Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus vs Continental Truecontact

Tweezer

:
2015 CX-5 GT w/ tech pckg + remote start
Hi,
My 2015 CX-5 GT is now in the need of tires. The OEMs (Toyos) lasted just under 36k.
I think either of these should suffice. I am not a racecar driver, but do live in New England (snow/ice).
Just looking for something that will last longer than 30-40k and handle well all year (all seasons).

Any thoughts on these two (or any others)? I think the $150-$170 price range is reasonable.

Thank you!

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
225 /55 R19 99H SL BSW
700 AA
$156.52 discount tire
$167.55 TireRack

CONTINENTAL
TRUECONTACT
225/55R19 99H
800 AA
$168.60 TireRack

Take a look at General Altimax RT43. They're considerably cheaper and compare favorably to those two. General is owned by Continental and the RT43 has the proper Mazda-spec speed rating for the CX-5 whereas the Truecontact does not. Not sure about the Pirelli.

Both of those should get you more mileage than the OE equipment tires which aren't that great. I would vote for the Pirelli over the Conti in this case. Another option would be the Nitto 421Q. I have always been very happy with any Nitto that I have tried and I've used several. I'm originally from NY so am very familiar with snow/ice. Working at dealers we often did 2 steel wheels/snow tires on FWD or 4 on AWD applications. This is really good option for your area during those months. This is what I personally did to protect my rims and not have to sacrifice road noise, comfort and handling when picking a tire I would use the rest of the year. Tires are the single best overall upgrade you can do to your vehicle so it's money well spent. Nitrogen is also a great budget friendly option for optimal tire life and handling as most people never check tire pressures and sensors can allow fairly significant changes before warning you. Honda were I believe anything over 6 psi difference.

Also take into consideration the cost to mount/balance and alignment. Shop around to places that could get you the tires and install. Many even offer lifetime rotations and balances if bought and installed by them... Discount Tire is one of them (though they don't do Nitrogen).

Totally agree with what paris1 said. At 24.4 lbs General AltiMAX RT43 225/55R19 99H tire is the lightest in this size and has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure. For this particular size this RT43 is very similar to Continental TrueContact. Between Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus and Continental TrueContact I definitely would suggest TrueContact as it's lighter in weight and has higher maximum inflation pressure at 51 psi. See this thread with all available 19" tires for comparison:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

I had the P7 Cinturato on my 14 Mazda 6 previous to my CX-5. They are a fantastic tire and at 55k when I traded the 6 off-they still had great tread and evenly wore. I would buy them again no questions asked.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is an excellent tire. But sometimes we have to compare particular size for different application. For 225/55R19, Pirelli Cinturato P7 is heavier at 28 lbs and the maximum inflation pressure is lower at 44 psi comparing to Continental TrueContact. The OE Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

Pirelli Cinturato P7™ All Season Plus is an excellent tire. But sometimes we have to compare particular size for different application. For 225/55R19, Pirelli Cinturato P7 is heavier at 28 lbs and the maximum inflation pressure is lower at 44 psi comparing to Continental TrueContact. The OE Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

Handling characteristics may also be different. The Toyo's are stiff, but they corner well. Replacement CUV tires typically are softer. I've heard good things about the Michelin's, but they are more expensive.

Handling characteristics may also be different. The Toyo's are stiff, but they corner well. Replacement CUV tires typically are softer. I've heard good things about the Michelin's, but they are more expensive.
Above mentioned General AltiMAX RT43、Continental TrueContact、and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus all corner well according to customer reviews by Tire Rack. They are softer which compensate well with CX-5's firmer suspension. Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V is expensive、heavy at 27.34 lbs、and with lower maximum inflation pressure at 44 psi.

FYI, I went with the Pirelli's as they were in stock at town fair tire and I could get them same day.
We have a blizzard coming Tuesday dumping over a foot of snow so I needed to do something quick. Another TFT location had no 225/55/19 tires in stock at all.
Anyway, they were originally $201 but they matched Tire Rack and beat them by 5%.
$157.00 each. Total with tax out the door was $778.06.

FYI, I went with the Pirelli's as they were in stock at town fair tire and I could get them same day.
We have a blizzard coming Tuesday dumping over a foot of snow so I needed to do something quick. Another TFT location had no 225/55/19 tires in stock at all.
Anyway, they were originally $201 but they matched Tire Rack and beat them by 5%.
$157.00 each. Total with tax out the door was $778.06.
Yeah 225/55R19 is considered an odd size and selections are not many. Local tire shops have less interest to keep them in stock. Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is an excellent tire and you won't be disappointed. The only thing to watch is the tire pressure. Keep them at 36 psi cold and don't let the pressure running too high as the maximum inflation pressure is only at 44 psi.

Just curious, Discount Tire in our area can order any tires I want and usually gets them within a day. Can Town Fair Tire in your area do the same?

Yes, 1 day. However that would bring me to Monday.
Not a good day, and Tuesday storm.
I took what I could get.

Curious to hear your thoughts on Pirellis vs Toyos. My Cinturatos have been under my deck much longer than they were mounted on my 19s. Would've let them go for a song...oh well

Nitto 421q feedback: I've them on an AWD Kia Sorento and really liked their performance. And they *were* fairly quiet. No longer. At about 6/32nds, maybe 5/32nds, they have gotten really loud. They are wearing even across tread face, and have been rotated. There is no indication of an alignment problem; no scuffing on edges, or anything.

I need to check with the dealer and see if Nitto will do anything.

Back