2017 CX-5 Line-up Dealer info

Should we keep tearing this ridiculous comparison down?

CX5 has an audio mute button. Right by your hand. Freaking brilliance in my opinion. I've never had a car with a mute. Backseat passenger says something. *tap* What?

Re: door handles. Is the button a bad design? Sure, it's easier to just pull open and I know just how convenient that is...My Volvo has it AND a button. I like the button, on both cars. On both you can lock or unlock all the doors with the button. Not need to use a fob. I lock the doors with the button on the Volvo all the time.
No need to do that on the Mazda though. I just....Walk away. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
well 2017 CRV it is officially. CRV has loads more features. Handling is on par with the CX5 per reviews. The CVT is the best CVT per reviews and doesn't suffer from the usual CVT undertakings. But mostly because of all the features included. CRV is so much more high tech and with the times. The full LED instrument cluster is beautiful roomier interior both in the front and back seats. Remote start standard, again the tech features makes the 2017 CX5 look like it was left behind 5 years ago. The CX5 is beautiful vehicle though, but can't justify a purchase merely on looks.

Code:

Wise choice, I love mine(AWD Touring). Just remember to get an extended warranty(they're cheap under 1k) due to all the tech+turbo.

The CRV wins in the categories most care about:

-Honda reliability
-Better MPG
-More cargo capacity

Also the CRV rides on a new platform, new engine and new transmission. It really is a brand new car. The CX-5 on the other hand just carries a bunch of stuff from the old model with some exterior/interior styling updates and a couple of additional features like a power liftgate and maybe a HUD display. If I'm spending 30k on a car I want it to be a NEW car not a car that carries over a bunch of crap from the previous generation.

Then why did you buy a CX5?

-Honda reliability
-Better MPG
-More cargo capacity

Also the CRV rides on a new platform, new engine and new transmission. It really is a brand new car. The CX-5 on the other hand just carries a bunch of stuff from the old model with some exterior/interior styling updates and a couple of additional features like a power liftgate and maybe a HUD display. If I'm spending 30k on a car I want it to be a NEW car not a car that carries over a bunch of crap from the previous generation.

So you want to buy cars that are refreshed, taking the risk of recalls etc. not sure that is smart, also that limits your car buying to something like leap years because most manufacturers only refresh once every 4 years.

And finally on pricing - feature to feature the CX5 will come out 3 grand cheaper than Honda - there is no question about it. If you love that fake wood trim so bad, you want to spend 3k more on it have fun. I am sure you can google Honda forums.

well 2017 CRV it is officially. CRV has loads more features. Handling is on par with the CX5 per reviews. The CVT is the best CVT per reviews and doesn't suffer from the usual CVT undertakings. But mostly because of all the features included. CRV is so much more high tech and with the times. The full LED instrument cluster is beautiful roomier interior both in the front and back seats. Remote start standard, again the tech features makes the 2017 CX5 look like it was left behind 5 years ago. The CX5 is beautiful vehicle though, but can't justify a purchase merely on looks.

This comment reminds me of all CVT descriptions which start with "But this CVT is not that bad" - always on the defensive lol. CX5s transmission is one of the reasons it feels great. I dont think the CVT will match up to it in any case. As rightly pointed out only CUVs with better mileage are CVT based ones.

-Honda reliability
-Better MPG
-More cargo capacity

The CR-V needed a new platform because it was relatively outdated and needed it to at least come to par with the rest of the competition. The CX-5 on the other hand is already a solid and successful platform worldwide and hence only needed some further improvements and to not entirely change a successful formula.

So you want to buy cars that are refreshed, taking the risk of recalls etc. not sure that is smart, also that limits your car buying to something like leap years because most manufacturers only refresh once every 4 years.

And finally on pricing - feature to feature the CX5 will come out 3 grand cheaper than Honda - there is no question about it. If you love that fake wood trim so bad, you want to spend 3k more on it have fun. I am sure you can google Honda forums.

Your last point is something that is lost on most people. The CX-5 is still much cheaper than a CR-V. You are talking close to 36K+ tax for a top of the line AWD CR-V. Sure you get a remote start included but even with a $500 charge on the CX-5, the CX-5 is still cheaper.

The CRV wins in the categories I care about:

-Honda reliability
-Better MPG
-More cargo capacity

Fixed.
I do love how people make these generalizations. This guy knows why people buy cars!
So, of those 3 things, #1 and #3 were true last year. MPG was so close as to be negligible. And yet: Mazda still sold some cars in this segment. Not only that, the CX5 became the #1 selling vehcile in Mazda's lineup and the #1 selling CUV in AUS for I believe 3 straight years now. In AUS, the CRV is like 6th or 7th. How is that possible?
And how did Nissan manage to shatter sales records? How did the MUCH less reliable Jeep Cherokee go on to become Jeeps' best selling CUV?

and maybe a HUD display.

