MSP engine build

Brooksie

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
This is my 1st thread so feel free to throw suggestions as I am still new to these cars.
So I am rebuilding the engine with k1 rods and wiseco pistons. Unfortunately we were on such a strict time line I haven't been able to take as many photos as I wanted but I have some video. We are military and we have literally had no time during the week to work on it.

So The goal as far as power....

We want 14psi eventually. I am sure the new internals can handle it. Never used anything other than megasquirt so I will be going into the tuning blind almost so I will need help on that one. It will be painted black over the summer after we get all the body panels. Car will be in Wisconsin for the remainder of its life but we are taking precautions for the salt so it doesn't rust away.
This car needs a lot of work but it was a good running car for 2200 bucks before bad maintenance ruined the engine.We are going to spend a lot of money on this car. A lot more than we should, but anyway here it is.
IMG_0154 (800x600).jpg
Cons. NEEDS PAINT. Needs new front bumper and trunk. Fenders need to be rolled (no biggie). Broken boost gauge. And its so squeaky. (I can deal bc its not a dd)
Mods
FMIC
Tein S techs with brand new struts
Hard pipes
Turbosmart BOV
Larger radiator
Some fart cannon but its got 2.5 inch pipe back from the j pipe.

So we pulled the engine friday Feb 17 2017.
Every rod bearing was spun when we pulled it apart. However the crank was good so its off at the machine shop now. Apparently it mic'd out to factory specs and only needed to be polished. The head is also at the shop getting reworked.

As of Feb 28 2017 all parts are on order. The rods and pistons have been assembled. The rings have been gapped and installed. The block has been cleaned and honed. I have random videos of us pulling it and of some of the breakdown and consequential mess that we made but all is in good order and soon to be in a sterile environment for reassembly. I will update as we make more progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0155 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0155 (800x600).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0157 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0157 (800x600).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 179
You can use megasquirt on the MSP but it is very old software, I would suggest a Haltec standalone. As for the squeaky suspension, new front and rear sway bar bushings properly lubed will more than likely quiet the noises. 14psi is nothing for a forged motor and T25, I would suggest upgrading to a T28 and running at least 14-16lbs.

I would consider running a standalone in the future. I would just have no idea how to work a haltec. As far as megasquirt is was pnp3 on a miata so it was not too difficult to figure out and I had help from literally everybody and their grandma. I was hoping I could force 14 out of afc. I actually have new bushings on order as well.

The boost pressure has nothing to do with the AFC, you can run as much as you want as long as your injectors and pump can handle it.

The boost pressure has nothing to do with the AFC, you can run as much as you want as long as your injectors and pump can handle it.

Well I was under the impression that the afc can only handle so much boost due to providing a proper afr. But you have mentioned before the ss afc. I have only seen maps up to 14psi.

Last edited:
The graphs in the AFC go up to 16psi, there were several people running 14psi but that is just a coincidence. The AFC can tune the car up to 16, fueling should not be an issue if your injectors are sized properly.

Well I will look into my options after the engine is back in. I should have tie to get the head and crank tomorrow.

Back