2017 CX-5 Line-up Dealer info

CRV's cargo space is largely on paper and due to the squaring off of the back hatch. This isn't the most useful cargo area (it's the last place people place items), and it also results in the ungainly styling back there. As for recalls, the CR-V has had 3 since model year 2013, all serious - airbag issues, engine bolts and brake mechanism - though only one affects a large number of people. The cx-5 has also had about 3, though only one was potentially serious (fuel filler bolt) and affected a good number of folks.

Buy what you want, but stick to facts. You'll come across more level headed.
I have to say your facts are not entirely correct either. All reviews have been commented that Honda CR-V has the most useful space area and the most storage area. Based on NHTSA data I researched recently for all 2016 compact CUV/SUV in the US, I noticed 2016 CX-5 has the most number of recalls at 4 and the most number of complaints at 82! Mind you 2016 CX-5 sold about one-third of units comparing to top 4 selling CUVs, this number of complaints means very significantly percentage wise!

2016 US Top 10 Compact SUV/CUVs
NHTSA Data
Overall RatingsOverall Front Star RatingFront Driver SideFront Passenger SideRecallsComplaints2016 Sales
Honda CR-V5555145357,335
Toyota RAV45444250352,154
Nissan Rogue4443234329,904
Ford Escape4444054307,069
Chevrolet Equinox4454118242,195
Jeep Cherokee4444477199,736
Subaru Forester5454136178,593
Jeep Patriot4334125121,926
Mazda CX-54453482112,235
Jeep Renegade4444244106,606

Needed a new platform? You do realize the CRV is the best selling CUV in the states right? As a matter of fact its the best selling CUV of all time. It didn't need anything new it still would sell well. If Honda didn't redesign it for this model year and left it as it is it still would have outsold the 2017 CX-5 easily.

The CX-5 on the other hand is the one that needed an overhaul but didn't get one because Mazda doesn't have the money to develop new platforms, new engines or new transmission. Instead they continue with their 5 year old platform, engine and transmission and just give it some styling updates.

Right. So the fact that the previous gen CR-V will continue to sell well albeit in the US means its a very good car? So why does it perform so badly in automotive reviews worldwide? I guess it doesn't need any improvements in the new gen CR-V since it's so great right? As long as it sells well it must be a fantastic car and it makes you feel good you're amongst the bandwagon. Why does the CX-5 need an overhaul again? Is it because it is such an outdated and lousy platform? How old is the CR-V's platform again? It's like saying Mcdonald's sells more burgers than Hardee's from down the road because I'm sure their burgers are better.

Regarding cargo volume, not sure about the 2017, but the CR-V usually has a lower load floor, which is quite useful.
I've compared it to mine, and there is definitely more usable volume in the CR-V.

The CR-V has very good fuel economy, it seems, though a bit early to be sure. Interesting that Car&Driver compared it to the CX-5 AWD and found the CR-V AWD to get 32 MPG vs the CX-5's 30
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...r-v-fuel-economy-review-car-and-driver-page-3

For the 2017 CX-5 I am certainly unhappy with MPG going backward on the FWD version and staying essentially the same on the AWD version and with the continued lack of Android Auto. Hopefully they fixed the NHTSA front passenger scores.

People buy a CR-V because it is a safe bet, perceived reliable, good resale value, has great passenger volume and cargo volume, great handling and ride and gets best crash scores.
Of course, Honda also has more dealership presence in the US, which helps a lot. For example, my sister skipped on a Mazda because there was only 1 dealer in their area which she did not like.

When I bought mine, the CX-5 was a no-brainer decision. At the time, the CR-V was ugly and lackluster, up for a refresh and not even seriously considered. My CX-5 could be roughly 100 lb lighter than the 2017s and it might get better fuel economy with the same engine.
If I were to buy now, the lack of Android Auto would be a great detractor for me.
A friend at work has an Accord with Android Auto and he said he like it a lot, did not complain about any issue. I also use Android Auto on the phone, with Bluetooth to the speakers only, and it is pretty good and getting better all the time. Unlike my infotainment, which only got one fix applied to it, Android Auto is polished all the time, gets new features and fixes applied constantly and for free.