And maybe a HUD display. It has been confirmed that is coming to the US. I don't claim to know the car buying public as well as you. But I bet that feature alone will move at least 100's of CX5's.
I do know MPG isn't high on people lists as of last year. And storage? I bet storage is not a reason at all for anyone to choose a CRV over...anything. So some love to say around here, the CX5 is a grocery getter, right? The extra 2 sq ft of storage in the CRV isn't a deal breaker for 99.99% of people. Not to mention with that extra storage you get LESS backseat legroom then you get in the CX5.

If I'm spending 30k on a car I want it to be a NEW car not a car that carries over a bunch of crap from the previous generation.
Which CX5 do you have?

The CR-V needed a new platform because it was relatively outdated and needed it to at least come to par with the rest of the competition. The CX-5 on the other hand is already a solid and successful platform worldwide and hence only needed some further improvements and to not entirely change a successful formula.

Needed a new platform? You do realize the CRV is the best selling CUV in the states right? As a matter of fact its the best selling CUV of all time. It didn't need anything new it still would sell well. If Honda didn't redesign it for this model year and left it as it is it still would have outsold the 2017 CX-5 easily.

The CX-5 on the other hand is the one that needed an overhaul but didn't get one because Mazda doesn't have the money to develop new platforms, new engines or new transmission. Instead they continue with their 5 year old platform, engine and transmission and just give it some styling updates.

Last edited:
Fixed.
I do love how people make these generalizations. This guy knows why people buy cars!
So, of those 3 things, #1 and #3 were true last year. MPG was so close as to be negligible. And yet: Mazda still sold some cars in this segment. Not only that, the CX5 became the #1 selling vehcile in Mazda's lineup and the #1 selling CUV in AUS for I believe 3 straight years now. In AUS, the CRV is like 6th or 7th. How is that possible?
And how did Nissan manage to shatter sales records? How did the MUCH less reliable Jeep Cherokee go on to become Jeeps' best selling CUV?

And maybe a HUD display. It has been confirmed that is coming to the US. I don't claim to know the car buying public as well as you. But I bet that feature alone will move at least 100's of CX5's.
I do know MPG isn't high on people lists as of last year. And storage? I bet storage is not a reason at all for anyone to choose a CRV over...anything. So some love to say around here, the CX5 is a grocery getter, right? The extra 2 sq ft of storage in the CRV isn't a deal breaker for 99.99% of people. Not to mention with that extra storage you get LESS backseat legroom then you get in the CX5.

Which CX5 do you have?

You can Google why people buy SUV's and the #1 reason is cargo space. So NO, its not just things I care about but many others do also. They also want something reliable and Honda's are known for their reliability. How many recalls has the CX-5 had so far? How many cracked windshields? That and its smaller engine allows for better MPG AND more HP than the CX-5.

Wow a HUD display. So useful(whistle). And yet no Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Have fun being stuck with Mazda's crappy Nav system that will be obsolete in 2 years. BTW, the new CRV has more legroom than any of its competitors(including the CX-5) and is destined to win many awards this year.

Last edited:
You can Google why people buy SUV's and the #1 reason is cargo space.
I have Googles. That is not #1.

Wow a HUD display. So useful(whistle). And yet no Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Have fun being stuck with Mazda's crappy Nav system that will be obsolete in 2 years. BTW, the new CRV has more legroom than any of its competitors(including the CX-5) and is destined to win many awards this year.

And yet, people will buy it for that reason alone since not one other competitor has it.

Does this guy/gal have stock in Honda or something? lol Good lord. The crv really gets them excited. I'm glad they can speak for everyone on what is priority in a CUV. Btw, cargo space wasn't even in the top 3 reason why I bought the CX5.

He hasn't driven either. He has a 3. Wonder why he bought a 3 when the Civic is so clearly superior?

You can Google why people buy SUV's and the #1 reason is cargo space. So NO, its not just things I care about but many others do also. They also want something reliable and Honda's are known for their reliability. How many recalls has the CX-5 had so far? How many cracked windshields? That and its smaller engine allows for better MPG AND more HP than the CX-5.

CRV's cargo space is largely on paper and due to the squaring off of the back hatch. This isn't the most useful cargo area (it's the last place people place items), and it also results in the ungainly styling back there. As for recalls, the CR-V has had 3 since model year 2013, all serious - airbag issues, engine bolts and brake mechanism - though only one affects a large number of people. The cx-5 has also had about 3, though only one was potentially serious (fuel filler bolt) and affected a good number of folks.

Buy what you want, but stick to facts. You'll come across more level headed.

Does this guy/gal have stock in Honda or something? lol Good lord. The crv really gets them excited. I'm glad they can speak for everyone on what is priority in a CUV. Btw, cargo space wasn't even in the top 3 reason why I bought the CX5.

I own a new CRV and an 05 Mazda.(headbang)

I own a new CRV and an 05 Mazda.(headbang)

Well you're hardly going to admit you bought a pup then are you. The new CRV is very nice but I'd rather have a big naturally aspirated engine that has nothing to do than a little highly blown engine that is getting its arse kicked and while CVTs are getting better, they are not in the same street as a conventional 6 speed auto. Glad you like your new car but shouldn't you be gushing over it on the CRV forum?

Back