What is this index-card-sized carpet piece that I found in my 2016 CX-9 GT?

js2

:
2016 CX-9 GT FWD
I purchased a 2016 CX-9 GT about two weeks ago, and I found this piece under the driver's seat. I've looked the interior of the car over several times now and I can't figure out where it belongs. Anyone know?

JSsYby3.jpg

sA7avy8.jpg

Carpet sample in case you want to match the drapes?

Lol. It's got velcro on one side... it's clearly supposed to attach somewhere in the vehicle. Someone else with a 2016 CX-9 must have this piece in their car.

Look under the front edge of the second row seats, driver side. You will see a spot for it there (recessed shape in the carpet).

Last edited:
Well it does fit there sort of, at least better than anywhere else I found. So thanks. What a strange piece that someone at Mazda decided it was worth the effort to design and manufacture.

Yeah it is weird. I found it when I installed the Canadian market floor liners. (Which by the way are great!)

I have mine under my heel under the gas pedal. I know the stock mats have a spot on them right there that looks like it's supposed to prevent wear, but I hated the way my last mats wore there. I know some will say it's dangerous, so do so at your own risk, YMMV, etc. I will look in the second row to see if it looks better there. :)

Goes on front passenger side, right below the seat. Had the same question at the dealership and he gave me the instructions.

Back