Off Topic.... GX 470? Any current or former owners?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Giving my old Explorer to one of my nephews but need to replace with something that has about the same towing capacity.

The old first gen ('03-'09) Lexus GX 470 (Toyota Land Cruiser Prada) has my interest. Aside from dealing with the 90K mile timing belt interval it seems to be an extremely reliable yet capable off road vehicle. Towing capacity is rated at around 6500 lbs but wouldn't go near that.

Any current or former owners?

2006_lexus_gx-470_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

2009_lexus_gx_470_angularrear.jpg

Are you sure you're talking about Lexus GX 470, not Lexus LX 470? GX is an upgraded Toyota 4Runner with power and drive train from Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX. LX 470 is an upgraded Toyota Land Cruiser and it is bigger.

Like I mentioned before that a close friend of mine just moved from Connecticut to Bay Area in California for retirement had a 2003 Lexus LX 470. He sold his LX in Connecticut thinking 17 highway mpg may not worth to drive his LX to the Bay Area. He put his 13-years-old LX with 100,000 miles on Craigslist sold within a day for $10,000. He said his LX had never had ANY issues since new other than routine maintenance. Even the battery is still OEM from factory survived 13 cold NE winters! He had not changed the timing belt yet as his mechanic who knows LX very well told him not to worry about changing timing belt "too early"!

I believe LX is an excellent true SUV which can replace your Ford Experior nicely. I'd try to figure out when did Toyota change the timing belt to timing chain on its 4.7L V8 in LX and start from there. I wouldn't worry about 1st-year model on Lexus as my friend's 2003 LX just had model change but his LX has proven to be bullet-proof! The only problem is these LX's are hard to find and pretty expensive in used market. Prepare to pay more to get one!

The GX 470 is what I am interested in....of course a Land Cruiser/LX 470 at right price and condition would also be considered. It appears they went with the chain with the gen 2 GX 460 in 2010. The 5.7L motor in the latter Land Cruiser/LX 570 I assume is chain as well.

There are some suspension aspects on this GX 470 model including adjustable for comfort as well as height. I would normally avoid this kind of thing but many owners with 200-300K miles that haven't had an issue as well. IFS in the rear of the 460 and solid axle for the 4Runner from what I gather. Lots of similar parts but not a simple badge job either between the two.

At least it's a common Toyota V8 motor. Normally a vehicle with close to 100K miles would scare me off but willing to take the risk.

The GX 470 is what I am interested in....of course a Land Cruiser/LX 470 at right price and condition would also be considered. It appears they went with the chain with the gen 2 GX 460 in 2010. The 5.7L motor in the latter Land Cruiser/LX 570 I assume is chain as well.

There are some suspension aspects on this GX 470 model including adjustable for comfort as well as height. I would normally avoid this kind of thing but many owners with 200-300K miles that haven't had an issue as well. IFS in the rear of the 460 and solid axle for the 4Runner from what I gather. Lots of similar parts but not a simple badge job either between the two.

At least it's a common Toyota V8 motor. Normally a vehicle with close to 100K miles would scare me off but willing to take the risk.
So you did mean GX then. I have a local friend who has a 2005 Lexus GX 470. It's smaller and I feel the built quality is not as good as the other friend's 2003 LX 470. All reviews indicate LX is better built than GX, hence the price is a lot higher in new or used car market. If I were you I'd try to find a LX instead of a GX but I also understand LX is hard to find. LX owners normally would keep their LX forever as LX seems never break! Although I don't like them either due to reliability concerns but friend's LX does have Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) and Adjustable Height Control suspension (AHC) which had not given him any problems.

Last edited:
No, and noone talks about them, either. Because they have no surprises, they don't cause angst, and they do exactly what they look like they do. They are like that cab/uber driver that pulls up and says "I am going to get you where you want to go in 20 minutes, because that is our distance in this traffic from your destination", and then, quietly and without fanfare, does.

Boss move. Get the Lexus for towing/playing around if you can.

Or save some coin and the Toyota....whatever size you're looking for. 4Runner, Sequoia. V6 vs V8...you might prefer the v8 for towing.

only thing I might look for more info on is the KDSS suspension....I know the 4runners have had those leak and it's a somewhat costly repair. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but it's extra "stuff" that gives you more stability in the corners, and I believe the equipped 4runners share that same KDSS system with the GX. I'm jkst not sure it's something you would really need.

I just went 4Runner shopping and learned about this stuff. I didn't want KDSS, or need it for 2+K.

