Wastegate adjustment

:
Mazda,Protege,Mazdaspeed
Hi, I bought an atp wastegate replacement. How do I adjust it to stock levels? Right now it's way over tightened ancits causing it to boost spike..before I take it off to fix it I am just hoping someone can give me advise on the adjustment. Thanks

How high is it spiking? Have you connected the vacuum line? It should be adjusted to the same length as the stock wastegate arm. It's possible you purchased one with a stronger springs or ATP sent the wrong one. It should raise the boost to around 9psi.

The first time I put it on, I loosened the rod until it reach the clip to attach it. Which made it so I wasn't boosting at all. So I took it off and adjusted it to the stock one length. But they are slightly different then each other. I was going to readjust it to where the rod is half way on and half way off the clip then stretch it to fit. Right now the boost is jumping around from 7-12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adjust it to the same length as the stock WGA, you will have to pull the arm a bit to get it on the wg flap. The spring inside the WGA should have tension holding the WG flap shut. Which part number WGA did you get? They come with different springs inside them that will set the boost to different levels.

It's the right part. I'm thinking I just made it so I had to pull the rod to far to fit. Hopefully loosening it up with fix it. I just don't want to take it off again after I attempt it again. I'll be attempting it sometime in the next week.

It should be giving stable boost either way, you can try removing the arm from the end of the WG at the turbo and adjusting it without removing the turbo but it's very difficult to do. If it is hitting 12psi it should stay steady at 12.

Not sure if this will help, but what I did was match the new wastegate arm length to the stock length, this ensured I was going to be at stock boot PSI.
Then, to make it easier to attach the arm to the nipple (its what I call it :D), I used a bike hand pump to put air in the diaphragm to make it easier to get the arm to reach the nipple.
I had my brother put air in the diaphragm with the pump while I was underneath putting the arm on the nipple.

Hmm, I did make it the same length as the stock one. Maybe I'm hitting boost cuts for a different reason. Prior to new installments, my car was tuned with a boost leaking fmic. Maybe now that it is a boost leak free fmic, that it's got these issues? Most ppl are saying I just need a tune

The ECU does not control boost, a tune will not change anything. It's the wastegate causing your issues, I think it has a spring inside it that is too stiff and runs higher boost.

Yeah, going to readjust The wastegate here in a few days. It's really been running lean ever since the new intercooler. Air/fuel ratios range from 13-17 during regular driving. Could the new fmic intercooler be throwing off my air/fuel ratios? My old fmic had quite a few leaks.

the ATP actuator is NOT adjustable... if you "adjusted" the rod, you loosened it!
the stock actuator is adjustable, however and the rod looks very different from the ATP one

if you had to "adjust" the rod to make it fit, you're installing it wrong!

Yeah, going to readjust The wastegate here in a few days. It's really been running lean ever since the new intercooler. Air/fuel ratios range from 13-17 during regular driving. Could the new fmic intercooler be throwing off my air/fuel ratios? My old fmic had quite a few leaks.

If you are crusing then those are normal AFRs, you only need to be concerned about your AFRs under boost. Trust me, an MSP on a stock tune is not going to be running lean.

Back