2010 Mazda 3 OEM remote start issues

patrick92

:
2010 Mazda 3 2.5 Hatchback
Howdy.

New to the forums. My wife's car, a 2010 Mazda 3 push button start, is having issues with my newly installed remote start system that was installed today. I purchased the OEM remote start from Mazda, hooked everything up today with a tech, go to remote start the car and it doesn't start. It only honks once then it honks eight times. According to the Mazda cheat sheet, 8 honks indicates that it is in accessory mode. We both followed all of the instructions. Uninstalled it and installed it all again and still ended up with the same results. Went on the forums to see if I could find any help but found very little. I also read on the forums that "every 1 in 3 remote start modules are bad"... Not really sure what to do at this point but to call Mazda tomorrow and see if they can send me a replacement module. Has anyone ever ran into this problem before? I have the factory alarm installed if that helps any...

Patrick

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have one I bought like 2-3 years ago and never got it working. Just started toying with it the other day because I had some free time.

I never got a chance to toy with it. I sure wish it would work though. Mazda will still charge me if I take it to the dealership even though there is a warranty on the remote start. Hopefully someone with some knowledge will chime in so I can get it working.

I would go over the manual one more time. These systems usually have connections to tap into the shifter and also the brake pedal. Not sure on the system you are installing but I rember from an aftermaket system I installed a while ago.

I would go over the manual one more time. These systems usually have connections to tap into the shifter and also the brake pedal. Not sure on the system you are installing but I rember from an aftermaket system I installed a while ago.

I have literally read the manual over 10 times trying to get this thing installed. Step by step by step each and every time. I believe it is something wrong with the actual remote starter that you connect to the ECU. If someone is located in Las Vegas and wants to come take a look that would be awesome.

Hi Everyone,
I've got a 2011 Mazda 6 with pushbutton start and I am having the exact same problem. I've been doing some research and I think that the remote start installation manual may have an error....

In the troubleshooting section, it says that 8 honks means, "Accessory is ON or steering wheel lock is not engaged." I looked at the remote start schematic and there's no steering wheel input. The Accessory connection wire is red and is supposed to connect to SKE (Keyless Control Module) terminal 4H. In the service manual, terminal 4H is IG2 relay. That seems pointless. It has nothing to do with sensing if the car is in Accessory On mode. It actually duplicates the remote start's Ignition Wire (red/yellow) that goes to SKE terminal 4E.

I looked closer at the service manual and I'm guessing that the remote start's Accessory connection red wire is either supposed to connect to either SKE pin 4A or 4F. 4A is the steering wheel lock input. 4F is the Accessory relay coil output. I haven't tried re-wiring my setup yet. First I'm going to try connecting to 4F and if that doesn't work, then I'm going to try 4A.

I'm probably going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll update this thread with my finding.

BTW, the thing that blows me away is that if this is the problem, it made it in to two revisions of the Remote Start installation manual. The manual that came with mine was Rev. C from 8-2011. the one that you can find online is Rev. D from 9-2012. Maybe Mazda sent out a TSB for this but I'm just a shade tree mechanic so I don't have access to that.

( I decided to register and post here because this is the only Google result that comes up when you do a search for Mazda Remote start 8 honks.)

SKE bottom connector.JPG

SKE pin function 4A to 4H.JPG

(This is the Mazda6 remote start manual. The connectors are flipped left-right vs the above service manual diagram.)
Mazda6remotestartH18B_page12.png

Later,
Ben

Last edited:
Back