I know LX is probably more stout build-wise but not sure sure I want that size vehicle. The GX is close or just a tad smaller than my Explorer. Definitely going with something with a V8. I'll need to check further but I think the KDSS option is only on the sport models. I've only seen a few of those for sale. It does sound cool in theory as I believe it is an automatic stabilizer bar decoupler for better off-road articulation. Some of the Jeeps have that IIRC from factory but it is manual activation. I could be wrong on activation piece on Jeeps. I've always liked these GX 470s for some reason. It would definitely be a comfort upgrade to the 21 year old Explorer which was just a basic model. Pretty sure I would go with the Lexus over the 4Runner... nothing wrong with latter but interior on GX is pretty dang nice IMO... actual walnut. I'll be pulling that 3rd row seat out if optioned with one.

Kinda leaning toward a basic sport model '06-'09 4Runner with the 4.7L V8. The same motor as the GX and LX of the era. I know.. it will have timing belt but will work service cost into the deal. I prefer a private sale if possible. These seem to be quite reliable and have a towing capacity of 7000 lbs. This exceeds the rating of GX and LX by around 500 lbs. Really looking for something off-road capable but still fairly basic like my old Explorer. The advanced suspension systems on the GX and LX can really cost if it ever needs to be replaced...although there are options to go with standard suspension components.

Kinda leaning toward a basic sport model '06-'09 4Runner with the 4.7L V8. The same motor as the GX and LX of the era. I know.. it will have timing belt but will work service cost into the deal. I prefer a private sale if possible. These seem to be quite reliable and have a towing capacity of 7000 lbs. This exceeds the rating of GX and LX by around 500 lbs. Really looking for something off-road capable but still fairly basic like my old Explorer. The advanced suspension systems on the GX and LX can really cost if it ever needs to be replaced...although there are options to go with standard suspension components.

Good choice, there are a few (including TRD) supercharger setups for it.

Really want body on frame since towing & some off-road is in the equation... I realize this won't be a vehicle to toss in the corners nor off the wall of MPG hall of shame. Utility and something for the next 10-20 years. I also don't expect that there won't be something to fix along the way as well. IMO.. that is something not in the cards today.

At this point looking at 4Runners, GX 460/470, Infiniti '11 & later QX56 & QX80 (Nissan Patrol), '06-'10 Land Cruiser & LX 470/570

⋯ At this point looking at 4Runners, GX 460/470, Infiniti '11 & later QX56 & QX80 (Nissan Patrol), '06-'10 Land Cruiser & LX 470/570
Still looking? I know getting a good used vehicle is hard like buying the hot-selling house in your Seattle area! That's why I only buy new cars for many years which is a lot easier with no hidden risks! Can you consider buying a new Toyota 4Runner that would make you happy on towing for a long time? :)

Still looking? I know getting a good used vehicle is hard like buying the hot-selling house in your Seattle area! That's why I only buy new cars for many years which is a lot easier with no hidden risks! Can you consider buying a new Toyota 4Runner that would make you happy on towing for a long time? :)

I like to buy new as well but this vehicle won't be a DD either.

Ironically... thought about new 4Runner this morning and then hearing that '18 is probably new gen 4Runner model had me thinking I need to find more about that line. Not likely to address towing capacity though with '18 at 5K lbs... MPG will likely get much better as base V6 will go from 4.0L to 3.5L. I still may consider a new 4Runner... might be able to find a good end of model year deal. I will probably get a limited model as that is the only one that can do AWD via part time 4WD and I like that for rain slick roads alone.

I like to buy new as well but this vehicle won't be a DD either.

Ironically... thought about new 4Runner this morning and then hearing that '18 is probably new gen 4Runner model had me thinking I need to find more about that line. Not likely to address towing capacity though with '18 at 5K lbs... MPG will likely get much better as base V6 will go from 4.0L to 3.5L. I still may consider a new 4Runner... might be able to find a good end of model year deal. I will probably get a limited model as that is the only one that can do AWD via part time 4WD and I like that for rain slick roads alone.
I believe you could get a good deal buying a new 4Runner. A friend of mine bought a new 4Runner several years ago for his son. The reason? The price was too good to refuse! I believe most Toyota buyers would go for Highlander for bigger interior、good fuel economy、and better ride due to its unibody design. They don't care too much on body-on-frame design like the 4Runner. That's why I believe 4Runner has limited customer base and you could find some excellent deal for a new one!

I found a really nice '12 Lexus GX 460 Premium (Land Cruiser Prado) today with only 35K miles. I'll post some pics at some point... I think this thing has more technology than any other car I have owned. It surprisingly corners pretty dang well with shocks on sport and considering body on frame and over 5K lbs. Nothing compared to the CX-5 though....not going there.

All off-road gadgets from adjustable suspension, crawl modes, KDSS system that allows for greater articulation of sway bars off-road but firms up in the corner. The 17 speaker Mark Levinson sounds pretty good to my ears. Got my heated steering wheel back and rear seats are also heated. Power folding mirrors... headlight washers, lots of memory functions.... a Cadillac 4x4 I guess. I could easily drive this thing across country. Heated & Cooled 10 way seats for driver and front passenger.