Right. So the fact that the previous gen CR-V will continue to sell well albeit in the US means its a very good car? So why does it perform so badly in automotive reviews worldwide? I guess it doesn't need any improvements in the new gen CR-V since it's so great right? As long as it sells well it must be a fantastic car and it makes you feel good you're amongst the bandwagon. Why does the CX-5 need an overhaul again? Is it because it is such an outdated and lousy platform? How old is the CR-V's platform again? It's like saying Mcdonald's sells more burgers than Hardee's from down the road because I'm sure their burgers are better.

Funny how you say the previous CRV 'performs so badly in automotive reviews' yet ended up winning Motor Trends SUV of the year?(it might even win it again) BTW you can find it in the 'Best SUVs' in nearly every auto website/magazine. And the reason they sell so well is due to Hondas reputation for reliability. You can see where Mazda's reliability stands by looking at chart above.

Blablabla Storage. The CR-V holds two more bags of groceries. Lol. That's not why CRVs outsell everybody else. Some of you make it sound like the CR-V has 2x the space.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8af3cd80c1cfbed15573a17465b37f6b.jpg

"A rose between 2 thorns" 👍

"A rose between 2 thorns" 👍

Those are pre-refresh CR-Vs, which were sold until 2014 and came with a 5 speed AT transmission. The rear looks especially ugly. In 2015 Honda did a refresh, which looked better and added a CVT. The 2017s look even better and are better in many ways.

Yea, i know. And they're everywhere was more of my point. One of the reasons I drove Saabs for years. I don't see them everywhere. I like not seeing my car everywhere. I have yet to park next to a Jet Black GT.

Those are pre-refresh CR-Vs, which were sold until 2014 and came with a 5 speed AT transmission. The rear looks especially ugly. In 2015 Honda did a refresh, which looked better and added a CVT. The 2017s look even better and are better in many ways.

"Looks better" is a subjective term - I personally don't think the CR-V, Rouge or Rav 4 are attractive in any way. The rear of the CX-5 does not do much for me either but I find the overall package to be better than the others.

It's completely subjective, but I think the 17 CR-V's aren't much better. Lots of added chrome to distract from the squared off hatch. That's my opinion of current Honda's in general - busy and cluttered.

If I were to buy now, the lack of Android Auto would be a great detractor for me.
A friend at work has an Accord with Android Auto and he said he like it a lot, did not complain about any issue. I also use Android Auto on the phone, with Bluetooth to the speakers only, and it is pretty good and getting better all the time. Unlike my infotainment, which only got one fix applied to it, Android Auto is polished all the time, gets new features and fixes applied constantly and for free.

To add insult to injury, not only does Mazda not offer Android Auto or CarPlay, they stripped away the ability to easily add either with a double-DIN headunit swap. They opted to replace it with the featureless proprietary tablet thing on the dash.

Funny how you say the previous CRV 'performs so badly in automotive reviews' yet ended up winning Motor Trends SUV of the year?(it might even win it again) BTW you can find it in the 'Best SUVs' in nearly every auto website/magazine. And the reason they sell so well is due to Hondas reputation for reliability. You can see where Mazda's reliability stands by looking at chart above.

Best SUV, is that in the USA or globally? Nice of you to pick one article out of a thousand. And where does the CX-5 rank in the best SUV GLOBALLY? Honda's reputation and reliability? Yes they used to be good in the 80s and 90s but globally they've seen as going backwards in terms of innovation and technology and hence reputation. Yes I get it, you guys in the US love your Hondas. It's popular just like how the rest of the world mock the junk quality coming from the ever popular Chevy, Dodge etc. At least wait until the 2017 CX-5 comes out and is compared to before declaring why the CR-V is the winner. I am sure there wouldn't be much in it and will probably come down to the preference of even the reviewer himself.

...more alternative facts. I just looked up MT's SUV of the year. In 2017, the CR-V is not even a contender. Here are the finalists:
Audi Q7
GMC Acadia All Terrain
Jaguar F-Pace
Mazda CX-9
Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class
Tesla Model X

2016: It's... the Volvo XC90.

2015: Oh, there we go. In 2015, it was the CR-V. So you're right, it was MT's SUV of the year... 3 years and one different platform ago.

What's interesting is I'm trying to find the last year they even threw the CX-5 into the mix. Looks like they did in 2012 when it was brand new. The winner that year, the Mercedes GL! It's an odd matchup to say the least.

