2017 CX-5 Manual Transmission

Was really hoping for somebody to say the information I received was wrong. So my choices are:

1) wait for official info directly from the mazdausa newsroom site
2) wait for the 2.2 diesel and see if it that one will come with a MT
3) get a 2016 Sport with MT
Get a Sport 16.5. Get it now. Dealer was not lying to you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've used the manual mode maybe once or twice. No satisfaction at all with it.

There is absolutely no way you can get best awd performance by leaving the car in "d". It's not possible. Even if you pull the 50amp dsc fuse and 50/50 is on, you still have to downshift manually to maximize grip especially in cornering

Get a Sport 16.5. Get it now. Dealer was not lying to you.

That's right. Now that we know the 2017 Mazda offering will NOT include Android Auto or CarPlay, it even makes even more sense.

A 2016 (or 2016.5) Manual Sport with good aftermarket infotainment and if you want, Katzkin leather, could be quite satisfying for about $25K-$26K total investment. The CX-5 custom Katzkins (on their site) with the perforated panels and alcantera (suedeskin) wings look really nice.

Really ot here guys discussing paddle shifting. OP does not want paddles.
Move along.

*Snicker

There is absolutely no way you can get best awd performance by leaving the car in "d". It's not possible. Even if you pull the 50amp dsc fuse and 50/50 is on, you still have to downshift manually to maximize grip especially in cornering

True. I think that's where the Sport mode is really beneficial in the 16 cx5. I'm not doing any special cornering though where I need to drop it into manual mode. I just like to take corners sharp and it is just really fun in this car.

Does the 2016.5 manual come with bluetooth that allows you to talk on your phone hands free?
I'm sorry everyone else seems to be ignoring you. ;)

Yes, BT handsfree is a standard feature on all trim levels.

Thanks for the great screenshot! Some nice tidbits of info there...

My gut feeling is that in USA, the manual will be offered with the DIESEL option.

If Santa can bring me anything for Christmas next year I REALLY want it to be a CX5 diesel with a manual tranny. SO I hope you're right!!

Front or AWD is fine (though I'd imagine they'll just go AWD).

Even better if they announce they're bringing over the Mazda 6 wagon and throwing a diesel and stick in it too.

That's right. Now that we know the 2017 Mazda offering will NOT include Android Auto or CarPlay, it even makes even more sense.

A 2016 (or 2016.5) Manual Sport with good aftermarket infotainment and if you want, Katzkin leather, could be quite satisfying for about $25K-$26K total investment. The CX-5 custom Katzkins (on their site) with the perforated panels and alcantera (suedeskin) wings look really nice.

So if I have to get a 2016.5 to get MT, is it possible to add the MazdaConnect and backup camera at the dealership? Or go with aftermarket.

Actually, I use it all the time. But in no way is it a manual.
Exactly!

However, the SKYACTIV automatics REV-MATCHING when down shifting, the SPORT MODE, and the instantaneous availability of shifting via the optional paddle shifters, sure make it a lot more fun than the other manufacturers typical automatic trans.

Some of us absolutely LOVE the clutch, and never want to drive anything but a Manual transmission vehicle, however we are forced for various reasons to give up that third pedal. The Skyactiv Auto trans is the best compromise transmission I have come across in a sub $30k vehicle.

I've used the manual mode maybe once or twice. No satisfaction at all with it.

I use it here and there, mainly on secondary roads. Problem is every once in a while I go into total brain fart mode and forget which direction is + or -

So there have been a few times when I've meant to go from 2nd --> 3rd and ended up going down into 1st, and basically redlining it... and looking like an idiot for hammering down into 1st gear for no reason what-so-ever.

This has also happened when slowing down for a stop sign in manual mode. The car will automatically shift down one gear and I'll make the same gear change within a second later (unknowing the car is going to shift for me), so the CX5 will go from 3rd gear to 1st in just about no time at all. Only way to prevent this is to actively shift down into a lower gear before the RPMs get too low... but "whatever is too low" means for the car is unknown to me. Mazda should be able to prevent that though, by making sure the shifting algorithm doesn't allow two gear shifts within x amount of time.

Ha!

Having said that, still one of the best Auto Trannys I've ever driven.

Exactly!

However, the SKYACTIV automatics REV-MATCHING when down shifting, the SPORT MODE, and the instantaneous availability of shifting via the optional paddle shifters, sure make it a lot more fun than the other manufacturers typical automatic trans.

Some of us absolutely LOVE the clutch, and never want to drive anything but a Manual transmission vehicle, however we are forced for various reasons to give up that third pedal. The Skyactiv Auto trans is the best compromise transmission I have come across in a sub $30k vehicle.

Agreed. There are lots of traffic circles were I live and I like dropping to manual mode when coming in an out of them.

I agree, I think that's what also makes me the manual mode less appealing to me. The fantastic auto trans. It really is one of the best I've driven. I think putting it into sport mode makes a huge difference as well.

It's the little things like this that make the CX5 so appealing and why I assume many of us here chose it to be our own. It doesn't have all the gadgets and gizmos but it has that almost perfect driving feeling that just makes you want to drive. Not flip switches, talk to your car, adjust your seat 10 different ways. But just drive. And that's why I can appreciate the OPs desire to have a manual. To further enhance that driving experience.

Hello, I got a new 2016.5 sport with MT yesterday. Getting familiar with it, so far seems that it's easier to do a rolling stop in 2nd gear than in my old passat. Just one question, I feel like the car is floating and not as firm as my vw. I though the ride would be firmer.

Hello, I got a new 2016.5 sport with MT yesterday. Getting familiar with it, so far seems that it's easier to do a rolling stop in 2nd gear than in my old passat. Just one question, I feel like the car is floating and not as firm as my vw. I though the ride would be firmer.
What Kind of VW? Check your tire pressure first and they should in 34 ~ 36 psi cold.

And congrats for your new manual CX-5!

I had a 2002 WV Passat Wagon 1.8T with MT. Will check the tire pressure on the CX-5. Thanks for the advice.

I had a 2002 WV Passat Wagon 1.8T with MT. Will check the tire pressure on the CX-5. Thanks for the advice.
I have a 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6 with 5-speed manual. US version Passat actually has tuned with softer ride for US customers. Comparing my two the CX-5 is as firm, if not firmer, as Passat's ride although I have a CX-5 GT with 19" wheels.

Back