This has to be one of the smoothest V8 motors I have ever experienced. I thought I read basically the LS 460 motor but not direct injected in this version.

Definitely not the most powerful V8 at 301HP/329 ft lb torque but it can keep up with itself fine. I reset MPG meter on 30 mile drive home, set cruise at 70 and got 21MPG. For the size of this whale and weight.... not gonna complain.

Now need to work on cleaning up the old Explorer to give to my nephew.

I found a really nice '12 Lexus GX 460 Premium (Land Cruiser Prado) today with only 35K miles.
Ha, you finally found one you like! Good for you! Honestly Lexus GX is not Toyota Land Cruiser equivalent (that's Lexus LX) but a super-sized Toyota 4-Runner! For 2012 that means you don't need to worry about timing belt anymore! Too many technologies? That should be fine with Lexus quality and reliability! :)

Oh I know it isn't a LC but other parts of the world this J150 platform is know as a mini LC even if in name.
On a side note this engine uses 0W-20 so plan to use the Mazda moly in it as well.
I didn't know there's a mini Land Cruiser "Prado" exist as I always thought GX is a super-sized 4Runner!

Yeah I guess this is common misconception... lots of interchangeable parts but enough differences to make it a unique vehicle. In other markets I guess they sell more modest versions. The biggest complaint most have is that big rear swinging door. It doesn't bother me as it reminds me of my dad's old '93 Isuzu Trooper. Still like my CX-5... this GX just addresses those needs it couldn't provide. A 4Runner would have worked as welll.... but this deal was too hard to turn down.

I'll be back soon to this site... just trying to find the in and outs of this new "used" vehicle. Funny thing.... the Mazda cabin cleaner is massively easy to change in like a minute or so. Thought it couldn't be easier... in the GX.... a minuscule amount easier

- glovebox open
- small panel that easily snaps out of glovebox itself
- then small panel that opens to the filter where filter can be replaced

Possible stopwatch to know what is easier but both are easy.

My Nissan/Infiniti products are a 30-60 minute project.

This vehicle has a lot of features i haven't had before or for not more than 20 years

- power folding mirrors
- power rear seat heaters with rear seat controls for HVAC
used-2014-lexus-gx_460-premium4x4htdacseatsblindspotrearcamnavpushstart-12934-16052419-18-800.jpg

- adjustable suspension
- adjustable height suspension
- side dimming mirrors
- cooled front seats
- 10 way power passenger seat with power lumbar
- softest leather even on door trim
- real wood throughout as well as on steering wheel
- 17 speaker stereo
- power articulated seats in the rear cargo area to make for 7 passengers (bought full Weathertech throughout) but un-likey to use that rear seat
- power folding side mirrors
- lights literally in every cubby hole and everwhere... under seats and 4 lights underneath the vehicle itself to illuminate the ground
- DVDs play on the nav screen as long as in park and parking brake is set
- HVAC that has some kind of smog detection that closes off outside air depending on pollitants
- more but will post later.... really happy with rig but wouldn't drop new dime on this vehicle. I am content since substantial depreciation has already been taken by previous owner.
- full size spare
- 6500lb towing capacity...although IMO body on frame can be pushed (Toyota one of the few that adheres to SAE J2807 towing standard on vehicles)...4 and 9 pin electrical towing connectors

Funny thing... we see CX-5 options we don't get in US vs say Australia... center console can be had with a beverage cooler. Not here... I see LX 570 can be had with this option though.

Killer for some... no powered rear hatch... no... a big swinging non-powered door.... like a 90's Isuzu Trooper. The upper rear window on rear hatch swings up like my '96 Ford Explorer though.

Probably some V8s also doing this today but for the 5K+ weight of this thing and still getting 21MPG on highway I am impressed. This 4.6L is apparently absent of much tech... no cylinder deactivation either. Basically the RV cam/non-direct injection version of the LS-460 motor.

Last edited:

⋯ Funny thing... we see CX-5 options we don't get in US vs say Australia... center console can be had with a beverage cooler. Not here... I see LX 570 can be had with this option though.

Killer for some... no powered rear hatch... no... a big swinging non-powered door.... like a 90's Isuzu Trooper. The upper rear window on rear hatch swings up like my '96 Ford Explorer though.
See, I told you you should get LX so that you can have beverage cooler and power liftgate! ;)

Yeah those luxury vehicles have all kind the features we sometime can't even think of. Since your GX 460 Premium do have a HVAC control for rear passengers, I wonder does it have two side AC vents on the B pillars with total of 4 like BMW 7 Series?

Back