Fit and finish

could it be due to sagging doors? I am actually uncomfortable seeing this - the dealer i bought this is 40 miles away and the other dealer that i went to was not impressive at all. Seems Mazda dealers have very little margin, and interest to help.

I have noticed some of this, along with an occasional "pop" sound of the interior plastic when turning during elevation change (uphill or downhill). Expected for an economy vehicle, but I still chuckle when I hear Mazda is going "upscale".

Nah. Doors have nothing to do with it. My 2001 4Runner never did this after 10 years of ownership, and all the money was in the drivetrain, not the interior.

I've only had my CX5 for 22 months. All these gaps are ~1/8" in width.

I'll look closely at mine later but I haven't noticed anything like that.

You noticed the gaps as having changed/becoming bigger over the course of 22 mos? I haven't noticed any expansion on mine - owned about 18 mos.

Anyone else experiencing gaps between interior bits?
I uploaded a few pics of my dash and c pillars.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2199
I've noticed these gaps between interior trims since I saw a TSB for distorted A-pillar trim cover. I didn't want to discuss it as some forum members would feel this is a negative comment against our CX-5. Now you've mentioned it and here are some pictures of mine showing gap at top of the C-pillar trim and crooked A-pillar trim piece:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is a picture showing the totally out-of-aligned design lines between B-pillar trim and front door panel. These two pieces don't match at all and seems coming from two different vehicles: (uhm)

attachment.php

Two months ago I also saw the left rear bumper piece was popped out. I thought someone hit the rear bumper but I couldn't find any sign of minor collision. I assumed it's a case of the plastic bumper flexed itself due to the sudden temperature drop, and popped out by itself?!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mazda CX-5 C-Pillar Trim.jpgMazda CX-5 A-Pillar Trim_01.jpgMazda CX-5 B-Pillar Trim and Door Panel.jpgMazda CX-5 Rear Bumper_02.jpgMazda CX-5 Rear Bumper_033.jpg

I have grabbed the driver's side A pillar, close to the dash, with my hand and I can feel the edge toward the windshield, cutting my fingers. Most likely the A pillar is broken there. I have never removed the A pillar.

Has the dealer said or done anything about these? I've noticed no issues, but my car's only a month old.

I've noticed these gaps between interior trims since I saw a TSB for distorted A-pillar trim cover. I didn't want to discuss it as some forum members would feel this is a negative comment against our CX-5. Now you've mentioned it and here are some pictures of mine showing gap at top of the C-pillar trim and crooked A-pillar trim piece:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is a picture showing the totally out-of-aligned design lines between B-pillar trim and front door panel. These two pieces don't match at all and seems coming from two different vehicles: (uhm)

attachment.php

Two months ago I also saw the left rear bumper piece was popped out. I thought someone hit the rear bumper but I couldn't find any sign of minor collision. I assumed it's a case of the plastic bumper flexed itself due to the sudden temperature drop, and popped out by itself?!

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216048View attachment 216049View attachment 216050View attachment 216051View attachment 216052

Seems unlikely - and considering how robots assemble these, yours would not be the only one. I bet someone did nudge you, just slightly and very slowly. Maybe in the bumper.

Seems unlikely - and considering how robots assemble these, yours would not be the only one. I bet someone did nudge you, just slightly and very slowly. Maybe in the bumper.

Agree, that does not look normal and honestly, I would take the car back to the dealer just for the other stuff.

To those who have asked, there were hairline gaps between these panels when I bought the CX5, but they have grown considerably over the past 22 months, particularly around the C pillars. My A pillar has always had that bump/lump, but I've just ignored it, and assumed it was due to the part needing to be rather thin to allow for the air bag to deploy if necessary.

Are there side curtain airbags behind our c pillars, or in the vicinity? That might explain the gaps as stuff settles over the years.... But our CRV isn't showing the same increases in gaps, and I would assume it has relatively similar curtain air bags in place.

Haven't checked out the b pillar trim --> door panel that yrwei52 notes is misaligned.

For the interior I have not seen gaps. I've removed plenty of panels from projects and they seem to snap back into place. Have you guys tried removing the entire panel and inserting back? Much of the panels I removed had clearance behind them. Try searching some DIY project related to removing a certain panel. Otherwise man this is unacceptable and the dealership needs to fix it. I'd argue that panels covering any side airbag be fixed for safety reasons.

I've had my CX-5 for almost 4 years now and I do not have any gaps like that on any of the interior or exterior pieces.....

But now I'd like to double-check heh.

Edit: Yep, no gaps.

Last edited:
How has the paint held up over four years?

My car is from December 2013 (but is a 2014) and the paint is held up fine. I have some dings and such from people but otherwise, in good shape. This is a Silver car.

No gaps in my Jan 2013 built car. Paint is about what I'd expect considering 90% of my miles are high speed highway.

Latest posts

Back