Off Topic.... GX 470? Any current or former owners?

Yeah those luxury vehicles have all kind the features we sometime can't even think of. Since your GX 460 Premium do have a HVAC control for rear passengers, I wonder does it have two side AC vents on the B pillars with total of 4 like BMW 7 Series?

Yeah... 4 vents... I guess rear two would technically be considered "C" pillar

Yeah... 4 vents... I guess rear two would technically be considered "C" pillar
Oh, I forgot your GX has 3 rows! So for the third row passengers there're two AC vents on the C pillars? I still think those AC vents should be on the ceiling like those minivans for rear passengers. On BMW 7 Series, the rear passengers gets 4 AC vents like front passengers where 2 side vents are on the B pillars.

The 4 vents are right at the junction of the roof and pillars. So far seems to keep temps throughout the cabin at specified temp but I haven't sat in rear seats so don't know for sure. As for foot level just the floor level vents at second row.. There aren't any front row type facing vents in the back two rows.

It must work ok or no one carries more than two passengers as system is basically the same with current '10-'17 run

Plannng to hand off the old Explorer to nephew this weekend.

Rear AC Vents

The 4 vents are right at the junction of the roof and pillars. So far seems to keep temps throughout the cabin at specified temp but I haven't sat in rear seats so don't know for sure. As for foot level just the floor level vents at second row.. There aren't any front row type facing vents in the back two rows.

It must work ok or no one carries more than two passengers as system is basically the same with current '10-'17 run

Plannng to hand off the old Explorer to nephew this weekend.
So rear AC vents in your GX are like side-ceiling AC vents in my old VW Vanagon:

attachment.php

IMG_9885.JPG

4 rear AC vents on the top and side of the ceiling instead of only 2 at the rear end of center console definitely are more effective in a 3-row SUV/CUVs especially for the third-row passengers! :)

That picture shows it well.

I think there might be a couple thigh level vents as well in the rear third on the sides. I haven't checked it out though with HVAC running but they look like they might be heater or vents of some kind.

Center seat is 40/20/40 split and the mid row can recline and also has manual slide travel with a lever typical on front of each seat. I guess the power folding rear 3rd must be an option since I've seen several videos now of them being folded manually. The rears are split so you can keep one up and still have some limited cargo space. There really isn't any usable cargo space with both of the rear 3rd seat in upright position. If headrest is in upright position it will also automatically stow that. You do have to flip headrest manually up but you can power recline the rear 3rd row while sitting it in.

I wish the second row folded flatter than it does but it will still be useable for cargo. You obviously lose a little room for cargo as well in the 3rd row area since seats stow in floor.

Misc video on how they generally operate

TFL Review of basically the same vehicle as mine including color inside & out but mine is a '12... they make the mistake of calling it built on 4Runner platform instead of the Prado.

I wasn't so sure of the color... the brown pearl metallic color or "Fire Agate Pearl" as Lexus likes to call it. It grew on me in though when I saw it in person.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying your new GX! Have you tried to tow anything yet? How is the gas mileage comparing to your Explorer?

I have a 2016 cx5 Gt with tech pack and love it , great car and fun to drive . I always wanted a 4runner since I surf fish on the East coast and finally got a 2005 Limited and it is awesome . Like the difference between both vehicles .Can't go wrong with a Mazda or Toyota and I think I have the best of both worlds when it comes to SUVs .

Back