker color coat and clear coat or at least more durable.I tend to keep my cars a long time and would hate to be a "beta tester" for some new paint process that might start flaking off years down the road.Perhaps an unfounded pessimistic concern and no indications whatsoever that it will happen,but with technology changing rapidly you can't help but wonder sometimes.

It still drives great, gives no trouble and I'm well satisfied with it.All systems GO! ZOOM ZOOM !!

How has the paint held up over four years?

I use a touch-up pen every 3-4 months so I don't get a bunch of rust-freckles. Mazda used steel in this vehicle, so that kindof sucks. I have to keep after it. Already killed some rust starting in the roof-line and touched-up over it. The paint strikes me as "low side of average".

I use a touch-up pen every 3-4 months so I don't get a bunch of rust-freckles. Mazda used steel in this vehicle, so that kindof sucks. I have to keep after it. Already killed some rust starting in the roof-line and touched-up over it. The paint strikes me as "low side of average".

"Mazda used steel in this vehicle, so that kindof sucks."

Mazda used steel in the construction of the CX-5? Imagine that!

What would you have them use in place of the steel?

When I wash windshield there is a plastic strip running along lower edge which is flimsy. But it traps dirt. Also bottom corners of windshield have a plastic trim that moves a lot.

No gaps at all in My 2016 CX-5 GT, 16 months old. In fact I traded in a 2014 BMW 228 for my Mazda and IMHO quality/Fit/Finish is much better on the Mazda than the BMW.

"Mazda used steel in this vehicle, so that kindof sucks."

Mazda used steel in the construction of the CX-5? Imagine that!

What would you have them use in place of the steel?

That's funny. The least expensive aluminum production car I can find is the Mercedes C-class, which is a combination of aluminum and steel, costing in the high 30's. Most are far more expensive, though here and there you'll find things like aluminum hoods (easy!)

Aluminum cars also require a shop with special equipment and training that can handle the repairs. This isn't Mazda's market...

Uno, every time you say something you credibility goes down...

You mentioned in other threads that you shop at night and don't like to interact with people. I think I may know why. Try looking at things with a more positive outlook. If you don't like your car, get a new one. People should be happy. Surround yourself with things that make you happy.

When I wash windshield there is a plastic strip running along lower edge which is flimsy. But it traps dirt. Also bottom corners of windshield have a plastic trim that moves a lot.

You actually want those parts soft and pliable. I sometimes apply Collinite or 303 on them to maintain softness and color. You don't want them hard and brittle.

You actually want those parts soft and pliable. I sometimes apply Collinite or 303 on them to maintain softness and color. You don't want them hard and brittle.

Good to know. Dew drops harden on my windshield - wth never seen this. They harden if i dont get them off and drive hard.

Good to know. Dew drops harden on my windshield - wth never seen this. They harden if i dont get them off and drive hard.

Oh I see. I treat the bottom windshield molding like the rest of the black trim of the CX-5. Try to keep them black. Think of it like this. Its a functional plastic "covering". On a related note this may be the cover needing to be removed should I decide to perform TSB 09-009/12 on my 2013 model. See on earlier models sometimes there's a rattle coming from that area. Luckily for me I only "slightly" hear the rattle when slowly driving over speed bumps. And it took 4 years for that rattle to develop. The solution involves using foam padding.

20140906_111306_zpse4ce9725.jpg

The problem I have is the seal of the doors - all of them. They collect an incredible amount of grit and fine dust that eventually begins to find it's way into the interior of my 2016.5 CX-5. When I took a close look, it seems the rubber insulation does not make a complete seal. I have seen it on other cars of course, but this is much more. Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Bought a 2017. Everything looks good during PDI.. But noticed this when I got home... Is it normal? I was thinking if I can just pop it off, and refit it myself.

You can actually see the clips.

0538c5426f736c8468cb969bf8713e8e.jpg

Bought a 2017. Everything looks good during PDI.. But noticed this when I got home... Is it normal? I was thinking if I can just pop it off, and refit it myself.

That doesn't look right. I'd take it back to the dealer and compare with other CX-5s at the dealership and get them to sort it out.

wow... i got the same exact problem on my (Also Canadian) 2017 GT I took possession of this week.

Last edited:
Back