Mazda USA photo mix-up?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
So, I've been checking the Mazda USA website for new information on the 2017 CX-5. I'm actually leaning toward a 2016.5, but I'm waiting for more information to drop on the 2017 before I make a final decision. Plus, hopefully the prices on the 2016s will drop the same time information on the 2017s come out.

Anyway, I was looking at the pictures on the website and noticed this one.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/eqCa2"><a href="//imgur.com/eqCa2"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now....I'm a huge fan of a manual transmissions...but do you see what's wrong with this image? Dual climate control? 2016 style center console? 2016 infotainment? Leather seats!?!?! Either Mazda is secretly making manual transmissions in higher trim levels and teasing us on the USA webpage, or this is a weird mistake. Maybe this is a picture meant for an overseas market? Anyway, caught my eye and I thought I'd share.

Hopefully we'll know soon the following on the 2017

1) Manual transmission with 2.5 engine?
2) Higher / lower ground clearance than a 2016?
3) Android Auto?

Link to where the photo came from.... https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/gallery

I think I should march down to my dealership and DEMAND a manual transmission CX-5 with leather seats and dual climate control....otherwise it's false advertising!!!!! Who wants to join me on a class action suit!!!! :p

I think I should march down to my dealership and DEMAND a manual transmission CX-5 with leather seats and dual climate control....otherwise it's false advertising!!!!! Who wants to join me on a class action suit!!!! :p

I seriously wonder if you wouldn't get something out of the deal.
Or if they have a

*Actual product may vary from images shown

somewhere hiding...

What is it you're looking for here? And what makes you think that's part of the refresh?

Could you get a manual GT in Japan? Could it be a Japanese CX5?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What is it you're looking for here? And what makes you think that's part of the refresh?

At the LA Auto show some of the people covering the unveiling of the 2017 mentioned that the new style was "Lower". Also the Mazda press release noted "A lower center of gravity"...Now, 2hether this means a loss in ground clearance, roof-line, or something else to achieve this is what I"m wondering. One of the main reasons I like the CX-5 is that it has very good ground clearance (nearly as high as a Forester). If they drop it down to RAV4 / CR-V territory...around 6" instead of 8" then I wouldn't want a 2017. If they keep it the same, then I might be more interested in the 2017 model.

Could you get a manual GT in Japan? Could it be a Japanese CX5?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't think it is as the arm rest is set-up for driving on the right side of the car. Looking at pictures from Japan, the cubby slot and cup holders are reversed for right hand drive cars. This probably is an image for some other market where they drive on the right side of the road, like in the USA.

At the LA Auto show some of the people covering the unveiling of the 2017 mentioned that the new style was "Lower". Also the Mazda press release noted "A lower center of gravity"...Now, 2hether this means a loss in ground clearance, roof-line, or something else to achieve this is what I"m wondering. One of the main reasons I like the CX-5 is that it has very good ground clearance (nearly as high as a Forester). If they drop it down to RAV4 / CR-V territory...around 6" instead of 8" then I wouldn't want a 2017. If they keep it the same, then I might be more interested in the 2017 model.

I've never looked, but are you serious? Is the CRV only 6"?
Screw that/ Buy a WRX.

Looking at Consumer Reports (who consistently measure ground clearance the same way across vehicles for comparison), this is what you get (note, they use a full loaded car for the measurement and round to the nearest 0.5"

Forester = 7"
CX-5 = 7"
CR-V = 5.5"
RAV4 = 5.5"

Again, I know "official" numbers from the manufactures may be different, but I wanted to get the numbers from an independent source as sometimes car companies can be a bit tricky with the numbers. Also, I know the CX-5 isn't as good of an off-road car due to approach angles, but it's angles are actually very similar to a Subaru Outback...and everything thinks those do well off-road, so I don't think there's too much of an issue there.

Edit: Oh, the new 2017 CR-V put there ground clearance number at 8.2"...up from 6.7" (official Honda numbers). Consumer Reports has the 2016 listed on their site...so I guess there was a bit of a change with the new CR-Vs. Still can't stand CVTs though, so I'm not looking at CR-Vs.

Last edited:
In case you're wondering, the official numbers from each of the manufactures are as follows.....

Forester (2017) 8.7"
CX-5 (2016) 8.5"
CR-V (2017) 8.2" (2016) 6.7"
RAV4 (2017) 6.1"

Compared with Consumer Reports Numbers with fully loaded cars.
Forester (2016) = 7"
CX-5 (2016) = 7"
CR-V (2016) = 5.5"
RAV4 (2016) = 5.5"

The picture with the manual transmission must be non-USA since the temperature are shown in Celsius. Other picture with the auto climate has Fahrenheit.

Back