Key fob or battery problem? 2015 Touring 2WD

You highlighted the wrong part of my post.
"I bet walk away to lock has something to do with not so great battery life in the fob"

How does the car know you are leaving it? I shut the car off, and walk away and the doors lock. There could be some type of passive transmission going on.

I highlighted the correct part, the part I was commenting on.

How does the car know you're walking away? Easy, the system transmits for a short amount of time (30 seconds or whatever) and then times out.

But it doesn't time out. I've sat in the car for much longer then 30 seconds.
Unless... it operates on the door opening and closing. Hmmmm. This requires some testing. lol

#nerd

Be sure to let us in on your findings.

Enquiring minds and all that.

But it doesn't time out. I've sat in the car for much longer then 30 seconds.
Unless... it operates on the door opening and closing. Hmmmm. This requires some testing. lol

#nerd
I know from testing, that opening the door causes the computer to do certain things. When I turn off the car (shut down the engine), I can still adjust the position of the driver side window with the ignition off, but if I open the door, the window will not move.

OK, so last night I set the fob on the roof while taking the trash out. Got in the car. Started it. Got out. Put fob on roof. Buddy pulls in the driveway. We talk for a few minutes. I go back in the house.
Notice what I did not do? Remember what the hell I was doing.
Drive my son to school this morning. Get back home. Get out of car..... I see my key on the roof. O M G. A-MAZING! It is just over 2 miles to school.

2nd test. Get to work. Step out of car. Car beeps. Stand next to car door. Around 30 seconds later: *BEEP*
So, yea... if you don't walk away AND have walk away turned on, it autolocks after like 30 seconds.

Key Fob

Put fob on roof.

Drive my son to school this morning.
Get back home.
Get out of car..... I see my key on the roof. O M G. A-MAZING! It is just over 2 miles to school.
You're so lucky not losing your key fob from the roof. You must have been driving slowly which saved you $200 for a replacement and reprogramming. (boom08)

OK, so last night I set the fob on the roof while taking the trash out. Got in the car. Started it. Got out. Put fob on roof. Buddy pulls in the driveway. We talk for a few minutes. I go back in the house.
Notice what I did not do? Remember what the hell I was doing.
Drive my son to school this morning. Get back home. Get out of car..... I see my key on the roof. O M G. A-MAZING! It is just over 2 miles to school.

2nd test. Get to work. Step out of car. Car beeps. Stand next to car door. Around 30 seconds later: *BEEP*
So, yea... if you don't walk away AND have walk away turned on, it autolocks after like 30 seconds.

You were lucky!

I wonder what kind of a beep you would have heard (if any) if the key had fallen off the roof while you were driving?

LOL. None, because I had the other key with me.
I can't believe how lucky I was...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back