Help!!

Lisa27

:
Mazda 5 ts2
I recently bought a mazda 5 on a budget a 2005 one.
I'm just wondering if i have bought trouble. I've got someone to attract it to diagnostic machine and got multiple problems which 2 I knew would need sorting, however I'm wondering if it's more hassle than its worth or it just looks a lot and just interlinked.
The codes I have are..
U0100-missing can message from PCM-intermittent
U0131-communications fault power steering unit eps-intermittent
C1099-power steering motor malfuntion-intermittent
C1145-speed wheel sensor circuit failure-permanent
P0303-cylinder misfire-intermittent
B1318- low battery-intermittent

Last edited:
I assume before you bought the vehicle, you test drove it.... and it runs fine? Did you ever lose power steering? What other lights do you see flash on/off on the dash? It sounds like a network communications issue between the main computer (PCM) and power steering system. Or the power steering system is failing. That's probably what the first 3 codes are about. I did some searching and saw where one guy fixed it his mazda 3:

"I took off the bumper and windshield washer reservoir to take a look at the pump to see what was up.
As soon as i took it off, i saw right away that one of the wires going to the pump had been slowly rubbing up against the reservoir, and eventually was cut in half. So i stripped it down, soldered it back together, started the car and voila!"

Hopefully you know someone with electrical troubleshooting experience. Otherwise the dealer may charge large diagnostic fees. My opinion is that the other codes maybe unrelated.
C1145 - bad right front wheel speed sensor, or wiring going to it. no ABS until its fixed. If you deal with a lot of snow/ice weather than this is important.
P0303 - problem on engine cylinder #3. switch spark plugs around with another cylinder and see if the code follows.
B1318 - change batteries in your key fob

Last edited:
Thanks!!
It was test drove and ran fine just a slight miss fire at revs under 1500 which I think is the spark plugs on cylinder 3..... the power steering isnt working, ive read that its a common fault on mazda 5 amd mazda 3s anyway and not a major issue.
The lights it's displaying are the engine light and and abs light.
I think the network communications fault is the main issue but not sure if they are just due to the other things wrong.

C1145 - bad right front wheel speed sensor, or wiring going to it. I'm wondering if this is something that's simple that's causing the steering and communication problems in the first place?.
P0303 - problem on engine cylinder #3. switch spark plugs around with another cylinder and see if the code follows. This is one of first things I'm going to try a easy fix if that's all it is.
B1318 - I've put the battery on charge I think that is the issue as it was highlighted for abs and airbags so I assume it's the cars battery.

My thinking is its properly needing,
good charge
spark plug or coil pack
A power steering motor/pump

It's the communications bit that could be inexpensive or very expensive I think?

If your power steering pump/system is failing then that explains/solves the communications issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... the power steering isnt working, ive read that its a common fault on mazda 5 amd mazda 3s anyway and not a major issue.

Not a major issue? Do you have a spare power steering pump laying around? When mine went, the dealership wanted something like $1500 to fix it. I forced them to find a used one and the bill still came in at close to $900.

When she said that I assumed the British pound is like 1 to 10 ratio :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before buying the car I asked round local scrap yards and on a websites the most expensive one came back was 350.. with an odd one 650 on eBay from other countries. If your buying new at a main dealership ect then you would be looking that sort of price including labour ect..

Before buying the car I asked round local scrap yards and on a websites the most expensive one came back was 350.. with an odd one 650 on eBay from other countries. If your buying new at a main dealership ect then you would be looking that sort of price including labour ect..

Oh ya for sure... are you able to do this yourself? If so, great!

Latest posts

Back