EDIT: Here's something amusing, MT did a more logical comparison last year of same class vehicles, crossovers. #1... the CX-5! http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2016/small-crossover-comparison-big-test/

But since I don't want to be handing out my own alternative facts, I will point out that it compares the 2016.5 CX-5 and the 2016 CR-V.

Last edited:
And, of course it's fine, healthy even, to discuss our competitors. But trashing our cars? That's just being a troll. Some, not all of you, are acting like you just can't believe any one buys anything that's not a CR-V. Still no replies on why the smaller much less reliable Jeep is such a great seller.

...more alternative facts. I just looked up MT's SUV of the year. In 2017, the CR-V is not even a contender. Here are the finalists:
Audi Q7
GMC Acadia All Terrain
Jaguar F-Pace
Mazda CX-9
Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class
Tesla Model X

2016: It's... the Volvo XC90.

2015: Oh, there we go. In 2015, it was the CR-V. So you're right, it was MT's SUV of the year... 3 years and one different platform ago.

What's interesting is I'm trying to find the last year they even threw the CX-5 into the mix. Looks like they did in 2012 when it was brand new. The winner that year, the Mercedes GL! It's an odd matchup to say the least.

EDIT: Here's something amusing, MT did a more logical comparison last year of same class vehicles, crossovers. #1... the CX-5! http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2016/small-crossover-comparison-big-test/

But since I don't want to be handing out my own alternative facts, I will point out that it compares the 2016.5 CX-5 and the 2016 CR-V.

What alternative facts? It is a fact that it won is it not? Who cares if it is a 2015? The 2015 and 2016 are essentially the same vehicle so its not going to win another award if its the same as the previous year. Also for 2017, keep in mind the CRV has only been out 3 months. Those other CUV's you posted have been out for a full year already, so its no surprise it didn't make the list.

One other thing to note, Car and Driver magazine awarded the 2017 Honda CRV best SUV in it's class:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-compact-suv-honda-cr-v-2017-10best-trucks-and-suvs

The 2017 CR-V gets so many things right that it’s hard to imagine a more well-rounded package. We welcome any vehicle that might prove us wrong, but if this Honda represents the zenith of the compact crossover SUV, well, we could certainly live with that.

Very unlikely the 2017 CX-5 wins any awards as its essentially the same car with a couple of extra options. That and an extra 2HP.

Last edited:

Nice find:
"Another crossover often overlooked by consumers is the winner of our last compact crossover comparison test, the 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. Mazda updated the fun-to-drive crossover in the middle of this year (hence the .5) with more standard equipment while retaining the loveable disposition we’ve come to know and love over the past couple years."

Very unlikely the 2017 CX-5 wins any awards as its essentially the same car with a couple of extra options. That and an extra 2HP.

Why are you here still? Go take your trolling and obsession with the CRV/minivan lookalike elsewhere. Both vehicles have their pros and cons. You picked the CRV and that is totally fine. But, no need to come here and continuously dog the CX5. What's worse is your comparing a brand new remodeled vehicle against older CX5s, when the new one is suppose to be coming out this month.

What alternative facts? It is a fact that it won is it not? Who cares if it is a 2015? The 2015 and 2016 are essentially the same vehicle so its not going to win another award if its the same as the previous year. Also for 2017, keep in mind the CRV has only been out 3 months. Those other CUV's you posted have been out for a full year already, so its no surprise it didn't make the list.

One other thing to note, Car and Driver magazine awarded the 2017 Honda CRV best SUV in it's class:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/best-compact-suv-honda-cr-v-2017-10best-trucks-and-suvs

Hey, you're the one that brought up Motor Trend. I just brought out the context to your statement.

MT "xxx of the year" are all over the place to the point it's not very relevant. And it's a little goofy to compare a Mercedes to something like the CX-5 or CR-V. The more useful comparison by them was the one I linked to.

Feel good about your purchase. It's okay. You can move on to other things now. You don't need to try and convince this internet forum of anything.

2017 CRV wasn't in mt oty testing as it came out too late. CX5 hasn't been included since year 1 when it was limited to the 2l only. This year's test should be interesting as they will both be there, fresh and ready for battle-finalists almost a lock for both.

Back