Civic Ground Control coils on the 2

:
Mazda 2
Hi all, I recently got the 2013 Mazda2 Sport and did my first autocross in it last month. Extremely fun, especially in the wet. Already got wheels and tires to compete in STF and thinking about suspension. I read several STF build threads on this forum and pretty excited to get into this.
For now, my plan is to get the ST suspensions XTA coilovers. But I remembered I have my old civic's Ground control coils lying around so did some test fit.

Here is a picture of the front spring and spring seat from the civic installed on the rear of the car. The car is resting on the ground.

The spring is 5" tall (or 6", I forgot) and is too short. If I went over dips, it will probably fly out. But do you think it'll work if the springs were 1 or 2" longer with helper springs? Is it safe?

I ask this because not many coilover companies offer custom springs rates in the rear and it would be nice to have the option to change spring rates.
I may be able to use the XTA springs seats, but I currently have no clue if they are compatible with Eibach springs.

In the front, there was no way to use the GC springs with the stock mount, unless I made a custom top mount like others on the forum.
Let me know what you guys think.

FYI, I am not driving around with those springs.

Check out my build thread(link in signature) for some ideas.

Depending on the spring rates you use(you didn't say?)... you'll need a 6 or 7 in spring most likely. I literally JUST sold off my entire setup to a Mazda2 owner in Pico Vista, California... maybe you could figure out who that is and see what it's like before you pull the trigger on serious spring rates?

FWIW if I were to do it again, I'd get BC Coilovers with something in the region of 600/600 to 700/700lb springs(or whatever metric equivalent that is). Depending on how it feels I'd send them off to Feal for revalving. BCs use a 46mm piston so Bilstein internals will fit, you can do anything you want valving-wise if you have someone who knows what they're doing assemble them.

I chose to finally press the easy button and buy a Miata for track, and the 2 is now a daily driver.

Height adjustable rear perches meant for a Toyota Yaris from I THINK Megan Racing? was what I used, got them used from a friend for $50.

Heads up that Koni yellow rear shocks are horrible for 400+lb springs. KYB AGX rear shocks meant for a Ford Focus(like 04 body style) are pretty darn good for 450-700lb springs. Not perfect, but close to it, and they're dirt cheap($130ish for BOTH from Summit). It's all in my build thread.

Also check out the Mazda2 Owners Facebook group... this forum is basically dead, everyone is there. It's a nice tight-knit community.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mazda2Owners/

Last edited:
Thanks flatlander. Those are much needed tips. I was also looking at BCs and Konis, it's like you read my mind.
I actually went straight to STF from reading your build thread. I'll have to comb through it again.

To add to what Tony has already said in the rear it is easy to fit the threaded spring mounts. I had the threaded part on top and zip tied with with the spring to the chassis, that way even when the rear beam is lowered all of the way they never fall out. There is like a 1" gap on mine when I have it in the air.

For the front, Mazdaspeed sells upper hat bearings which are machined a little to fit a 2.5" spring. That is what I have been using in mine. I have a build thread out there for what I have in my car as well

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830138-ZPS-Build-Thread

Zach

Thanks Zach. Good info in your build thread!
I ended up ordering BC racing coilovers with swift springs. 12 kg/mm front and rear springs rates. Haven't seen any reviews on the Mazda2, but saw several good reviews for other cars so we'll see how it is.

Last edited:
BCs are what Jeff used(Jasyatz) if you want to dig for his build thread. He actually drove my car to compare to his BCs(not same day, his 2 was sold at that point), and they felt very similar except the Koni race inserts had a bit more compression.

You'll be happy performance wise with your setup. Run no front sway bar and add a DDMWorks rear as a starting point and that's about where everyone who used to autocross these semi-seriously left off.

I never experimented with a front bar myself but it may prove beneficial by not needing to run as much camber and/or front spring rate(maybe 10kg/mm). Jeff did play with front bars and always came back to removing the front and running 650 to 700lb springs.

Hmm, that's interesting. Never thought about no front sway bar. I'll try that out.

Went to another autocross event this weekend. My PAX time was 138 out of 220 and a STF prepped Honda Fit was 3 seconds faster than me, which was kind of discouraging. I have a lot to improve on.

You'll get faster with time and experience. I autocrossed for like 4 years in stock, underprepared cars(my 09 Mazda3 for most of it, then my Mazda2 stock and nearly stock for a short while before the STF build)... seat time is really the only thing that will make a big difference. Working on the driver is probably the hardest thing to do, but ultimately the least expensive.

I highly recommend doing some go-karting regularly to train to get faster as far as learning faster lines and throttle/brake modulation when near the limits of traction.

Also at your next even ask for someone who regularly PAXes in the top 10 in a FWD car to drive your car for a run(or better yet ask if they'll co-drive, maybe offer to pay their entry fee?)... that is the best way to get faster... to watch/ride along with a faster driver in your own car.

Also FWIW there's currently a proposal to do away with STF entirely, create an STH class for boosted hatchbacks, and STF cars all go to STS or STX. The 2 has no chance in STS against Miatas with suspension that doesn't suck and 30+ more whp. It's just a proposal for now, but I suspect it will go through because STF is such a poorly attended class overall.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...020/306/17-fastrack-April-Solo.pdf?1490029181

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back